Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 21,011 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to Arvada (outside of Denver) and we're looking for some sort of a soccer league for our son, just turned 3. Does anyone know of an organization with non-competitive sports for little ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 04:42 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,188 times
Yes! Check with the YMCA there in Arvada. They have soccer (co-ed) for 3 & 4 year olds. It's a really nice facility. My daughter played there several years ago when we were new to the area.

YMCA of Metropolitan Denver (http://www.denverymca.org/youthSports.aspx - broken link) Scroll down a little ways and click on the link to the Arvada location for more info.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
3 year olds playing soccer? Do the kids really like this, or is it more about the "my kids do more activities than your kids" parental competition?

Seriously, I just don't get this whole "micromanage your kids and force activities on them" mentality. I'm certainly going to support my kids getting into whatever activities they want (only one at a time), but at age 3? Seriously? Shouldn't they be blowing bubbles and coloring at that age?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
I kind of agree with Denverian. Do they even make cleats that small? My kids didn't start soccer until first grade, when they both asked to play on a team. Up until then, my husband, a former soccer coach, just took them to the park to kick the ball around. Occasionally, they played "soccer" with the other kids in the neighborhood, which mostly involved chasing each other around the backyard, screaming at the top of their lungs.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Glad it's not just me who was thinking 3 was awfully young to begin any kind of organized sport. Let them just play or run around kicking the ball...My DD played soccer in Kindergarten - that was hard enough - kids just don't yet have the coordination and attention span - all the girls would stop running and wave at their parents on the sidelines. It was kind of cute but I honestly don't think she got a whole lot out of it except enjoying the matching t-shirts, having special shoes and getting snacks after the game. 1st grade (at the earliest)is a good time to start organized sports IMO...

Old 03-09-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I kind of agree with Denverian. Do they even make cleats that small? My kids didn't start soccer until first grade, when they both asked to play on a team. Up until then, my husband, a former soccer coach, just took them to the park to kick the ball around. Occasionally, they played "soccer" with the other kids in the neighborhood, which mostly involved chasing each other around the backyard, screaming at the top of their lungs.
That seems more like what I would expect, 1st grade if they were interested.

I guess what I'm thinking of is like I've seen on that "wife swap" show. They seem to swap one anal-retentive, over-achiever family with one crazy hippy family. Of course both families have issues, but the "over achiever" family always has forced activities for their kids every day of the week, and then they eat dinner in the car because they're always driving to some activity, and the kids seem unhappy. Sheesh, kids can't even just go out and play anymore, according to some parents. They have to schedule "play dates". That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, unless you live somewhere so remote that there are no other kids around. When I was a kid, I scheduled my own play dates - "Can Mikey come out and play?"

Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Glad it's not just me who was thinking 3 was awfully young to begin any kind of organized sport. Let them just play or run around kicking the ball...My DD played soccer in Kindergarten - that was hard enough - kids just don't yet have the coordination and attention span - all the girls would stop running and wave at their parents on the sidelines. It was kind of cute but I honestly don't think she got a whole lot out of it except enjoying the matching t-shirts, having special shoes and getting snacks after the game. 1st grade (at the earliest)is a good time to start organized sports IMO...
No, it's not just you. The other thing is that kids of that age do not really understand "rules". I wouldn't be averse to letting kids learn techniques of kicking the ball, etc, but competition can wait.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, it's not just you. The other thing is that kids of that age do not really understand "rules". I wouldn't be averse to letting kids learn techniques of kicking the ball, etc, but competition can wait.
In the OP's defense, she/he did say "non-competitive".

Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
In the OP's defense, she/he did say "non-competitive".
Yes, thanks for that reminder. But at that point, it really ceases to be "soccer", and becomes "playing ball", IMO.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
And, now for the flipside...

Another aspect of organized activities for young sprouts is that it provides an opportunity for parents to meet and talk while the kids are otherwise engaged. It can be really hard to make connections in a new community. The only way I met other parents in my neighborhood was by hanging around the school playground, because there aren't any kids on our block. It was a lonely few weeks between our move and the start of school. The OP's three-year-old would not yet be in school, so maybe she is looking to make adult connections in addition to letting her active three-year-old burn off a little energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver