Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 07:13 PM

23 posts, read 107,425 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if Denver is the type of metro area in that people are out and about walking around town. Kind of like NYC but with a lesser population. Mostly everybody here, where I live now, in central Florida drives in a car. Sometimes I get the urge to want to walk to the store, which is not that far away,but it makes me feel alittle weird because nobody is out walking, even when the weather still nice and not too hot yet.

I would also like to know how close the ski resorts and are. Does it take alot of time to get to them ? Also would like to know what kind of entertainment does Denver offer for married couples in their late 30's. Would appreciate the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by val350z View Post
I would like to know if Denver is the type of metro area in that people are out and about walking around town. Kind of like NYC but with a lesser population. Mostly everybody here, where I live now, in central Florida drives in a car. Sometimes I get the urge to want to walk to the store, which is not that far away,but it makes me feel alittle weird because nobody is out walking, even when the weather still nice and not too hot yet.

I would also like to know how close the ski resorts and are. Does it take alot of time to get to them ? Also would like to know what kind of entertainment does Denver offer for married couples in their late 30's. Would appreciate the info.
No, Denver is not particularly a walking town. People may take the RTD (public bus) downtown, or to work, but most drive to the grocery store, mall, etc. Boulder makes a lot of noise about public transportation and alternatives to the automobile, but there are a lot of cars on the road there.

Most of the ski resorts can be accessed within 1 1/2 - 2 hrs , in good traffic.

Don't know what couples in their 30s do. Haven't been there for a long time.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,334 times
We are in our early-mid 30s, so I'll take a stab here I think it depends on where you live and the kind of work you do. I work at home, live in Washington Park area and probably fill my car up every couple of weeks. We can walk to Gaylord street for bread from bakery, wine shop, a birthday card or a bite to eat. I can go to Wash Park to run and walk to my daughter's school. That said, I still go in my car to go to the gym, grocery store and to visit friends. However, most of what I do in within 5-10 min of my home based on my central location. Now, if you lived close to downtown you could walk more (especially if you worked downtown) or if you lived in Cherry Creek you could walk to everything, including 2 different grocery stores and a summer farmer's market. That said, all of it is pretty moot if you are driving 30 min-1 hour in a commute. It is hard to answer not knowing where you may be working. But yes, it is a very walkable/bikeable city- many bike lanes, a 30+mile (I think, or more?) bike trail that crosses Denver, and I believe hooks into a boulder trail that is off the highway. Sidewalks everywhere in the city. I see alot of people out and about walking. Even more in Denver than I did when I worked in Boulder.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 AM

23 posts, read 107,425 times
Thanks so much for your input. Very informative. If anyone else has any, please let me know.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
I think that it is very much walking-oriented, in pockets. You said "Denver", and I think it'd be fair to say that Denver itself is fairly pedestrian oriented. Not NYC by any means, but you do see a lot of people outside.

However, the suburbs are largely auto-oriented, except perhaps for a few of the older suburbs. Boulder, is of course, a world unto itself.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:04 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
People"do" populate the streets but not as late as NYC. Theres alot of brewerys/sports bars to hang out. Alot of sports events to visit (Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Football-Pro teams) Museums, amusement parks, shopping.
Its tiny compared to NY but you still need to use big city common sense!

Old 03-21-2007, 05:17 PM

95 posts, read 503,426 times
Denver is safer than NYC for walking. Downtown Denvah is walking friendly. Lightrail has now connected the Denver Metro area nicely.

Life is fun, if you make it fun...

Old 03-21-2007, 07:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGood View Post
Denver is safer than NYC for walking. Downtown Denvah is walking friendly. Lightrail has now connected the Denver Metro area nicely.

Life is fun, if you make it fun...
Yeah but gang life has infultrated Denva! Crips and bloods are not just in California!! +1 for NYC!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:40 PM

95 posts, read 503,426 times
5 Points is not the location of choice

15th and Downing....safer than some areas, such as hoefax...

Old 03-22-2007, 09:25 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGood View Post
5 Points is not the location of choice

15th and Downing....safer than some areas, such as hoefax...
You've obviously never been to Denver before.

15th and Downing?? Where is that? There's no such place as 15th and Downing. More proof that you don't speak from firsthand knowledge -- just picking up on what you heard someone else say.

5 points "not the location of choice" -- are you saying that because there (used to be) minorities there? What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: