Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,366 times

Advertisements

Last night I went to eat at Lime on Larimer Square and was happy to see that most of the table were filled. However, I noted that some of the business on Larimer were closed and one, Z Gallerie, was selling everything for 50% off and then shutting it's doors. A short walk through Writter's Square found a new business, frozen yougert, and some of the old businesses still there. It got me wondering what everyone else is seeing.

Additionally, I have family and friends who were recently laid off and are looking for work but not finding it, one is an engineer. The non-profits that I volunteer for are really hurting and are asking for more money to just stay alive. All paid positions are now filled by volunteers.

I have bought lunch for the homeless when I see them, won't give them cash. They gladly accept the offer and scarf down the food immediately, so I know they are hungry. The food lines at St. Joseph's on 6th in the westside are 2 -3 blocks long at times. I wish there was more that I could do and wonder what else would help those in need.

So, what are some of the signs of a recession are you seeing in Denver and are you doing anything differently because of it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,718,316 times
Nice post.

As I said earlier somewhere else, my fridge at work is now packed beyond capacity. Seems people have realized that to save money means bringing your lunch. They aren't so apt to pay for $10 lunches in downtown Denver.

My bus is pretty packed too. Parking at the park-n-ride seems to have gone up.

While we have booked a vacay, we are eating at home much much more and taking lunches/breakfasts to work. We didn't do that before.

Also, instead of dumping all of my $$ in savings, I'm now dumping it on a cc so that I can get that monkey off my back.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:04 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
In my neighborhood (Stapleton) I've noticed many people buying high-end cars and having their basements finished and going on tropical vacations. You'd never know anything was wrong with the economy here Except for John Laing going bankrupt and abandoning a few half-built houses, and overall building has slowed.

Personally, I'm about tapped due to the expene of twins - I figured with day care, they cost over $3000 per month And my job is now on its second raise-less year So we're only eating out about once per month, and not buying much for ourselves right now other than the necessities.

At least emoticons are free, so I'm going overboard with those

Old 02-27-2009, 01:14 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Yesterday, I noticed the line around the Denver Rescue Mission seemed longer than usual.

The jet hangar I work at part-time is now devoid of the tons of pilots that used to hang around, (most have been furloughed) and a few more of my co-workers were laid off this week. My hours/pay there has been cut.

My contracting income has finally dropped, pretty significantly, but I'm still doing better than most of my colleagues. Thank god.

On the other hand, a neighbor across the street has paid some roofers to make all sorts of noise to redo his roof.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:14 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,337,164 times
It seems like more people at my office are packing a lunch as well. I basically lived paycheck-to-paycheck when I lived in California, so I already got into the habit of bringing a lunch every day and then never stopped.. but yeah, I've noticed that it's harder to find space in the refrigerator.

My partner and I still dine out every Friday night (although it's the only night we do this) and we've noticed that some of the restaurants we like have been less crowded lately, with little to no wait to be seated.

I think there are more people on public transit, although not as much as when gas prices were $4.

Otherwise, personally, I pack a lunch every day, plan meals based on the sale items at the grocery store, and I take the bus to work since my employer pays for an eco-pass whether I use it or not. I did this stuff even when economic times were better, though -- I mean really, all of the money saved can go toward savings or something fun, so why not?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I cut the paper to only weekends (now I guess just Sunday.) I stopped all magazine subscriptions. I only buy meat on clearance or on sale. I try to stay away from the middle aisles in the grocery stores (just the edges, produce, meat, dairy, bread.) I turned the heat down to 55. I use a 5 gallon bucket to capture shower water for the humidifier & houseplants.

I donate more stuff we have just sitting around. We have been shopping the goodwill store for the kids.

I am busy with clients and closings, it is just taking twice as long to close. If I am lucky.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
I didn't have that extravagant a lifestyle to begin with so I haven't really done much. I paid off my credit card and then the bank turned off my debit card without warning so I had to use the CC again as so many stores won't take checks any more - that was a bit of a pain. I've always shopped at places that have a discount card for groceries and gas. I've always supported my local public libraries so I spend about half what I used to on paperbacks and I hate shopping for clothes as everything seems designed for 15-year old stick insects nowadays (gods I sound old !). If I need household items I don't go as much to Target now but go to Bed Bath & Beyond with one of their 20% coupons they send every other week. I don't read magazines except when I treat myself to coffee in Barnes & Noble once a month and I read newspapers online.

Frankly, I'm more worried about how to stop my 401(k) evaporating into the mist!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:09 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,547 times
My hours at work recently got cut. I am only working 4 days a week, 32 hours a week. Sucks because that's a big hit for me financially. I've just got to buck up and start saving more. I've kind of been spending out of control lately and am barely making it paycheck to paycheck. Not smart.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,500 times
In Arvada last summer 3 asphalt overlay projects were cancelled, and only one road got chip sealed, which is inferior to overlay. Also, two businesses in Olde Town have closed recently. I hope The D Note and Bliss can manage to hang on. They've brought great local music, food, and fun to town.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,718,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I take the bus to work since my employer pays for an eco-pass whether I use it or not. I did this stuff even when economic times were better, though -- I mean really, all of the money saved can go toward savings or something fun, so why not?
Same here on the eco-pass. There were a lot of my coworkers with sudden interest in the pass, although we've always had the benefit. I think the monthly express runs around $125? That's a lot. And I work downtown, so on top of the gas I'd be paying parking at $150 a month. So yeah, bus it is. Although it can be very relaxing to have 20 minutes to read or play my PSP or listen to music. You do save tons of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver