Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM

65 posts, read 186,513 times

Advertisements

Hello guys & girls

me and my wife will be studying at DU in Fall 2009. I don't know which area is good for living for new young couple? should we live in lakewood? englwood? or where do you guys suggest?

I like to live near to the light train but I don't know anything about it.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 06:36 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I'd be looking for rental housing in an area as close as possible to the campus to minimize commuting time/distance.

There's a lot of rentals, ranging from apartments to condos to small houses in the immediate area along South Colorado Blvd, over to University, and Westward from there.

There's plenty of shopping, restaurants, and other activities concentrated along the Colo Blvd and Univ Blvd corridors in the area, too.

While Englewood will also have inexpensive rental housing, it's a bit further away with no particular advantage over being closer to the campus ... and Littleton is even further away, and probably a bit more expensive.

Of course, the other consideration would be access to jobs. But the primary concern would be ready access to DU ... perhaps even within walking or bicycling distance, because parking there can be problematic.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
The area right around DU is not a bad choice-- it's very, very tame compared to most "college town" environments. If you want to be a little farther from campus but not too far, literally one stop on the light rail away, check out Platt Park. Here's one of MobyLL's photo tours of the area: //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...uth-pearl.html

Old 03-05-2009, 08:19 PM

168 posts, read 622,095 times
Default D.U. area

Hi - I'm a D.U. alum, so know the area well. Suggest you check out Observatory Park and Washington Park areas. There are always nice houses for rent in a variety of price ranges. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 AM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I would definitely live near DU. I am taking classes there right now and have had a chance to get to know the surrounding area. If I didn't already have living arrangements that I like, I'd consider moving to the area. It's not wild and crazy or anything like that, but has places to get coffee, eat, etc., along evans and university, and probably has more to do than some of the other areas you mention. Plus, it would be nice to be able to get to class within 10-15 minutes or be able to go over to the library on a whim.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 AM

369 posts, read 966,099 times
The others are right - check out the areas around DU to avoid commuting by car. University and Evans is one of the worst intersections in the area, and trying to commute into the campus and fight for parking is horrible. Platt Park, Wash Park, Bonnie Brae, Observatory Park, etc. are all around there and are very nice, established areas. Some have little commercial strips with neighborhood restaurants and bars. The neighborhood immediately west of DU has a ton of rentals, and will be a mix of renting undergrads and neighborhood folks.

As for light rail, the H, F, and E lines stop at DU. Your commute would be easiest and fastest to look at places on those lines:

http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail/images/lightrailmap.gif (broken link)

It depends on what you guys want. If you want more dense, urban living, then you'll be looking in and around downtown. If you hate that kind of thing and want space and more nature, then you'll be looking more southwards.

RTD runs public transportation in Denver, here's their site:

The Regional Transportation District Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver