Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I believe you are right, I remember as far back as Pick n Save and then Big Lots. Wow, an old store. Let's hope they don't shut down too. My husband was just telling me to stop shopping online because that's helping to close stores. So then I thought well the same stuff I buy at Target was made in China! But he says, you are helping people keep their jobs here though.

That's all I need to hear. Who's up for an all day shopping event this weekend?!? hahahaha
Target gets at least a quarter of my paycheck every month! I only shop online for odd things that would be hard to find in a store like a vaccuum cleaner belt or filter for a humidifier. Although, someone told me diapers.com was much cheper for diapers. I keep meaning to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I think you may be right about that. However, I think the person asking only has his bachelor's. There are plenty of ways "in the door" for federal service jobs, but since most people don't know them, I just gave him the "guy off the street" advice. I've worked with people who walked into a job that was much higher than they should have been in but that's not the majority of applicants. You're right though about the timeframe. There is no good reason why the hiring process should take so long. That's the government for you, though.
Yes, I only have a lowly BS degree. I'd like to get my Masters if I could think of one that would actually pay off in the end.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Me too. It's hard though when you see 4,000 thread count sheets being offered on Overstock for half the price as Macy's.

I get my filters at Target or Lowes for the humidifier. I have 3 of them and am thinking of another. My home is a mini-miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Target gets at least a quarter of my paycheck every month! I only shop online for odd things that would be hard to find in a store like a vaccuum cleaner belt or filter for a humidifier. Although, someone told me diapers.com was much cheper for diapers. I keep meaning to check.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:43 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yes, I only have a lowly BS degree. I'd like to get my Masters if I could think of one that would actually pay off in the end.
I too "only" have a Bachelor's degree. However, the fact is that the percentage of the US population with a BA is still in the 20th percentile. A lot of people attend college, but it still seems as if very few actually complete it. If you get your master's degree, you are at the tip of the pyramid.

Despite all the stories of the college graduate unable to find a job, the numbers would prove otherwise. The working population who is losing jobs at an alarming rate is not those with a higher education. The average salary of a college graduate is nearly double that of a high school graduate. If you're a teacher, getting a master's degree is an automatic pay increase.

I remember reading an article about college graduates and clearly, there is a BIG difference between the college grad with a degree in IT compared with the college grad who majored in French Literature. If you go to college with a plan (or at least graduate with one) the likelihood is that you will find a job. College degrees still show a potential employer that you are someone who went above and beyond what is required (a high school diploma). The problem is when you walk into an interview with your college diploma and the ink hasn't even dried on your name yet, but you expect a job to pay you what your dad got paid after 35 years with the same company, 2 weeks paid vacation and full benefits.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 AM

795 posts, read 2,409,367 times
Quote:
I too "only" have a Bachelor's degree. However, the fact is that the percentage of the US population with a BA is still in the 20th percentile. A lot of people attend college, but it still seems as if very few actually complete it. If you get your master's degree, you are at the tip of the pyramid.

Despite all the stories of the college graduate unable to find a job, the numbers would prove otherwise. The working population who is losing jobs at an alarming rate is not those with a higher education. The average salary of a college graduate is nearly double that of a high school graduate. If you're a teacher, getting a master's degree is an automatic pay increase.

I remember reading an article about college graduates and clearly, there is a BIG difference between the college grad with a degree in IT compared with the college grad who majored in French Literature. If you go to college with a plan (or at least graduate with one) the likelihood is that you will find a job. College degrees still show a potential employer that you are someone who went above and beyond what is required (a high school diploma). The problem is when you walk into an interview with your college diploma and the ink hasn't even dried on your name yet, but you expect a job to pay you what your dad got paid after 35 years with the same company, 2 weeks paid vacation and full benefits.

I think applying to graduate school got in the way of a internship, which made it even harder to get a good job in this economy. My senior year was full time school (keeping GPA up) and part time applying to grad schools i.e. taking the horrible GRE etc. I do not recommend college grads going straight to graduate school - this economy is just not designed for it.

I heard an economist on one of the cable networks claim that he graduated in the early eighties recession and it took him a long time to find employment. He graduated from a top college and was sympathizing with current college graduates in this economy.

That being said I find my graduate work really challenging and has certainly improved my quality of work. The amount of research and attention to detail is incredibly. Did I mention the amount of work is exponentially greater than that of undergraduate work?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

See this, from today's Boulder Daily Camera:

Huge layoffs push joblessness toward double digits : jobs : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/mar/06/huge-layoffs-push-joblessness-toward-double-digits/ - broken link)

"The jobless rate for college graduates has hit its highest point on record, just like the rate for people lacking high school diplomas."

At its highest peak does not mean as high as everyone else's, but it's not rosy right now. I have several unemployed neighbors with master's degrees and decades (literally) of experience. My own DH with his PhD has been laid off twice, and escaped just before the pink slip once.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:37 PM

I cant wait to stand in those public assistence lines next week

Old 03-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Katiana,

What is so funny about a college grad having to receive public assistence? Why am I a loser?

Old 03-07-2009, 03:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Katiana,

What is so funny about a college grad having to receive public assistence? Why am I a loser?
Did I say that? I don't think so! We have lived on unemployment insurance in the past, which is a form of PA.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did I say that? I don't think so! We have lived on unemployment insurance in the past, which is a form of PA.
Maybe it was a bad joke? You PM me with the word "loser"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver