Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

People in Omaha have mixed accents, some very midwestern, some less so. We noticed on that trip at Christmas, that as you go farther west in NE, the speech becomes more like that of CO. I guess that makes them more "western" than midwestern. Perhaps the dividing line is somewhere in W. Nebraska.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
As someone from the left coast who's been to Texas, Missouri, and Iowa, I can see how people would think of Denver as Midwestern. I think the big thing is the relative flatness of the terrain and the fact that you can actually look outside of town and see open fields to the horizon. It might be dry prairie grass in Denver vs. corn in Iowa, but it's still more natural looking than what I see on a daily basis. The first time I got the rental car up to speed on Pena Blvd I looked around and thought "This looks like Iowa" and even the sound of the car's tires against the road surface reminded me of Iowa. I don't know if it's the road material or the some surface treatment but there's a distinct sound we don't have in California, even though we do have grooved concrete freeways too. Denver reminds me of the Midwest in that things are more spread out and traffic is so much less. Driving a couple of hours down the Interstate to the next city, and seeing open space in between, is so refreshing. No so here. People in the middle of the country don't seem so rushed either.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Denver is not a midwestern city. Usually people who call Denver a "midwestern" city are from one of the two coasts and are totally ignorant of everything in the middle of the country, often forgetting the existence of the entire mountain west region, lumping it all together. However I can see calling it "Middle America," as it IS a very middle-of-the-country kind of place culturally.

You're right as those who live on the coasts consider anything in the middle a cultural wasteland.

I suppose if you look at the map, Colorado IS more in the middle, but having grown up on the West Coast, I felt like I was coming home when we moved here from Florida. There is something about mountains, wide-open spaces, cowboys-and-Indians history and the general attitude that defines the West Coast for me and Colorado meets those definitions to a tee.

By the way, I am totally excluding California when I speak about the "west coast." It's like telling an East Coaster that you live on the East Coast because you are in Florida. Most will say, "Florida is not the East Coast" which is weird because it can't get any more "east" than it is. I think it's a general feeling that it gives off. Most West Coasters have a very definite opinion about California (deservedly or not) and most of them blame California for everything...bad drivers, rude people, inflating the housing market, destroying our school system, illegal immigration...the list goes on an on.

Because of our attitudes, political leanings, love of the great outdoors and the love of hiking boots, cargo pants and (unfortunately) people wearing Tevas with socks , I would define Colorado as a West Coast state. I suppose that is a huge generalization, but there you go.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
We are just cowboys that surf snow..

Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
It's like telling an East Coaster that you live on the East Coast because you are in Florida.
Funny you say that. When I first joined here, I set out wanting to move to Miami, and chose this handle. Silly me. Now I know better and have often thought of changing my handle to reflect Miami, not the east coast. I'm too lazy though.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Funny you say that. When I first joined here, I set out wanting to move to Miami, and chose this handle. Silly me. Now I know better and have often thought of changing my handle to reflect Miami, not the east coast. I'm too lazy though.
I know...I think that's weird. When I heard people say that Florida was NOT the East Coast, I wondered. It got even weirder because I made a few friends there who were from the South (Alabama, Georgia) and they declared that Florida was not part of the "South" either.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 PM

30 posts, read 54,190 times
Well, If you think about it, Denver is logistically in the center of the United States. Take a look at the map. So its not a mid western or a west coast state. It's a Rocky mountain state. See ya.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
Southerners are pretty territorial when it comes to the South. And yeah, Florida is east coast to me! But most people don't consider it.

Quote:
I know...I think that's weird. When I heard people say that Florida was NOT the East Coast, I wondered. It got even weirder because I made a few friends there who were from the South (Alabama, Georgia) and they declared that Florida was not part of the "South" either.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
By the way, I am totally excluding California when I speak about the "west coast." .
Just what IS the west coast then?

I can assure you back in PA or even Illinois, we thought of California as the west coast.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
kinda surprised~ that the midwest according to Wikapedia includes most states EAST of the middle of the us than west~ ya can tell it was made by easterners!! Tain't midwest till its west of the mississippi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver