Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne215 View Post
So tell me why I should stay???
Because it's no better anywhere else, it costs money to move, if you don't like the people in Colorado you probably won't like the people anywhere else either, if you have a job you need to hold on to it because times are getting bad. That's all I can think of right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Come to Arkansas.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
its just not the place i grew up...people are so heartless~
Living your entire life in the same place is boring. Sounds like you're young and homesick.

As for labeling nearly 3 million people as "heartless", that's just ignorant.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 AM

15 posts, read 55,447 times
Quote:
I graduate this Summer with a CJ B.S.....give me a reason to keep my baby daughter and husband here...we don't ski. We don't care about keeping up with the jones'. we like customer service and common courtesy. we don't like chains we like mom and pop restaurants and stores. we like friendly down to earth people. WE ARE NOT YUPPIES. Or country folk. We like artsy things but we are not trying to fool anyone by being apart of status directed cliche clique. We are 22 but not desperately clinging to adolesence. We like diversity but hate how we get stared down in our own neighborhood when we lived here first.

So where were you planning to move?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 AM

185 posts, read 405,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsRanchUrbanite View Post
Denver is the greatest city in the world! ...... Denver is by far the greatest city in the world.
No, it's not. Not by a long shot.

Last edited by Okie7597; 02-17-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
I graduate this Summer with a CJ B.S.....give me a reason to keep my baby daughter and husband here...we don't ski. We don't care about keeping up with the jones'. we like customer service and common courtesy. we don't like chains we like mom and pop restaurants and stores. we like friendly down to earth people. WE ARE NOT YUPPIES. Or country folk. We like artsy things but we are not trying to fool anyone by being apart of status directed cliche clique. We are 22 but not desperately clinging to adolesence. We like diversity but hate how we get stared down in our own neighborhood when we lived here first.

Move to Madison, WI. Madison is a city of 250,000 people with a metropolitan area of 600,000. Currently, Madison has the lowest unemployment in the whole country at 3.5%. Meanwhile, Denver is hovering around 9% unemployment and climbing. Unlike Denver, Madison is very friendly, with lots of affordable, locally owned businesses and restaurants aimed at the large (40,000+) student population. The Dane County Farmers Market is the largest farmers market in the entire country, and held every weekend on the grounds of the State Capitol. Madison has its fair share of yuppies, but the hippies in town far outnumber them. There's lots of organic farms outside of town and some really great breweries like New Glarus. Madison is also close to Wisconsin Dells (the water park capital of the world), Milwaukee (drunkest city in America, the city of festivals), and Chicago (Alpha World City). Madison is also the headquarters for the state of Wisconsin's government agencies and if you wanted a job in criminal justice, like a social worker for instance, it would be a good place to start.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Move to Madison, WI.
Yes, please do. Then you can get together and bash Denver in stereo.

Quote:
Currently, Madison has the lowest unemployment in the whole country at 3.5%.
Lie. Try 4.2%.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Denver is hovering around 9% unemployment and climbing.
Lie. Try 6.3%.

Denver and Colorado is holding its own. We got our state budget figured out too. California, on the other hand, could use our prayers.

God Bless America!

Quote:
... "are expected" ...
Are Expected? RU Srys? Take that weak stuff back to Swillwuakee.

4.2%.

Try 6.3%.

Oh, and BTW... my unemployment rate is 0%. I'm thinkin' about getting another job on the side and giving it to an unemployed person and see if he really wants it or not. I refuse to chase phantom fears. There's a lot of huge Metropolis areas I'd want to stay well away from, a.k.a. NY City, Chicago, LA, but Denver is NOT one of them.

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-17-2009 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Hey Jacob, looky up here... ^

Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yes, please do. Then you can get together and bash Denver in stereo.

Lie. Try 4.2%.

Lie. Try 6.3%.

Denver and Colorado is holding its own. We got our state budget figured out too. California, on the other hand, could use our prayers.

God Bless America!
Ten Cities For Job Growth In 2009 - Forbes.com
No. 1: Madison, Wis.
Unemployment rate: 3.5%

No. 5: Milwaukee, Wis.
Unemployment rate: 4.8%

Report: New York to lead US cities in job losses - Chicago Tribune "Unemployment is expected to top 10 percent in 70 areas, from already hard-hit cities like Detroit and Cleveland to places that had until recently been prosperous like the Riverside-San Bernardino area in California. Other big cities like Denver and St. Louis are expected to see unemployment rise above 9 percent."

Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Leave.

Im with steve on this. If you dont like it here, move.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I completely understand that different people like different places... There are places that I would like to live that others would not like

But to say that a place is the best city in the WORLD is a little over the top

I seriously doubt that the person that stated the post has been to every major well known city in the world such as: London, Paris, Tokyo, Honk Kong, Rome, Milan, Zurich, Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, Singapore, Shanghai, Toronto.... I could go on forever

I can see why someone would like Denver, I can also see why someone would think that its the best city in the US.

But, IMO to say the WORLD is a pretty bold statement
Perhaps, but I find it interesting that you only listed foreign cities on your list. I've been to London numerous times and while it's great to visit, the cost of living is astronomical, their "districts" are far more racist than any other place I've visited and the people there still make class differentiations based on how "posh" your accent is. That's not to say it's not great, but hardly a place I would live. Same for Paris...my God...have you been there lately? The tourist part of the city is still beautiful, but it's like a stage with the ghettos (which are very poor and very dangerous) in the background. Rome and Milan...wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I got to live in Florence for a year in college and fell in love with Italy. That being said, Italy would be a third world country if it weren't for the leather. I love the Italians but they are absolutely unwilling to work a traditional workday and everything is on "Italian time". This means that the trains are rarely on time (unless they are coming from somewhere else), the gypsies accost anyone who's not paying attention, and the transportation industry goes on total strike whenever they fancy. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to stand in the aisle on a 4 hour train ride because that was the only train going. However, that's the charm of Italy...imagine if everyone was anally punctual there? What fun would that be? Zurich...nice but just like any other big city. What's the appeal? Because it's old? Frankfurt and Munich? Munich takes Frankfurt as far as a pretty, unique city as Frankfurt is merely industrial and filled with skyscrapers. But the Germans? I'm sorry to lump them all together but after living there during the 9-11 attack and hearing from Germans over and over again, "Well, this wouldn't have happened if your policies towards Israel were different." WHAT?!?!?! Other than the token Holocaust museums and cemeteries, they have still not come to terms with their part in the Holocaust and continue to say things like, "Well, no one knew what Hitler was doing." I find that interesting as my neighbors knew everything about me even though I couldn't have told you their names. When you go to a restaurant on a regular basis, you get to sit at a specific table. They are very nosy and to pretend that people didn't know what was going on or never noticed what was happening to the Jews in their cities in totally ridiculous. There are some very nice German people that I met and still consider them friends, but that country is in complete denial and continue to have feelings that they are the superior country in all of the EU, which is what got them into trouble in the first place. As far as the huge cities in Asia...I haven't traveled there as extensively as I would like. I have been to Singapore and thought I was going to have a heart attack. I am not claustrophobic but the amount of people there and the amount of noise, traffic, flashing lights and the incredible heat and humidity almost did me in. Plus, have you seen the tiny homes that people live in? I don't need a huge house, but the wonderful people I met there brought me to their house and showed me into their living space. They roll up their beds when nighttime is over because there is no such things as separate bedrooms. Living room, dining room and bedrooms are the same space. They don't think anything of it and their apartment was inside of a building that was busting at the seams.

Again, my only point in mentioning the above is that there are problems with every city in the world. Some people overlook them because they love the majority of what the city has to offer. In my opinion, there is not a city more beautiful than Seattle. When the sun is shining and you can see Mt Rainier and the Cascades, the reflection off Lake Washington and Puget Sound is incomparable. Would I live there? Nope. Too expensive and while beautiful when sunny, those days are few and far between. I grew up there but now that I go back to visit, all I want to do is stay in bed. It's gloomy and totally depressing in the winter. My parents will never leave and think nothing of the fact that they never see the sun...only a ball of light trying to shine through the clouds. Yuk.

If he wants to think that Denver is the best city in the world, who are you or I to disagree? Everyone has to find their own part of paradise. Mine is Sanibel Island, FL. I would move there in a heartbeat if I won the lottery. Since I am not a millionaire, I enjoy the place I am in the moment. I've been fortunate to be a world traveler and while I love to travel and see the world and meet new people and experience new culture, I am always happy to fill out the US Customs paperwork and get in the line that says US Passport Holders Only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver