Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Denver: cost of living, job market, weather, singles scene, rental.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM

24 posts, read 109,160 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

In 5 to 6 months my friend and I are thinking about relocating to Denver. We have visited Denver 4 years ago and have decided that it would be a great city to move to from Las Vegas.

Here is a little background:

I am an Executive Assistant and my monthly net income is $3000 and my friend is a Dental Assistant with a net income of $2500, both of us are fulltime. We are looking to rent a house (backyard needed because of dogs) in a decent area with rent anywhere between $1200 to $1500 monthly. We are both single and ready for steady relationships which are something that is hard to have in Vegas. So here are a few questions that I would like the DENVER NATIVES to answer:

1. How is the cost of living?
(Will we be able to receive or come near our current net income?)
2. How is the job market?
(I am planning on sending resumes out a month prior to moving
3. Where are the decent areas preferable close to Denver (not Aurora) to live in?
4. How is the weather? Is it really sunny 300 days out of the year?
(Hoping for lots of thunderstorms which Vegas lacks)
5. According to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed Denver is the #1 city for singles, is that true?

I know I can receive all of this information by searching the web but I would like to read it coming from people who live in Denver. Would like the PROS and CONS to moving out there from everyone.

Thanks.

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
How old are you? I left a good friend back in Vegas a year ago who is single, 27 good looking and has a good career The wife and I are trying to find him a good girl. He lives in Henderson off St Rose and Eastern area.

The cost of living is going to be similar to Vegas, maybe with a slight edge to Vegas since there is 1) No state income tax and 2) Housing is now affordable in Vegas, cheaper than most of Denver

Car registration is expensive in Colorado, which was a surprise to me. Yeah, NV is higher but not by much (which was OK since you don't pay state income tax). They also just passed a bill a week ago to raise them further!

The weather is awesome in Colorado. We don't miss the 100+ LV summer days. It can get in the 90's in Denver but it's still nothing compared to LV. Last week Denver was hitting mid 70's, perfect! If you look at the 7 day forecast, Denver is pretty much sunny and in the 50's, still very nice.

I can't answer your specific Denver questions since we live west of Colorado Springs.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly926 View Post
So here are a few questions that I would like the DENVER NATIVES to answer:[/color]
Good luck on that one, I don't think there are too many 'Denver Natives' (I can only think of a few) on here, and the majority of Denverites aren't native.

Quote:
3. Where are the decent areas preferable close to Denver (not Aurora) to live in?[/color]
That's because Aurora is ghetto, right?

Quote:
Nope, more like 245.

Quote:
Near daily during summertime.

Quote:
5. According to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed Denver is the #1 city for singles, is that true?
I have no idea, I've never been single here. I found my mate in a very unfriendly place for singles.

Quote:

I know I can receive all of this information by searching the web but I would like to read it coming from people who live in Denver. Would like the PROS and CONS to moving out there from everyone.
Thanks.
Am I allowed to reply to this one? I mean, I'm not a 'Denver Native' so I just wanted to make sure it was okay.

Pros:
Four seasons
Doing better than the average place economically right now
All four pro sports
Tons of cultural activities to enjoy
Mountains nearby
Snow
Downtown
Diversity, in both people and food
Natural Beauty
Light Rail
Weather is very unpredictable
Airport is in BFE
Aurora isn't ghetto

Cons:
Airport is in BFE
Traffic sucks sometimes
People don't bring you fruitcakes when you move into the neighborhood
Driving in snow/ice
Landscape gets less interesting as you go east
Low speed limits/Lots of speed traps
It can get hot during summer
Weather is very unpredictable

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 03:31 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I was born in Denver, grew up in Aurora & Centennial. I love Las Vegas, but don't live there.

Don't want to be Debbie Downer's younger brother (Doug Downer?) but based on what you're saying here, I would not move to Denver, it sounds like you are going to set yourself up for disappointment, moving for the wrong reasons. Just trying to prevent another lb, jj, funky, ghost, or awesomo here.

With a good, steady job, I would stay in Las Vegas for a few more years until the economy improves. You don't want to quit your job and then become part of the unemployment statistic.

Quote:
We are both single and ready for steady relationships which are something that is hard to have in Vegas. So here are a few questions that I would like the DENVER NATIVES to answer:
If you're going to move somewhere with the #1 reason of hoping to get into a relationship, I would pick a city that has a surplus of women over men in the population, not Denver.

Quote:
Depends on the definition of "sunny." People from the northwest, midwest, or eastern US would find Denver very sunny. Coming from the desert southwest though-- especially Las Vegas, you'll find Denver to be much cloudier than you're used to.

Quote:
Storms? Maybe not thunderstorms, but Vegas has no lack of spectacular dry lightning storms. But yes, the answer to your question is yes.

Quote:
For women, maybe. I would not move to Denver for that reason.

Also x2 what David said about Aurora. Listen to what David has to say, he may be young, and not a "native," but he knows his stuff.

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM

247 posts, read 744,907 times
Hey Vegas,

You know the OP is female, right? If so, she's gonna have easy pickins' on the single guys out there.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM

366 posts, read 1,373,549 times
Quote:

If you are a woman, yes it probably is
If you are a man, HELL NO it sucks for us guys

Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

In 5 to 6 months my friend and I are thinking about relocating to Denver. We have visited Denver 4 years ago and have decided that it would be a great city to move to from Las Vegas.

Here is a little background:

I am an Executive Assistant and my monthly net income is $3000 and my friend is a Dental Assistant with a net income of $2500, both of us are fulltime. We are looking to rent a house (backyard needed because of dogs) in a decent area with rent anywhere between $1200 to $1500 monthly. We are both single and ready for steady relationships which are something that is hard to have in Vegas. So here are a few questions that I would like the DENVER NATIVES to answer:

1. How is the cost of living?
(Will we be able to receive or come near our current net income?)
2. How is the job market?
(I am planning on sending resumes out a month prior to moving
3. Where are the decent areas preferable close to Denver (not Aurora) to live in?

Thanks.
Not a Denver native...but:

1. The cost of living is NOT cheap. Plan on high electricity and gas bills in order to heat your home during the winter and then to cool it off in the summer. It's expensive to register your car. It's probably similar to Vegas for property tax and rentals but if you're moving here thinking your dollar will stretch, you will be in for a rude awakening.

2. The job market is not great here but not any worse than the rest of the country. Your friend will likely find work as a dental assistant before you do as a exec ass't.

3. I live in Aurora so I would be careful about knocking it, but for 2 single gals as yourselves, I would definitely look elsewhere. It's suburbia...same goes for Highlands Ranch. You can probably find better advice about where to live than from me (married, mother of 2). I do recall driving through some areas near the Botanical Gardens that seemed to be full of younger people and cool eateries.

4. The weather is awesome. I don't pay too much attention to those who like to quibble over a "sunny" day versus as "partially sunny" day. I grew up in Seattle where you honestly don't see the sun for months...it's just a big ball of light through the fog and clouds. It is sunny here most days...but we do get seasons, so it may be sunny, but you will freeze your butt off. I wear my sunglasses year round here...we moved from Arizona to Florida then to here and I haven't felt any different as far as sunny days go.

5. See a previous thread I posted about the single life in Denver. Apparently, Denver was number 1 for 3 years in a row. We have since dropped to somewhere around #11. According to the magazine 5280, it's harder to meet people because they are either already married or on their way to the mountain. One thing you will notice, however, is unlike Vegas, people actually LIVE here. My best friend lived in Vegas for 4 months and hated it because every nice guy she met was only there for a vacation.

My only advice is to not just jump into a move without doing some serious research first. If you are moving here to find a husband or because you want to live somewhere "cheap" you are setting yourself up for failure. Move here because Denver is your type of town. We are not a big city...you can't order Chinese food at 2 am, you won't find a lot of taxis around, you won't find a lot of neon and high cost entertainment. We live in a city that is in the plains...that means lots of yellow and brown flat fields with the mountains as a backdrop. We eat beef (and bison) and are always trying to pretend Denver is not a cow town. I like that Denver has some true Wild West history. If you don't...you need to find somewhere else to live.

Also, and no offense, but if you are the typical Vegas girls...big fake boobs, died hair (with the roots showing) who like to wear skin tight dresses and will pay hundreds of dollars for shoes (but can't afford your rent), Denver is not the place for you. My friends who are single come here because the dating scene is more down to earth than in Scottsdale, AZ. Guys wear hiking boots, cargo pants and don't spend a lot of money on expensive cars (though they own $5000 mountain bikes). It's a down-to-earth kind of place (I'm sure there are exceptions, but I know what my friends tell me and what I see on the streets). Sorry for the stereotyping, but my brother-in-law lives in Vegas and the girls he dates are downright slutty and dress like high class hookers. I thought it was just the kind of girls HE attracts, but then we went out to a few clubs with him and as it turns out, the dating pool there is pretty shallow.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBoy914 View Post
Hey Vegas,

You know the OP is female, right? If so, she's gonna have easy pickins' on the single guys out there.

Well in that case, scrap what I said. Dragonfly, PLEASE come to Denver!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Quote:
Plan on high electricity and gas bills in order to heat your home during the winter and then to cool it off in the summer.
Depends on where you live and what you do. Furthermore, utility costs like water and trash vary widely.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Depends on where you live and what you do. Furthermore, utility costs like water and trash vary widely.
Possibly, though I doubt very much it's cheap anywhere here. Plus, since they are moving from Vegas, if they are anything like me, it will take a while to get adjusted to the temperature difference. The first year we were here, we had the temperature up to 71 in order not to literally be shivering. That bill averaged $150 each for gas and electricity. This year, we've managed to feel comfortable at 68-69 degrees and our bills have dramatically decreased.

My next door neighbor's family has rented an apartment down the street from us to help her out during her first months with a newborn and they told me yesterday that their heating bills were higher in their apartment than they were for their house in Ohio. I suppose it's because they have a ground-floor apartment, but it doesn't seem to be cheap anywhere unless you have a super energy efficient home or can stand to turn the thermostat lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver