Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,774 times

Advertisements

If it helps any, I came from Florida where the humidity is as high as the Midwest. The biggest shock I encountered was that when it was 95 degrees outside in Denver, it felt like the mid to low 80'ds down south. You can feel the heat of the sun, but because it is so dry, you don't really sweat. Also, If you go under a tree, or any type of shade, the temp is literally 15 degrees lower. Since there is low humidity, the heat only occurs in direct sunlight.

Nav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
The problem is that while it rarely gets really hot in Denver, there's always a week or two in July when it is uncomfortably hot (remember that 105 degree day we had back in 2005?) Unlike most other places in this country, A/C is far from universal in Denver, so that does lead to a lot of pain and suffering during that week or two.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,750 times
I love both. You can go up to the mountains and camp to escape the heat here. You go to the lake back in Michigan. I miss Lake Michigan a lot in the summer though.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,476 times
I lived in Ohio for a couple of years, the mid-atlantic (baltimore) for 6 and the rest of my 36 years in MA. I'll take Denver summers over all of them. Yes it can get hot but I'll take the low humidity. I was visiting my family last July and it was disgustingly humid. It was 10pm and still very muggy!

I think we turned on our AC for a total of 3 weeks all summer. The 95-100 degree week and then sparingly on other occassions.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
If it helps any, I came from Florida where the humidity is as high as the Midwest. The biggest shock I encountered was that when it was 95 degrees outside in Denver, it felt like the mid to low 80'ds down south. You can feel the heat of the sun, but because it is so dry, you don't really sweat. Also, If you go under a tree, or any type of shade, the temp is literally 15 degrees lower. Since there is low humidity, the heat only occurs in direct sunlight.

Nav
Very true, but for those of us living in Stapleton (or any newer community) where there are no big trees, stepping outside in summer can feel like stepping into an oven!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
I choose summer in the Midwest. Denver is pretty for the month of May and the first half of June, because it is very rainy and green, at least by CO standards. However, after that point you can count on highs consistently reaching into the 90's and virtually no precipitation. From late July to September the landscape starts turning a hideous brown color, like all the life has been sucked right out of it.

WI may be humid, but at least my state is lush and green during the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
Denver in a heartbeat. No humidity, frequent sun..

I grew up in Chicago. I do not miss those hot humid summers one bit.
Are you sure you're from Chicago and not some far western suburb? Lake Michigan cools things off a good 15 degrees within 2-3 miles of the shore.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,839 times
Quote:
I choose summer in the Midwest. Denver is pretty for the month of May and the first half of June, because it is very rainy and green, at least by CO standards. However, after that point you can count on highs consistently reaching into the 90's and virtually no precipitation.
FAIL.

http://www.go-colorado.com/Denver/Weather/

Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Those are averages. That site shows the average July high as 88. So for every day its 76, there's one that's 100.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:44 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Boy steve, I thought you were a little more intelligent than this. Do you not grasp the concept of averages? Denver has an "average" high temperature of 88 in July. This means there are just as many days ABOVE this temperature as there is below it.

Besides, this thread is asking for opinions of people who have lived in both areas. I'm entitled to have my own opinion since I actually fit the criteria put in place by the OP. Where exactly in the Midwest did you live again?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
I don't think I realized how bad humidity was until I moved away from it. I grew up in Nebraska (we had no a.c.) then later lived in east Texas.

To go back now I find it so hard to deal with. Oppressive. I visited my brother last summer in Wisconsin. I'm the only one who lives in a dry climate - my other siblings who were there also are from Texas and Mississippi. I know they got sick of hearing me complain about the humidity! Makes me completely sluggish.

So I'll take Denver any day over the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver