Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times

Advertisements

The best hiking near Denver is further down the road-- along the road that heads from Bergen Park to Mt Evans (you don't necessarily have to go all the way to the top)/ Echo Lake then back down to Idaho Springs. Usually it's still too much snow on the ground to hike at those elevations in April, but this year, who knows?

Make sure on your way down to LA (I'm assuming I-70 to I-15?) you do plenty of hiking in Utah! Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce, etc. Roxborough/ Red rocks are nice, but they're just a tiny bite sized sliver of the majestic red red country that can be found the next state over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
Since you're just driving through, I'd suggest skipping the foothills and stopping in the mountains and hiking there (Loveland Pass, in/around Summit County, etc.). A good one is Herman Lake off exit 218 -- about 7.5 miles round-trip. In April, you will definitely encounter snow in the higher elevations.

Or, if you've never been, stop in Utah and hike around Moab (e.g. Arches).

Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 AM

247 posts, read 745,165 times
OP, Be careful. You may fall in love and want to ditch the LA plans...

Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
OP, i'll be in Denver for a 4 day trip as well in Mid-April. I'm coming from WV, where my current daily elevation is only 750ft-1,000ft. So i'm sure i'm in for a shock to the system as well. I stay in good shape so hopefully i will adapt quickly so me and the wife can do some hiking.

I hope you find some nice hikes on your visit.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM

269 posts, read 1,267,354 times
So how about an easy 14er? The easiest ones for beginners-
Mt Bierstadt (near Mt Evans)
Gray's Peak (near Silver Plume)
Quandary Peak (near Breck)
Look here for extensive information- 14ers.com - Home of Colorado's Fourteeners and High Peaks

If you'd prefer a Front Range hike, I like a lot of trails in the Boulder area (coz I live here, I suppose ). In Boulder, one of the most rewarding hikes is Bear Peak. It is rated difficult though. Moderate-easy ones include Green Mountain and South Boulder.
More info here- City of Boulder, Colorado -- Official Web Site - OSMP Basic Trail Information

For a unique hike on I-70 (but not close to Denver) look to Hanging Lake, close to Glenwood Springs. The trail is only about 1.2 miles long, but it gains about 1000ft in it. It is very beautiful on top!
Hiking in Colorado - Hanging Lake / Spouting Rock

Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,237 times
I would recommend hiking Devil's Head just west of Castle Rock. It's only a few miles to the top, but it is almost 1500 vertical feet. At the top there is a ranger station where you can climb the 200 steps to the top and get a commanding view of the front range. Its a relatively easy hike since there is a trail all the way to the top. Also, there is plenty of available parking at the trail head.

Nav

Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM

269 posts, read 783,908 times
I'll be looking closely at Eldorado Canyon in Colorado, and the next day I'll go to Arches National Park and hike to Delicate Arch. Then after that I'm going to do Angel's Landing at Zion...I've read crazy things about Angel's Landing! Anyone ever been to that?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:16 AM

6 posts, read 37,241 times
Default How we have been finding hikes

When we moved to Denver, we quickly realized how easy it was to live close to the mountains but get too busy to enjoy them. Two sites have really helped us find hikes and get out on them.

One is Dayhikes Near Denver

The other is Deb Stanley's page at the Denver Examiner site.

Here are some links to some of what we think to be the best hikes near Denver. Hopefully it helps:

Waterfall Hikes Near Denver - ]

Easy Hikes Near Denver

Hikes near Denver for visiting friends and family

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-15-2010 at 08:35 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 10:45 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
If you'd prefer a Front Range hike, I like a lot of trails in the Boulder area (coz I live here, I suppose ). In Boulder, one of the most rewarding hikes is Bear Peak. It is rated difficult though. Moderate-easy ones include Green Mountain and South Boulder.
More info here- City of Boulder, Colorado -- Official Web Site - OSMP Basic Trail Information

I agree Bear Peak is fantastic...not sure if neighboring Fern Canyon is off limits due to nesting Eagles/Falcons..seems like it usually is this time of year. either access from Mesa Trail.NCAR or Shanahan Ridge area. FYI Bear Canyon to the immediate west and south does have an active bear population this time of year..they are attracted to the numerous rasberries found along the streams. I have seen more bears there throughout the years than I have seen in zoos. The name bear canyon..and bear peak is quite fitting. I used to jog the canyon daily.. bears will leave you alone if you give them space. Be sure to sign into the summit log on top, and enjoy the views of Boulder.downtown Denver..and
on a clear day..close to Kansas.

Eldorado Canyon..Mount Sanitas..Mount Falcon...Elk Meadows in Evergreen..and Echo Lake as Vegas suggested all get thumbs up as well

Old 08-15-2010, 12:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
Just did the Trading Post Trail in Red Rocks Park. Nice little day hike if you have an hour or so. Very close to the city also, was a 20 min drive from Littleton

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/snikt228/DSC_0001.jpg (broken link)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/snikt228/DSC_0013.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver