Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 32,745 times

Advertisements

whats the music scene like in denver? i like seeing inspiring musicians on the streets playing. i like a lot of reggae, but there doesnt seem to be much here, or maybe i havent had the chance to exploar the city enought. what kinds of music are big here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM

47 posts, read 167,091 times
When I lived there in '05 there didn't seem to be much of a local scene. Jam bands seemed really popular, along with 'chill' music, i.e. Jack Johnson at Red Rocks for some reason would be the concert experience of the year for some people.

Many very good touring bands stop in the smaller venues/area, but there doesn't seem to be much of a following for any 'underground' or indee bands. It seems like bands have been popular/had good followings in other places for a few years before 'making' it in Denver. An example would be My Morning Jacket. I had a friend who saw them in '03 out there in the Gothic or something, and there were like 200 people there. My brother saw them a couple of years ago at the venue down the way from the Fillmore on Colfax, and it was near capacity. Let it be known that this band should sell out anywhere they play.

I used to go to Dulcinea's 100 monkey on Colfax (on the same block as Santcho's Broken Arrow and the Fillmore), and they would be mainly jam bands. A reggae band would be there every now and then too. I think Herman's Hideaway is a pretty good spot, but I never made it there. Might check it out this late April when I visit, as I'm possibly looking into heading out there myself.

In other words you can keep yourself occupied with live music in the town, but you have to search for it...

Old 02-13-2009, 10:34 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Like fisherman said, bands usually have to be somewhat known to get a good showing in Denver. Denver doesn't really have much of an indie scene which can be disappointing but Denver's venues are constantly booked with shows and the bands are great. Most of the indie bands tend to focus on Boulder and the venues there. Some bands out of Boulder that I can think of off the top of my head are The String Cheese Incident, 3oh!3, and DeVotchKa. Denver has a few popular ones that have made it big too. Dressy Bessy, Breathe Carolina, Flobots, India Arie, Jill Sobule, and of course John Denver all got their start in Denver.

The best venues are Gothic, Ogden, and the Fillmore. Denver is also a popular spot for "chill bands" like Fisherman said. I'll be going to Flight of the Conchords, Arj Barker, and Iron & Wine at Red Rocks this May too. Denver gets a lot of shows like those. Dave Matthews is also a favorite in Denver.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:18 PM

168 posts, read 622,316 times
Default music scene

Hi - I'm a drummer connected to the Denver music scene. Check out Westword paper for a list of all shows & venues. Boulder also has ongoing reggae bands. Have fun.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:19 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Like fisherman said, bands usually have to be somewhat known to get a good showing in Denver. Denver doesn't really have much of an indie scene which can be disappointing but Denver's venues are constantly booked with shows and the bands are great. Most of the indie bands tend to focus on Boulder and the venues there. Some bands out of Boulder that I can think of off the top of my head are The String Cheese Incident, 3oh!3, and DeVotchKa. Denver has a few popular ones that have made it big too. Dressy Bessy, Breathe Carolina, Flobots, India Arie, Jill Sobule, and of course John Denver all got their start in Denver.

The best venues are Gothic, Ogden, and the Fillmore. Denver is also a popular spot for "chill bands" like Fisherman said. I'll be going to Flight of the Conchords, Arj Barker, and Iron & Wine at Red Rocks this May too. Denver gets a lot of shows like those. Dave Matthews is also a favorite in Denver.
Not to mention Firefall, Tommy Bolin, Dan Fogelberg, Nina Story, Kenny Passerelli (of Joe Walsh's Barnstorm), The Subdudes, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, and The Fray. Indeed, Denver has launched some fine talent. What Denver needs are some young versions of Chuck Morris and Barry Fey - two guys who vehemently championed the local Denver music scene in the 60"s and 70's.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
30H3----techno/slam pop dj. artists-- are from Boulder--had one of the hottest hits for 08--Don't Trust Her--They were all over the country's airwaves,clubs, and MTV...

Old 02-15-2009, 10:21 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
How could I forget The Fray!!!???!!!???

Old 02-16-2009, 09:44 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Rose Hill Drive is from Boulder.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM

14 posts, read 82,139 times
Question Denver MUSIC

Hi, Where does one find out where all the live music is playing in Denver. I've looked online at the westward, but it seems to leave out a lot and its a bit confusing to navigate around... Are there any other good sites to peruse?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 PM

119 posts, read 469,253 times
Check out area93.com. It's the website of an alt.rock radio station in town. You'll have to navigate the site to find the live music listings but it's on there. If you are looking for other types of music your best bet would be to google search radio stations here in town and that will probably lead you to listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver