Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 AM

36 posts, read 108,423 times

Advertisements

Just my experience as a young single woman new to Denver....

I'm not sure if I'm just used to more "aggressive" guys back east (meaning they come up and talk to you, I don't mean aggressive in a creepy/dangerous way), but I find myself walking around town surrounded by tons of handsome, rugged, athletic men (totally my type), but very few seem to be open to striking up a conversation.

Perhaps they're taken, or not interested, or whatever, but the "shy mountain man" stereotype I have found to be (frustratingly) true.

That being said, you're more likely to find me in the gym, snowboarding, at laid-back microbreweries, hiking or camping than in a bar or club...so maybe that's my problem.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Hunters, target in sight, get ready to capture the endangered specimen

On the count of 3...

Old 01-13-2010, 02:48 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory81 View Post
San Francisco has some of the ugliest women I've seen anywhere. Plain Janes. Walk around the business district and you'll see what I mean, they're all very plain, not-sexy neredy types. So no, I wouldn't recommend that town for women. Denver has lots of hot women though, but most of them are not very ambitious and go for the snowboarder/outdoor bum types, not the professional men who don't wear DC Shoes and emo hoodies.

lol.. I went for a musican from Denver. he doesn't wear DC shoes or emo hoodies either.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:06 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freudgirl View Post
I'm not sure if I'm just used to more "aggressive" guys back east (meaning they come up and talk to you, I don't mean aggressive in a creepy/dangerous way), but I find myself walking around town surrounded by tons of handsome, rugged, athletic men (totally my type), but very few seem to be open to striking up a conversation.
Welcome to the West.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 AM

180 posts, read 378,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
what is with the questions about an entire city being a great dating scene?
No kidding.

If you can't find a date in your current area, chances are moving won't help.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freudgirl View Post
Just my experience as a young single woman new to Denver....

What's stopping you from talking to them? Why do guys always have to make the first move? Lots of times, we're aloof & terrible at noticing when a woman wants us. Take a chance. Don't just wait for everyone to come to you.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
No kidding.

If you can't find a date in your current area, chances are moving won't help.

People who say this fail to understand the cultural differences between places.

True, it may be that the OP is hindered by his or her own personal issues, in which case moving won't help. But, it is equally true that one place is different than another and some people find it difficult to integrate. Some places are open and friendly while others are indifferent and reserved. Expected behaviors can be different when it comes to meeting people, asking them on a date and so forth. A person may be accustomed to one set of rules only to find they don't know what is expected of them in a new place.

You become aware of this fact keenly if you spend time living in another country (not as military or tourist) or living amongst members of a different culture.

In a case such as the OP, you can't jump to an assumption, you have to dig deeper.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
The easiest way to strike up a conversation with a stranger is to say something not related to either party. Like the weather, cliché as it is. Or the big game. Or how late is this bus? Have you heard Paul will be at Red Rocks with Ringo? Can you believe the Broncos will play in London?

Get the idea?

Not a good idea is:
Can I borrow a five?
Got smokes?
Wanna sip?
I never go to bars like this.
Does my hair look ok?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:37 AM

35 posts, read 123,419 times
as a contrarian...i say...what the heck is wrong with going to a nice, upscale bar after work..and having a club soda and lime? i like to throw back a beer/2...but...plenty of people do it. you'll meet other professionals and i'm wholeheartedly convinced most are not slovenly drunks. it's not a perfect solution...but...it's certainly a medium to meet people...that always get's villified!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanman7 View Post
as a contrarian...i say...what the heck is wrong with going to a nice, upscale bar after work..and having a club soda and lime? i like to throw back a beer/2...but...plenty of people do it. you'll meet other professionals and i'm wholeheartedly convinced most are not slovenly drunks. it's not a perfect solution...but...it's certainly a medium to meet people...that always get's villified!
There's a reason it's vilified. For every normal person, there are about 10 drunks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver