Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,114 times

Advertisements

Video Library - cbs4denver.com

I am reading more and more lately about your coyote problem. Only now they are attacking humans. Not good.

I have little children. How will they play outside? How can you have any type of pet, even a large dog-if they are also being attacked?!

In this latest, a 75lb Lab was a victim along with his owner/woman-and there were not only 1 or 2, but 3 coyotes....a pack!!!!

This is very disconcerting to me. Especially that the last 2 months of news coverage on the coyote problem...has localized the issue to the southern areas of Denver, just where we were interested in living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:19 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
I've lost 2 cats, a dog, three kids, and my legs to coyotes

Seriously, you're more likely to get run over by a car in Denver than attacked by a coyote.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:20 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
There are open spaces in the Denver Metro area where coyotes thrive, as they're adaptable and capable of surviving on very little food.

Normally, they will avoid larger animals (big dogs, humans), but if they're really hungry and get together in a pack, they can attack (and possibly kill) domestic animals.

The coyotes are quick learners and sophisticated pack hunters. For example, they are "smart" enough to have one of their pack draw a guard dog away from the rest of the pack while they attack their prey. Although when single, they will shy away from such a challenge and avoid confrontations ... but that's why you'll hear a coyote "howling" now and then ... they have various "calls" to their buddies to alert that they've found a likey prey animal, and they're calling in support and buddies to share in the kill and possible feast.

Apparently, in the recent attack on the 75 lb dog, the woman got hurt while trying to get involved between the coyote and protecting her dog.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:54 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
If it makes you feel any better, I have never even seen a coyote. They are actually very timid animals. I would put this at the bottom of your list of concerns.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I have never even seen a coyote. They are actually very timid animals. I would put this at the bottom of your list of concerns.
I just saw one Sunday afternoon in a park in Stapleton. I was surprised to see one out in broad daylight like that, with people all over the park. I don't walk my dog in that park though - it also has foxes, beavers, prarie dogs, hawks, owls... Who needs a zoo when you've got all that down the street?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,114 times
I showed my husband the video and he wasn't concerned about it. Nothing rattles him though.....maybe that's why I overworry!

He said the coyote issue is about equal to getting bitten by a poisonous spider here....not likely.

I guess he's right.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I showed my husband the video and he wasn't concerned about it. Nothing rattles him though.....maybe that's why I overworry!

He said the coyote issue is about equal to getting bitten by a poisonous spider here....not likely.

I guess he's right.

Yeah, that's funny. We're always comfortable with the threats where we live, but scared of new/different threats. I'd probably be always checking my sheets in Florida for poisonous bugs! Bugs are minimal here, so that's a plus. At least you can see the coyote coming at you - the black widdow can sneak up on you in your sleep

One threat that does scare me here is rattlesnakes. Seems like every summer you hear about someone getting bitten by one, even a kid on a playground a couple years ago. Now I've personally never seen one, but I generally don't walk anywhere that's not paved or freshly mown, cared for grass where I can see what's there. I don't think they commonly come into develped areas and people's lawns, but snakes give me some serious willies!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:54 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,576 times
I live in the south suburbs and have yet to catch a glimpse of a coyote. I have no worries letting my dog out in our fenced yard at night, and my kids regularly spend hours playing in the yard with no concern. Granted we aren't along a trail or open space...but honestly, if you are truly worried, I think it's pretty easy to just avoid walking on trails.

From one mother hen to another - it's nothing to keep you from moving here. I don't really have a position on population control, but I'm sure the powers that be in the south suburbs will very shortly be "handling" the problem. Children being dragged away by dingoes just doesn't bode well for property values.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I live in Boulder County and I have seen plenty of coyotes. My kids' HS mascot is the Coyote! When the police sirens go off at night, you can hear them howling away. It's spooky.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM

123 posts, read 524,783 times
I think you guys worry too much..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver