Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So far for February, our high temps in Denver have been 2 days in the 30s, 8 days in the 40s, 6 days in the 50s, and 7 days in the 60s. These are temps recorded out at the airport, which is colder than in the city (got it elle-bare?),<---inside joke! so it's actually hit 70 once or twice in the city. The forecast calls for one more day in the 60s and 2 in the 50s to end the month, so not too shabby.

I just did a comparison of Denver to SLC on weather.com and their average temps are very close, except that Denver is a little warmer on average from Nov - Feb.
"darn," out of rep points for you Denverian--way to straighten out the Prescott pufferfish... inside joke---Denver is mild

Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So far for February, our high temps in Denver have been 2 days in the 30s, 8 days in the 40s, 6 days in the 50s, and 7 days in the 60s. These are temps recorded out at the airport, which is colder than in the city (got it elle-bare?),<---inside joke! so it's actually hit 70 once or twice in the city. The forecast calls for one more day in the 60s and 2 in the 50s to end the month, so not too shabby.

I just did a comparison of Denver to SLC on weather.com and their average temps are very close, except that Denver is a little warmer on average from Nov - Feb.
That's pretty impressive for such a sub-polar climate that is Denver, lol. Thanks for the specifics. The comparison doesn't show however, the extreme pollution that occurs in the Salt Lake Valley during the winter. I know Denver has some too, but Denver is not in a bowl, in SLC, it usually takes a fairly vigorous cold front/system to come in and scour out the valley of it's fog, haze and freezing cold air. I've seen sometimes, two or three weeks, of cold temperature inversions, and it does take a cold front to come through, break up the yuck, haze and actually raise the temperature! Also, if you drive 20 minutes up the mountains, you can actually find blue skies and higher temps, in the 40's. Strange place this is, Denver's weather is considerably milder, except at least once a year when the Arctic blast comes down the plains, and you get -20 or so. I think I can handle that rarity a lot better than this here.

Thanks for the data!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Oh I see so you were able to sample the Denver population so as to give us a validated report? Seriously, ever heard of the word "anecdotel"?

Denver's economy is way better than any place in california. If you dont know that then I feel sorry for you. try googling it you're not worth the link...

Your post are full of fallacies, emotional diatribe, and spite. No rational discourse at all.

Proof of very bad reasoning:

"Anyone searching for a job there knows this."

Huh. Did you know that California alone has something like the 10th largest economy in the world? California has a bigger economy than many countries. There is a TON of wealth in Cali. Colorado is not even close.

You don't know what you're talking about. You are just trying to boost your city in any way you can.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM

From Wikipedia:

Economy of California

The Hollywood Sign overlooking Los Angeles is a symbol of the motion-picture industry.As of 2007, the gross state product (GSP) is about $1.812 trillion, the largest in the United States. California is responsible for 13 percent of the United States gross domestic product (GDP). As of 2006, California's GDP is larger than all but eight countries in the world (all but eleven countries by Purchasing Power Parity). However, California is facing a $16 billion budget deficit for the 2008-09 budget year.[36] While the legislative bodies had appeared to address the problem in 2008 with the three-month delayed passage of a budget they in fact only postponed the deficit to 2009 and due to the late 2008 decline in the economy and the credit crisis the problem became urgent in November 2008. One problem is that a substantial portion of the state income comes from income taxes on a small proportion of wealthy citizens. For example, in 2004, the richest 3% of state taxpayers paid approximately 60% of all state taxes.[37] The taxable income of this population is highly dependent upon capital gains, which has been severely impacted by the stock market declines of this period. The governor has proposed a combination of extensive program cuts and tax increases to address this problem, but owing to longstanding problems in the legislature these proposals are likely to be difficult to pass as legislation.

By 2008, California had the 6th highest tax burden of any state, when measured as a percentage of GDP.[38] State spending increased from $56 billion in 1998 to $131 billion in 2008, and the state was facing a budget deficit of $40 billion in 2008.[39]

California is also the home of several significant economic regions, such as Hollywood (entertainment), Southern California (aerospace), the Central Valley (agriculture), Silicon Valley (computers and high tech), and wine producing regions, such as the Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley and Southern California's Santa Barbara, Temecula Valley and Paso Robles areas.

Economy of Colorado

The Bureau of Economic Analysis estimates that the total state product in 2006 was $230 billion. Per capita personal income in 2003 was $34,561, putting Colorado eighth in the nation. To see a 2004 per capita personal income comparison table on a state basis.[33] The state's economy broadened from its mid-19th century roots in mining when irrigated agriculture developed, and by the late 19th century, raising livestock had become important. Early industry was based on the extraction and processing of minerals and agricultural products. Current agricultural products are cattle, wheat, dairy products, corn, and hay.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:57 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Huh. Did you know that California alone has something like the 10th largest economy in the world? California has a bigger economy than many countries. There is a TON of wealth in Cali. Colorado is not even close.

You don't know what you're talking about. You are just trying to boost your city in any way you can.
Your talking to a number of ex-Californian's... trying to tell us what it's like there---I know what it's like there monkey--If it's in California I have probably been there..I have lived all over that state--DON'T TELL ME WHAT CALIFORNIA IS LIKE AGAIN...California is the 8th largest economy...
now go away and bother the bums out on a Venice pier....

Last edited by Scott5280; 02-25-2009 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Your talking to a number of ex-Californian's trying to tell us what it's like there---I know what it's like there monkey--If it's in California I have probably been there..I have lived all over that state--DON'T TELL ME WHAT CALIFORNIA IS LIKE AGAIN...California is the 8th largest economy...
now go away and bother the bums out on a Venice pier....
What? That belligerent rant didn't make too much sense to me. Try re-typing it. Interesting use of the "...."

Old 02-25-2009, 02:12 PM

And the government of California is broke? That is why......

Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
And the government of California is broke? That is why......
Yes, but the rest of the US is headed in the same direction. California just got there first.

The government in Cali is broke. But there is still a lot of money circulating through the cities with the people. A lot more action and a lot more diverse and lively economy.

When you talk about the economy. It is more than just the economy of the state government, that's just one aspect.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
That's pretty impressive for such a sub-polar climate that is Denver, lol. Thanks for the specifics. The comparison doesn't show however, the extreme pollution that occurs in the Salt Lake Valley during the winter. I know Denver has some too, but Denver is not in a bowl, in SLC, it usually takes a fairly vigorous cold front/system to come in and scour out the valley of it's fog, haze and freezing cold air. I've seen sometimes, two or three weeks, of cold temperature inversions, and it does take a cold front to come through, break up the yuck, haze and actually raise the temperature! Also, if you drive 20 minutes up the mountains, you can actually find blue skies and higher temps, in the 40's. Strange place this is, Denver's weather is considerably milder, except at least once a year when the Arctic blast comes down the plains, and you get -20 or so. I think I can handle that rarity a lot better than this here.

Thanks for the data!
I never thought about the arctic air we can get here in Denver - do the mountains block those single/below 0 temps from hitting SLC? We had about a week of arctic air in December, but all that bitter cold stayed off to the east of us in January. I've seen it be 60 above and 6 below all in the same week here!

The air hasn't been too bad here this winter, but we've had a few smoggy days.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Denverian, we never, almost never see those arctic blasts this side of the Divide. I remember that in Dec. when temps were -10 or colder, at least Denver see's a nice rebound back to the 70's in Feb. That is awesome. Also, the problem over here, we never get the flow out of the Gulf of mexico that helps Denver warm up in the winter. Above all, I'd say it fluctuates a lot less here. Never really extreme super sub zero cold, but then again, it was 55 yesterday, the warmest it has been since October. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver