Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm so used to the short take-offs and landings in OC that flying through Colorado Springs and Denver are boring by comparison. One time landing at COS I wondered if the pilot was ever going to apply the brakes once we were on the ground or if we were just going to coast to a stop on the huge runway. Same thing taking off. Its like they're using half power as opposed to the near catapult shot out of OC.

I haven't kept up on the plans for El Toro but I know a huge park was one proposal but thankfully they figured out it would have been a huge money pit. I guess now is slated for a bunch uses but I don't know what anybody's time line is. El Toro could have been to John Wayne what DIA is to Stapleton but all the nimbys that bought houses next to a Marine Corp Air Station suddenly decided that jets are bad. Too bad really.
That's funny that you mention the takeoffs-landings at DIA. I've had the same thought when taking off at DIA - "How long is this runway? Are we going to hit the end? Get us off the ground already!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM

152 posts, read 616,592 times
Speaking of limited bathrooms. I work for a company that's doing work on the DIA bathrooms in the International section. There's only one bathroom in that area and it's far from where you get off the plane. DIA fineally said enough, when people were literally peeing and pooing themselves in a corner of the terminal because they could not make it to the bathroom. I think that's funny.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
So how does it work if you come in on an international flight to DIA? All the other airports where I've flown in internationally have a separate terminal and baggage claim area so you're funnelled into the Customs people after picking up your bags.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:26 PM

809 posts, read 2,877,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm so used to the short take-offs and landings in OC that flying through Colorado Springs and Denver are boring by comparison. One time landing at COS I wondered if the pilot was ever going to apply the brakes once we were on the ground or if we were just going to coast to a stop on the huge runway. Same thing taking off. Its like they're using half power as opposed to the near catapult shot out of OC.

I haven't kept up on the plans for El Toro but I know a huge park was one proposal but thankfully they figured out it would have been a huge money pit. I guess now is slated for a bunch uses but I don't know what anybody's time line is. El Toro could have been to John Wayne what DIA is to Stapleton but all the nimbys that bought houses next to a Marine Corp Air Station suddenly decided that jets are bad. Too bad really.

This made me laugh because that's how it is when you fly out of Chicago's Midway airport! I couldn't sit FORWARD until after we'd lifted off and were leveling out!

And the landing......... good GOD! It's like the pilot has a death sentence........ or is trying to crash land it into the runway! I've never felt a 737 feel like it was going to fall apart until we "touched down" at Midway!

(Another funny story: when I flew home from Denver to chicago this past jan I flew into Ohare....... itd been snowing and it was slippery out so pilots really have to put the planes down hard so they "stick"..... apparently that's how they do it in the military on aircraft carriers so the planes "stick" and don't go flying off the end of the ship....... well when we "touched down" (more like slammed down) the copilot came on and was like "Navy Pilot" :P )

Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,434,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So how does it work if you come in on an international flight to DIA? All the other airports where I've flown in internationally have a separate terminal and baggage claim area so you're funnelled into the Customs people after picking up your bags.
DIA is the same. International Arrivals is at one end of the main terminal behind a set of mysterious frosted glass doors and all the immigration and customs goes on in there. I've had family go thro there, but haven't experienced it yet myself.

The only "unfriendly" thing I find about DIA is the baggage carousel lottery game. Ie; is my suitcase on the carousel they said it would be or is it somewhere completely different?! I don't think my suitcase has EVER been on the carousel the airline gave out and it's SO much fun trying to figure out where it really is.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:24 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,159,086 times
I've flown in and out of DIA at least ten times now and found it to be the most pleasant of the large hub airports I've ever used.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,317,779 times
DIA is a lot better than LAX or JFK. Plus you have directs to almost every place in North America worth going. You can't beat that.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:47 PM

17,921 posts, read 27,317,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysalsa View Post
I think that's funny.
Ummm... no it's not. My dad almost did that on us driving through Kansas. We found the only good Mexican restaurant in the whole state and about 30 minutes down the road from it, he wanted me to pull over. There wasn't even a bush. He made it to the next town, but he was embarassed about his insistance to go "number 2" right on the side of the road and...

It just ain't funny.

Happy V-day, ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
..... apparently that's how they do it in the military on aircraft carriers so the planes "stick" and don't go flying off the end of the ship....... well when we "touched down" (more like slammed down) the copilot came on and was like "Navy Pilot" :P )
Yeah, our pilot did that landing at DIA and he said, "Ouch".

Old 02-13-2009, 04:52 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,378,209 times
I would have to say that the Colorado Springs Airport is much easier to use then DIA, then again Pueblo is easier yet but we only have 3 flights a day so if you cant get around there you must be a idiot lol

My point is the larger the airport the harder it is to navigate.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,623,051 times
Well, I have to say this thread is informative at best! We are visiting Denver in July for 8 nights and so I will try and remember to post back and let you guys know what our impression was of DIA...atleast I have the heads-up that it might not be a pleasant experience.

But I am going to stay neutral and assume it'll be a great airport. Just what I assumed before I stumbled across this thread.

Happy Valentine's Day back at ya McGowdog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver