Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 PM
SFT SFT started this thread

79 posts, read 207,247 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a college student that is considering moving after finishing school next year. I currently live in New Hampshire and love the beach, mountains, lakes, etc. and I am looking for a place similar. From what I have found thus far Colorado looks great. I had a few questions if people would not mind answering, I value the opinions of people who live around the area rather than random Googled information.

Is land reasonably priced within say 20-30 minutes of major cities, especially Denver? One thing I am looking for moving out of New Hampshire would be the ability to get more land for lower prices. I'd be looking at at least something in the 5-10 acre range, but could go as high as up to 50 eventually.

Are there a lot of good lakes in the area that serve as the equivalent to the ocean on the east coast? Basically where people go on nice summer days with friends, family, etc.

For people who relocated to Denver area, did you find the move easy to adjust to?

I would appreciate any other information regarding benefits of living in Colorado, etc. It will be a tough decision if I decide to move away from New Hampshire because all my family is here, but for the right opportunity and a change of scenary I am considering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 PM

116 posts, read 411,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT View Post
Is land reasonably priced within say 20-30 minutes of major cities, especially Denver? One thing I am looking for moving out of New Hampshire would be the ability to get more land for lower prices. I'd be looking at at least something in the 5-10 acre range, but could go as high as up to 50 eventually.
What's reasonable? I don't know how land prices in NH compare, but land is pretty expensive along the Front Range. That's why many neighborhoods are so tight. "Sugar Passers," as I like to call them (cuz when you ask your neighbors if you can borrow some sugar, they can pass it to you from their window to yours). To put it another way, I have a .25-acre lot and it was marketed as "over-sized." But I'd take a look at realtor.com to compare with NH prices.

Quote:
Are there a lot of good lakes in the area that serve as the equivalent to the ocean on the east coast? Basically where people go on nice summer days with friends, family, etc.
"Lakes" in Colorado tend to be very small, freezing cold and in the mountains. "Reservoirs" are what you'll find mostly, especially along the Front Range. There are places where you can boat, water ski and swim with beaches and all, but it's not like the ocean.

Quote:
For people who relocated to Denver area, did you find the move easy to adjust to? ... any other information regarding benefits of living in Colorado, etc.
Yes. Unbelievably easy. I love the diverse culture, the people, the music venues (most concert tours seem to pass through this area), the restaurants, the events/festivals, the breweries, the liquor stores, the hiking, the omnipresent biking/walking paths, the views, the art galleries/museums, the incredible weather and MANY blue-sky days, the airport, the access to world-class skiing and climbing, ...

Bottom line, if you like any of those things, you'll love Colorado.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:31 AM

291 posts, read 911,200 times
Lupulin covered it well. If you want beach and cheaper land, than try moving to somewhere close to the great lakes. It's very difficult to get that much land in your 20-30 minute time frame. Land like that will not be cheap and will be quite a ways east of metro Denver. You might find some in the mountains that's closer, but it won't be cheap and may even have part of it be flat. I came from Wisconsin and I pined for the lakes an water but once I told myself I don't live there anymore I had a much easier time of making the transition. That was 35 years ago and I still love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: