Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:21 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Anybody can steal your info (whether wireless or not) if they have the right programs. Somebody can secure their WIFI, but a simple packet sniffing program can break the encription easily. Using the internet is never 100% safe. That's the price of convenience.
Sounds like we got ourselves another script kiddie!
Well, sometimes the pray might just be the hunter, have you ever heard of the term 'honeycomb'?
Let's just say, I knew some hackers who would have a 'wide open' Wi-Fi for their sneaky, semi-smart neighbors to connect to which in return would actually open their PC for their enjoyment.
But unless you are war-driving, chances of running into one of those honeycombs are pretty slim.....or is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Anybody can steal your info (whether wireless or not) if they have the right programs. Somebody can secure their WIFI, but a simple packet sniffing program can break the encription easily. Using the internet is never 100% safe. That's the price of convenience.
WEP is easily broken. WPA with a good passphase is NOT. SSL connections (such as to your online bank or Amazon's checkout page) are also very strongly encrypted and not breakable within our lifetimes given today's computation power. Email can be secure or insecure. Most ISP's do not require SSL between your client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, etc) and the server so everything being transmitted, including your email password, is sent in the clear. Check with your ISP to see if their servers support SSL and what the settings are.

Web mail can be secure if the host supports it and you enable it. For example, if you use Gmail and point your browser to www.gmail.com, your logon will be secure, but your actual session will not be. That means the emails you're reading could be seen by someone nearby sniffing the wireless traffic. If you explicitly request a secure connection by pointing to https://mail.google.com, your connection will remain secure so no one can intercept it.

General web surfing is usually not secure so if you're on an open wifi connection or a poorly secured one, such as a WEP secured network, your surfing could be monitored.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
WEP is easily broken. WPA with a good passphase is NOT.
Not to stray further off-topic but is WPA2 more secure than just WPA?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
Not to stray further off-topic but is WPA2 more secure than just WPA?
Not as far as I know. The key with WPA(2) is to use a good, long, unguessable passphrase that's not in the dictionary. Make it look like a couple of cats walked all over your keyboard and no one's going to break it before the sun runs out of hydrogen.

Something like one of these beasts would be ideal but since you're not going to be able to enter it easily, all of your wifi devices would have to support entering the key via cut and paste from a txt file. Even if you don't go with one of these crazy passphrases, the closer you can get yours to looking like that, the better.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,564 times
Quote:
Not as far as I know. The key with WPA(2) is to use a good, long, unguessable passphrase that's not in the dictionary. Make it look like a couple of cats walked all over your keyboard and no one's going to break it before the sun runs out of hydrogen.

Something like one of these beasts would be ideal but since you're not going to be able to enter it easily, all of your wifi devices would have to support entering the key via cut and paste from a txt file. Even if you don't go with one of these crazy passphrases, the closer you can get yours to looking like that, the better.
Well life is good then . Plus, this is good info for lots of people to know

Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 7,517 times
Default Internet Options

I am moving to Broomfield at the end of this month, I currently run Lenox on my computer and I'm having a hard time finding a service out there that supports Lenox. Does anyone have any helpful info on this?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM

24 posts, read 64,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwehmeier View Post
I am moving to Broomfield at the end of this month, I currently run Lenox on my computer and I'm having a hard time finding a service out there that supports Lenox. Does anyone have any helpful info on this?
Are you sure you mean Lenox and not Linux? In the event you're talking about Linux, you could ask them to come out and install it and set up the network configuration yourself, which generally happens when you plug the ethernet cable into your computer. If they won't install it without needing to connect to your computer, and won't install it on a computer running anything but mac or windows maybe have a friend show up with a laptop running windows or macOS, have them set it up on there and then just plug it into your computer. Good luck

Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyTee View Post
Are you sure you mean Lenox and not Linux? In the event you're talking about Linux, you could ask them to come out and install it and set up the network configuration yourself, which generally happens when you plug the ethernet cable into your computer. If they won't install it without needing to connect to your computer, and won't install it on a computer running anything but mac or windows maybe have a friend show up with a laptop running windows or macOS, have them set it up on there and then just plug it into your computer. Good luck
Yup, Linux. Thank you!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Just tell them you have a Windows PC. The installer won't give a crap and besides, his job is to get the modem to sync with their network, not troubleshoot your computer even if it were Windows. Once he gets the modem to sync, plug your computer it and DHCP will do the rest.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Just tell them you have a Windows PC. The installer won't give a crap and besides, his job is to get the modem to sync with their network, not troubleshoot your computer even if it were Windows. Once he gets the modem to sync, plug your computer it and DHCP will do the rest.
I tried that once with Comcast and their network never synced up with my computer, yet they still charged me for a month worth of internet service. So far Comcast is the only network I've been able to find in the Broomfield area. I'd rather not deal with Comcast agian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver