Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,993 times

Advertisements

my friend and i are looking for a place to stay. we'll be going to college, but we want to become residents first, to make college cheaper.

we were hoping to find an inexpensive hotel/motel that charges either weekly or monthly, in the denver area. we aren't having much luck finding anything.

know of any places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM

24 posts, read 108,396 times
Have you tried hostels?

Not sure if I'm allowed to post direct links, but Google search "hostel" leads to good links where you can find places.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:30 PM

14 posts, read 41,772 times
Im not sure about a hotel besides an extended stay, but you can check on craigslist under the sublets and temporary ads.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,408,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naliax View Post
my friend and i are looking for a place to stay. we'll be going to college, but we want to become residents first, to make college cheaper.

we were hoping to find an inexpensive hotel/motel that charges either weekly or monthly, in the denver area. we aren't having much luck finding anything.

know of any places?
There are many of such type of hotel and motels; they are very easy to find. However, does living in a temporary housing qualify for an intent of residency???

In addition, being an alien living in the US, does not itself define a permanent residency for status of instate tuition. Since you are not defined as students yet, how do you claim legal residency???? A student visa does not bestow permanent residency. Even if you receive a student visa, that will not qualify you for instate tuition, after one year; you would have to be a non-immigration alien "for the purpose of other than education".

You cannot just move and live here; you have to meet immigration requirements; that is get a "green card" to signify that you are an permanent resident alien. Those are interesting issues that beg an answer.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-10-2009 at 07:47 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There are many of such type of hotel and motels; they are very easy to find. However, does living in a temporary housing qualify for an intent of residency???

In addition, being an alien living in the US, does not itself define a permanent residency for status of instate tuition. Since you are not defined as students yet, how do you claim legal residency???? A student visa does not bestow permanent residency. Even if you receive a student visa, that will not qualify you for instate tuition, after one year; you would have to be a non-immigration alien "for the purpose of other than education".

You cannot just move and live here; you have to meet immigration requirements; that is get a "green card" to signify that you are an permanent resident alien. Those are interesting issues that beg an answer.

Livecontent

true, there are several things yet we have addressed. i'm going to talk to the guidance counselor at my school when the new school year begins, to find out what i need.

knowing a place we can live, however, will help our worries greatly.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 15,371 times
My understanding is that (immigration issues aside) you must be a resident of Colorado for 1 year before being considered eligible for in state tuition. Being a resident is defined as a lease or home ownership, drivers license, voting registration, etc. This is all assuming that the you can clear the immigration issues also.

As far as your initial question, many apartment complexes will rent to you monthly. Email them and ask, but most of them will charge a lot for month to month lease. There are several short term rentals - google "short term apartment". There are several companies that specialize in this. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: