Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 PM

5 posts, read 24,644 times

Advertisements

I've got an opportunity to either move to the Pacific Northwest or to Denver. To make a long story short, I'd like some insight from Denver peeps on its perks, downsides, where to avoid, and why you like/don't like it.
Thanks!
PS Yes, yes... let's just forget my handle and hockey all together! Lol.... I know ALL too well the two teams don't get along....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwinggirlie View Post
I've got an opportunity to either move to the Pacific Northwest or to Denver. To make a long story short, I'd like some insight from Denver peeps on its perks, downsides, where to avoid, and why you like/don't like it.
Thanks!
PS Yes, yes... let's just forget my handle and hockey all together! Lol.... I know ALL too well the two teams don't get along....
Denver's good. Wonderful weather. Lot of activities around, golf, horse riding. I joined an equestrian club this weekend and am having a ball.

Not much populated like NYC or LA, but that's alright with time.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 PM

I prefer a small, big city actually. But the landscape seems to leave much to be desired. I know this has been asked in other threads before, but I do appreciate your comments.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
I prefer a small, big city actually. But the landscape seems to leave much to be desired. I know this has been asked in other threads before, but I do appreciate your comments.
I moved here last month. It's barely been 20 days. The first ten days I was pissed off big time. I was having a ball in NYC/CT.

Then I got psychologically patched up.

I got rid of my overcoat. Multiple layers of clothing.

No more suits/perfect formals to office

Cheap food. My average lunch was at 20$ every working day. Then add the accessories like starbucks, snacks. I popped into Lamar's donuts, got a big one, some coffee and other stuff and was startled for it just cost me 2.85. This would easily cost me seven in manhattan

I found a nice apartment too. I am cooking again In new york, they have this ridiculous thing called kitchenette. If you want a kitchen, rent shoots up to 1500 something. And the kitchenette, there's a tiny fridge and a microwave oven.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:07 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Start off by flipping through the forum archives-- you'll find thousands of posts here from people who love, hate, and are indifferent to Denver. Then when you have a specific question, let us know.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:08 PM

I pack my own grub anyhow for the most part, but cool beans to you! Not sure if I want downtown or further out to live... Am visiting for the second time in about a month.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:10 PM

I do have a specific question. Regarding RN positions (most threads regarding this issue are old... things change daily) Where to work?
Where not to work?
Is anyone hiring?
I've done scads of searches and basically come up with nothing but agencies looking to get travel RNs. That's not my scene.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
Quote:
I do have a specific question. Regarding RN positions (most threads regarding this issue are old... things change daily) Where to work?
Where not to work?
Is anyone hiring?
I've done scads of searches and basically come up with nothing but agencies looking to get travel RNs. That's not my scene.
Try colorado state employment website. They are hiring tons of RN positions.

Also, try Denver public health website.

Is Denver cool? Hell ya! Mile high all day long here!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 PM

Perfect! Will do.... I did that about a month ago... time for a revisit. Thank you!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Where not to work?
Is anyone hiring?
Nursing jobs can take a while to find if you're looking for something other than hospital shift work. The teaching hospitals are Denver Health, University Hospital, Children's, St. Joseph's, Pres/St. Luke's, St. Anthony's and probably a couple more I can't think of right now. There's also Swedish, Porter, and Lutheran that are fairly large, and a number of community hospitals. Most, if not all, these hospitals should have websites with job postings. I'm not actively looking for a job, so I don't know who's hiring at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver