Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times

Advertisements

The Rocky Mountain News was just a sports tabloid. Sports led the news with sports dribble, and a big overexposed sports picture about what some football player did last night and another did the day before... Idiotic discussions about who is better; who is worse yada, yada, yada, on the front page....everyday a story about some Joe Blowhard sports personality. Crappy paper catering to the circus crowd, but not enough of real news...Glad to see it gone...

If they are were smart they could have turned it over to the bronco mob; they have the money and can pay for their own advertising...and then "The Rocky Mountain Bronco News" would not have to pretend to be a newspaper. They would have a ready crowd of drooling fanatics who would pay big bucks for each edition--because they will buy any garbage as long as the bronco name is attached....

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,361,213 times
Quote:
Crappy paper catering to the circus crowd, but not enough of real news...
Wow - never noticed that...I guess that would be me then. I will miss it. I am not a huge Post fan but I'll get it on the weekends for lack of anything else. I don't mind getting some news on the internet but there will never be anything like reading the paper in the quiet early morning with that first cup of coffee before everyone else gets up. sigh.....

Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,378,209 times
I agree the first thing I do is get up and read the paper, I cant imagine a day with out that.....

Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
When we lived in Denver we preferred the Post. I will say the Rocky covered high school sports better than the Post, which I appreciated when my kids were involved in them. I hope the Post will take that over. I do think the closing of any newspaper is a sad thing.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,914,347 times
Overall, we preferred the Post for content, but I loved the Rocky's tabloid format and they had some good journalists: John Coit, Gene Amole, movie critic Bob Denerstein (Denerstein still blogs.)
I agree that it is sad any time a newspaper shuts down, I still like some hard copy in my life.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,458,418 times
I'm not a local but I still mourn the loss of the Rocky. I met two of their sports writers a few years back and they were really great guys, without the air of superiority or insecurites that plague many in that field. I wish them the best.

A little perspective for those who may not care: 15,000 print jobs were lost in 2008, and that number will probably double (at least) this year. Being a reporter is a difficult and demanding job and requires more time than 40 hours per week, which is rarely compensable. But those who do it do so becuase they love it.

I loved it, but not enough to be treated unfairly by the management of my paper while they squeezed every penny out of us. I saw this collapse coming and I got out in '07. Now, at two of my old papers, they are rotating furlough weeks - everyone must take one unpaid week off every two months. At a job that didn't pay the bills as it was, a 13% reduction in pay is simply too much to bear, and I feel for all of my former brothers and sisters in the ink who have no idea what the hell they are going to do.

Every reporter and editor at the Rocky deserves a standing ovation for hanging on as long as they did, and I hope that the city of Denver is going to somehow recognize their fortitude.

Sure, newspapers aren't viable anymore, we get it. But please mourn the people along with the product.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:20 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
From what I understand, part of the problem with newspapers is that they're losing tons of advertising dollars because people now sell/advertise for free on Craigslist and eBay. Plus with all the job websites, who looks for a job in the paper anymore? Combine that with a dumbed-down population that doesn't care about the news, and it's a disaster for newspapers.

I have a degree in newspaper journalism, but thankfully never got into it as a career. I do get the post and read it every day though. I have to wonder why they don't make you pay for an online subscription though.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,108,020 times
If you can't run a profitable business, then the only option is to close it down.

I'm finally happy to see the free market in action rather than the reckless Government spending in the name of "bail outs".

Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,693,714 times
Yes, but here's my point. The News said it was ran out by the Internet. So, that would lead me to believe that not a lot will change without the News, as we are all going to the internet. I was responding to the person directly above me. Sad but true, times have really changed and many of us get our news from the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Every source you have sited is a news paper.. The AP get their money from all the press why they are all the associated Press......

Old 02-27-2009, 09:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,693,714 times
Thing about the News, they were easier to read due to the format, open book like. And I did like the crosswords. Oh well, I'll just continue to do those on the web. : )

**One other thing, the real drag in this is that all those people lost their jobs. I saw on the news this morning photos of the people being told about the closing, it was really sad watching people cry and look totally brought down. Sucks to lose your job just like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver