Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,620,240 times

Advertisements

Question is why if you dislike Denver so much why after you move would you come on the Denver forum and bash it? What good does it do you? I was born and raised in Portland personally I think the west coast sucks and I have been all over. What I do know is it takes more than a few months to really get to know a place. You hated Denver got out now get over it. Oh and go BRONCOS!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,125,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Question is why if you dislike Denver so much why after you move would you come on the Denver forum and bash it? What good does it do you? I was born and raised in Portland personally I think the west coast sucks and I have been all over. What I do know is it takes more than a few months to really get to know a place. You hated Denver got out now get over it. Oh and go BRONCOS!
I still remember when the Chargers totally whipped the Broncos. The Broncos were begging for mercy!

I actually don't care about football at all. Just thought I'd mention it though.

I'm not even bashing Denver. If it sounds like i'm bashing Denver, it's just because people on this forum are being rude to me. Seriously though, people in this Denver forum are not too friendly, so don't expect me to be.

By the way, why do you think the west coast sucks?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I still remember when the Chargers totally whipped the Broncos. The Broncos were begging for mercy!

I actually don't care about football at all. Just thought I'd mention it though.

I'm not even bashing Denver. If it sounds like i'm bashing Denver, it's just because people on this forum are being rude to me. Seriously though, people in this Denver forum are not too friendly, so don't expect me to be.

By the way, why do you think the west coast sucks?
We will talk football when the Chargers win back to
back Superbowls
People seem rude when someone bashes for no real reason. Gets old and you have moved on so whats the point? As far as the west coast. Well cali is ok to visit but why on earth live there? Crowde,d expensive, boring weather .La is ugly and smog ridden. Like San. Fran but way to expensive. PNW well born and raised really bad weather nothing to do but be inside 9 months a year ,unless you like cold rain. People there are way to flighty beaches to cold and it is to expensive for what you get

Old 02-21-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We will talk football when the Chargers win back to
back Superbowls
People seem rude when someone bashes for no real reason. Gets old and you have moved on so whats the point? As far as the west coast. Well cali is ok to visit but why on earth live there? Crowde,d expensive, boring weather .La is ugly and smog ridden. Like San. Fran but way to expensive. PNW well born and raised really bad weather nothing to do but be inside 9 months a year ,unless you like cold rain. People there are way to flighty beaches to cold and it is to expensive for what you get
Every single place in the USA has its downsides and issues. All the things you said about California and the Northwest are true for sure. And I could add more complaints about these places. But do you really think Colorado is better?

I might be slamming Denver a little bit, but trust me I could do the same thing to Cali or Oregon. And I have in the past. These places do have issues too.

Do you really think Denver is a step up? I don't. Like I said, if you like Denver then that's awesome. To me it just wasn't cool. But I probably have a different personality and different tastes than you.

The main problem with the west coast is that it is more expensive. That's the thing that everyone always says, and it is a real issue. But if you know what to do you can live here and save just as much money as Denver.

There are more job opportunities out this way too in most cities.

Personally, I would rather live out here and be a little more frugal and maybe live in a smaller place than live in Denver. I am not the kind of person who demands a huge house and yard totally seperated from neighbors, I don't need it. If I wanted that, I would not live in a metro of a few million, i'd live in the country.

And Portland OR seems like it's cheaper than Denver to me. Denver isn't really as dirt cheap as they say. Especially food prices out there.

About the west coast being crowded, that doesn't bother me. A city should be crowded if you ask me. If I don't want to be in a crowded place, than I will move to a smaller town. But if i'm in a city, a major metro area, let's bring it on.

California cities really feel like cities. Denver is a city that tries to be like a small town with a small town feel. If i go to a city, I want it to be a city all the way.

Other issues people always bring up are illegal immigrants in California and arizona, that doesn't bother me either. The US has always been a huge melting pot founded by Euro-immigrants in the first place. Not to mention that the southwest used to be part of Mexico until the Lousiana purchase. I think having people of all races, speaking different languages, from all over the world is what the USA is all about.

By the way, where is the rule that says you can't post in a city forum if you've moved away? People do it all the time baby

I'm just speaking my thoughts anyway. This is just the internet.....

Old 02-21-2009, 10:50 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,466,469 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? On what basis are you trying to tell me that I did not live in Denver? What a wierd thing to say.
Quote:
I can actually walk places or ride my bike without driving 10 miles through ungodly sprawl.
Evidence enough. Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by katzenfreund; 02-23-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 11:18 PM

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Every single place in the USA has its downsides and issues. All the things you said about California and the Northwest are true for sure. And I could add more complaints about these places. But do you really think Colorado is better?

I might be slamming Denver a little bit, but trust me I could do the same thing to Cali or Oregon. And I have in the past. These places do have issues too.

Do you really think Denver is a step up? I don't. Like I said, if you like Denver then that's awesome. To me it just wasn't cool. But I probably have a different personality and different tastes than you.

The main problem with the west coast is that it is more expensive. That's the thing that everyone always says, and it is a real issue. But if you know what to do you can live here and save just as much money as Denver.

There are more job opportunities out this way too in most cities.

Personally, I would rather live out here and be a little more frugal and maybe live in a smaller place than live in Denver. I am not the kind of person who demands a huge house and yard totally seperated from neighbors, I don't need it. If I wanted that, I would not live in a metro of a few million, i'd live in the country.

And Portland OR seems like it's cheaper than Denver to me. Denver isn't really as dirt cheap as they say. Especially food prices out there.

About the west coast being crowded, that doesn't bother me. A city should be crowded if you ask me. If I don't want to be in a crowded place, than I will move to a smaller town. But if i'm in a city, a major metro area, let's bring it on.

California cities really feel like cities. Denver is a city that tries to be like a small town with a small town feel. If i go to a city, I want it to be a city all the way.

Other issues people always bring up are illegal immigrants in California and arizona, that doesn't bother me either. The US has always been a huge melting pot founded by Euro-immigrants in the first place. Not to mention that the southwest used to be part of Mexico until the Lousiana purchase. I think having people of all races, speaking different languages, from all over the world is what the USA is all about.

By the way, where is the rule that says you can't post in a city forum if you've moved away? People do it all the time baby

I'm just speaking my thoughts anyway. This is just the internet.....
Yes I think Colorado is better by a mile. Portland is a hole, I know 30 years worth of exp. There. Denver is great and not everyone likes big homes I prefer the old victorians downtown. I prefer the small cafes and shops and I have met tons of friendly people that talk over coffee. I love the summer markets and concerts and the art walks. I love the history. I don't swim so you can have the ocean. I prefer taking my kids in the mountains and tubing and having snowball fights and looking at the amazing mountains. Denver is far leas spend than Seattle and Portland especially in housing and utilities.

Last edited by Nea1; 02-21-2009 at 11:26 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 11:31 PM

Funky monk there is a difference between immigrants and illegal but there is a thread for that. And it is fine to dislike a place lord I do but you won't are me on their thread bashing it. And to all sorry for the spelling and grammar I am having issues with the blackberry.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,226,383 times
Allow me to retort, FunkyMonk:

When I read your posts, I don't sense much in the way of analysis or logical reasoning. What I do see is a lot of uncontrolled emotions and attitudes and a whole lot of moral judgments about all kinds of different groups of people. And I happen to think that most of your "observations" about people are 100% full of ****, but that's just me. Another thing I've noticed that's completely absent in your posts is a spirit of inquiry. I haven't read every single one of your posts, but from what I've seen I can't recall a single time that you actually asked a question with the intention of actually learning something. Funny how this website is city-data.com, which is geared for helping prospective residents figure out where they want to live and get advice from locals-- and yet even though you were posting on this website long before you ever thought of coming to Denver, you never once posted an inquiry on the Denver forum asking advice of if you should move here and/or where in the city you would like the best. Seems also like you just showed up where your current place is, without using this website as a tool. I know you've said in the past that you did research before moving, but quite frankly I just don't believe it. I understand the spirit of adventure, moving somewhere unknown and playing it by ear, but a little research, asking some questions here can really do a lot of good, you know?

You are a fool if you honestly think that I can't tolerate any criticism of Denver. Go through the archives, read through some of my posts, and you'll see that clearly ain't the case. I completely agree with you that Denver, outside of downtown and surrounding areas, is a largely suburban city; and that much of the City and County of Denver is really just an old suburb. I agree with you that what Denverites think is "urban" is a complete joke to anyone familiar with REAL urban cities. Now we disagree on whether or not that's a bad thing; I think happen to think low density suburban development is a good thing, you hate it, fair enough. And as for steveindenver denying you actually lived in Denver... I would put that poster on your ignore list if I were you-- he never has ANYTHING but hate-filled spite on this forum. So we're in agreement there.

FunkyMonk, you seem to be held in mental bondage to flawed, simplistic stereotypes about mushy geographic super-regions ("west coast" or "Middle America") that don't really exist. Bet you didn't know this, but I actually am not living in Denver at the moment. I'm living in the epicenter of the "west coast," in Los Angeles, California. I'm here for a one year (less than three months to go) master's degree program at USC. And I went to undergrad at ASU, so I've experienced Phoenix for four years too. And I can say without hesitation that the quality of life in Denver blows LA out of the water. You talk about wanting to wake up every day and feel energized to feel alive, well I sure as hell don't feel that way here. LA feels like the "living dead" to me. This city here does not promote life, it eats away at your life. It still boggles my mind how this city has seas of ghettoes going mile after mile after mile, miles and miles of ethnically cleansed gangland. If I stay here I'm going to be throwing my life in the garbage can. And I firmly believe in living below your means-- except that's not really possible in LA, since it takes every dime you make just to make ends meet here. And I believe in living a more simple life, spending a lot of time outside, working out outdoors (without blowing your lungs up), and this city is completely unconducive to the kind of lifestyle I want to live. Even something as simple as a freaking creek/nature trail that is too much to ask for here. Denver is a breath of fresh air compared to LA, literally and figuratively.

Even the climate here makes me feel numb. The weird thing is I love deserts, but true desert climates. This coastal modified/humid desert climate that millions think is the greatest climate on earth I am increasingly starting to think sucks. The high desert, red rock country of the Four Corners area is truly where I feel at home spiritually. Denver is not exactly my most ideal climate and landscape. Denver is not the most ideal city I could ever think of. However, it's not too far off either. For me, given what I want out of life, given the options to choose from, and given the fact that my family lives in Denver and it's my hometown, I have to Denver, Denver is a pretty good place. And I'm proud to be a Denver Broncos fan, I do not have to apologize for my team. I'm moving back home to Denver no matter what when I graduate. I refuse to just take some job here, be stuck here and be unhappy. The only alternative to Denver I'm considering is Albuquerque.

But do I think everybody should live in Denver? Hell no! I think people on this forum need to start being more critical and more realistic (and a good way to start is by looking at my photo tours which show what Denver "REALLY" looks like), so that prospective movers who probably won't end up liking Denver, like yourself, can save themselves a ton of trouble and get all the facts before they invest their time and money moving there. Imagine if I had posted my photo tours before you moved to Denver, and you looked at all of them-- heck, I probably would have scared you off and you never would have moved to Denver in the first place! I think especially given these times, given the economy, people should not just randomly move to Denver unless if they have a damn good reason to do so. Denver can be a difficult city to really "get into," if you know what I mean. Job-wise, people-wise, climate-wise, etc. It's definitely an acquired taste. So I welcome all legitimate criticism. What I don't welcome though, is preachy moral judgments (especially coming from another 20-something year old), snobby, pretentious attitudes, and absurd, factually incorrect stereotypes. And unfortunately, that's exactly what you've been dishing out at us, so no wonder why some want to bite back.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Allow me to retort, FunkyMonk:

When I read your posts, I don't sense much in the way of analysis or logical reasoning. What I do see is a lot of uncontrolled emotions and attitudes and a whole lot of moral judgments about all kinds of different groups of people. And I happen to think that most of your "observations" about people are 100% full of ****, but that's just me. Another thing I've noticed that's completely absent in your posts is a spirit of inquiry. I haven't read every single one of your posts, but from what I've seen I can't recall a single time that you actually asked a question with the intention of actually learning something. Funny how this website is city-data.com, which is geared for helping prospective residents figure out where they want to live and get advice from locals-- and yet even though you were posting on this website long before you ever thought of coming to Denver, you never once posted an inquiry on the Denver forum asking advice of if you should move here and/or where in the city you would like the best. Seems also like you just showed up where your current place is, without using this website as a tool. I know you've said in the past that you did research before moving, but quite frankly I just don't believe it. I understand the spirit of adventure, moving somewhere unknown and playing it by ear, but a little research, asking some questions here can really do a lot of good, you know?

You are a fool if you honestly think that I can't tolerate any criticism of Denver. Go through the archives, read through some of my posts, and you'll see that clearly ain't the case. I completely agree with you that Denver, outside of downtown and surrounding areas, is a largely suburban city; and that much of the City and County of Denver is really just an old suburb. I agree with you that what Denverites think is "urban" is a complete joke to anyone familiar with REAL urban cities. Now we disagree on whether or not that's a bad thing; I think happen to think low density suburban development is a good thing, you hate it, fair enough. And as for steveindenver denying you actually lived in Denver... I would put that poster on your ignore list if I were you-- he never has ANYTHING but hate-filled spite on this forum. So we're in agreement there.

FunkyMonk, you seem to be held in mental bondage to flawed, simplistic stereotypes about mushy geographic super-regions ("west coast" or "Middle America") that don't really exist. Bet you didn't know this, but I actually am not living in Denver at the moment. I'm living in the epicenter of the "west coast," in Los Angeles, California. I'm here for a one year (less than three months to go) master's degree program at USC. And I went to undergrad at ASU, so I've experienced Phoenix for four years too. And I can say without hesitation that the quality of life in Denver blows LA out of the water. You talk about wanting to wake up every day and feel energized to feel alive, well I sure as hell don't feel that way here. LA feels like the "living dead" to me. This city here does not promote life, it eats away at your life. It still boggles my mind how this city has seas of ghettoes going mile after mile after mile, miles and miles of ethnically cleansed gangland. If I stay here I'm going to be throwing my life in the garbage can. And I firmly believe in living below your means-- except that's not really possible in LA, since it takes every dime you make just to make ends meet here. And I believe in living a more simple life, spending a lot of time outside, working out outdoors (without blowing your lungs up), and this city is completely unconducive to the kind of lifestyle I want to live. Even something as simple as a freaking creek/nature trail that is too much to ask for here. Denver is a breath of fresh air compared to LA, literally and figuratively.

Even the climate here makes me feel numb. The weird thing is I love deserts, but true desert climates. This coastal modified/humid desert climate that millions think is the greatest climate on earth I am increasingly starting to think sucks. The high desert, red rock country of the Four Corners area is truly where I feel at home spiritually. Denver is not exactly my most ideal climate and landscape. Denver is not the most ideal city I could ever think of. However, it's not too far off either. For me, given what I want out of life, given the options to choose from, and given the fact that my family lives in Denver and it's my hometown, I have to Denver, Denver is a pretty good place. And I'm proud to be a Denver Broncos fan, I do not have to apologize for my team. I'm moving back home to Denver no matter what when I graduate. I refuse to just take some job here, be stuck here and be unhappy. The only alternative to Denver I'm considering is Albuquerque.

But do I think everybody should live in Denver? Hell no! I think people on this forum need to start being more critical and more realistic (and a good way to start is by looking at my photo tours which show what Denver "REALLY" looks like), so that prospective movers who probably won't end up liking Denver, like yourself, can save themselves a ton of trouble and get all the facts before they invest their time and money moving there. Imagine if I had posted my photo tours before you moved to Denver, and you looked at all of them-- heck, I probably would have scared you off and you never would have moved to Denver in the first place! I think especially given these times, given the economy, people should not just randomly move to Denver unless if they have a damn good reason to do so. Denver can be a difficult city to really "get into," if you know what I mean. Job-wise, people-wise, climate-wise, etc. It's definitely an acquired taste. So I welcome all legitimate criticism. What I don't welcome though, is preachy moral judgments (especially coming from another 20-something year old), snobby, pretentious attitudes, and absurd, factually incorrect stereotypes. And unfortunately, that's exactly what you've been dishing out at us, so no wonder why some want to bite back.
Good points there. I do think that categorizing things as "Middle-America" and "West Coast" is a bit broad. It's true that there are vast differences within these areas. But I also think that there are certain traits and qualities they share. And I do think that huge areas, with big differences, can also have major similarities throughout. People do this on a statewide level all the time.

You often hear people talk about "China" or "the Middle East" or "Mexico" and make statements about these places as a whole, and these are all huge places with a ton of diversity in them. But in some ways, they can be spoken of in broad terms. I think that lots of people talk in these terms. And sometimes, it is accurate.

I even hear people talk about "Asia" and "Africa" in these ways. And these places are a lot bigger than the west coast of the USA.

I started talking about "the west coast" because personally, I like the entire west coast from Canada to Mexico. People here were asking me where I like to live, so I answered "the west coast" because I like it all. Even though Washington, Oregon, Northern Cal and Southern Cal are very, very different. I like them all. And I do feel like there are certain trait they all share. So that's why I was talking about it in those terms.

As for my "spirit of inquiry" that you say I don't have. If I do have a question. I do a search and find the info that way. I don't feel the need to ask many questions on this forum much because the info is all already out there. I just search for anyquestion on my mind and it's out there.

I had a LOT of questions about Denver before I moved, but all the questions have already been asked so I just researched it. I also already knew people in Denver and talked to them all about it.

By me saying what I think like in this thread, I am bouncing my opinions and ideas off other people. So in a sense. For me to make a statement is a form of asking a question and getting an answer back anyway. I am saying "I think Denver is boring" and getting feedback. That's basically the same as saying "Do you think Denver is boring?"

You mentioned before that you are in LA. What you say about LA, it's true. It is a hard place to live in many ways. In some ways LA is hell. But LA is a HUGE CITY. That's what huge international cities are all about. You get a lot of spectacular and amazing things, along with a lot of awful, horrible things. Gangs, needles on the street, violence, evil people, chaos, heartless criminals, enormous ghettos, it's all there.

I moved to LA for a while myself, about 9 years ago. It was my first time living in a really big city. I was young and not too well traveled yet, and LA ate me alive. I was overwhelmed by it and felt like it was hell in many ways. I lived there for a while and stuck it out, but spiritually I wasn't ready for the tests it gave me. And my streetsmarts weren't ready for some of the things I encountered there.

But now, i've lived in a couple cities that are much larger and more dangerous than LA. So when I go to LA these days, I feel like it isn't even too intense. And i've really grown to see the opportunities that exist there, which you have to look at along with the bad. But I still remember that first move out there. I felt like a deer in headlights.

Denver is the opposite, it's all more in the middle, like a small city. So in that way, Denver resembles a much smaller city to me. Although it's fairly large, it is so sprawled that it's more like a small city lifestyle.

Life in Denver is smooth and easy for sure. For me Denver just felt way too smooth and easy, without anything to make me feel amazed.

Everything is relative.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:34 AM

565 posts, read 1,841,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
How long have you lived in Denver?

Have you worked anywhere else in the US (post college job on your own)?

Did you come to Denver without a job?

I ask these things because people tend to have better opinions of places when they are not suffering hardship. I always recommend for people to find the job first then move. With a desired job in hand, you can then seek further employment in the field waiting on the opportunities in the place you would like to live.
Asking the same questions again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver