Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:02 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,801 times

Advertisements

Given the state of the economy and summer vacation looming, I was wondering if anyone has some great ideas for a 2 or 3 day "staycation" for families who want to vacation, but may not have enough money to take a big trip. We do live in Colorado after all (a place where many out-of-staters take their own vacation) so if anyone has some great ideas/itineraries, I would appreciate it (as I'm sure many others would as well).

I'm specifically looking for ideas outside of Denver. I know there are fun things to do in Denver but I still want my kids to have the excitement of packing a suitcase and staying in a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 04:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Steamboat Springs, Ouray, Durango......

Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
Have an adventure. Take the train to Glenwood Springs. (Here's a link to a package available that includes train, hotel, hot springs pass to give you an idea)
Train to Glenwood Springs Colorado ~ Amtrak Travel Packages

Old 04-04-2009, 06:06 PM

I've always wanted to do the Silverton to Durango train.....

Old 04-04-2009, 07:11 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Out of state (but nearby) ideas:

Moab, Utah. About 6 hours away. Arches, Canyonlands, tons of fun outdoors, incredible red rock scenery.

You could go down to Santa Fe/ Taos/ Albuquerque, New Mexico. Great food, beautiful scenery and architecture, high deserts and mountains, a lot of museums & culture & history in Santa Fe. Only a 6 hour drive. Oh wait, I forgot you hate New Mexico.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:12 PM

Sand Dunes? Mesa Verde? Black Canyon?

Old 04-04-2009, 07:16 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sand Dunes? Mesa Verde? Black Canyon?
Each of which are all great places to see.

Unfortunately though I feel that April and also May is probably the worst time of the year to vacation in Colorado. The skiing starts to suck (unless if you catch an immediate snowstorm), but the mountains are still too wet/cold for summer activities. This is the time of year when I especially like taking road trips to the desert southwest. That is, if a mega blizzard doesn't prevent you from getting there or back.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:19 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
From Aurora to Durango shoots the better part of a day, each way, but it can be done.

Closer to Denver, try this resort up at Grand Lake, the horseback riding is superb in summer and the lake is gorgeous. You can be there in under 3 hours from Aurora via I-70 and Berthoud Pass, or you can take the long way via Estes Park and Trail Ridge Road through RMNP. Been there and can personally attest that it's a good place. They are very near the Continental Divide and a small piece of the Colorado River runs through it, almost at the headwaters.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Each of which are all great places to see.

Unfortunately though I feel that April and also May is probably the worst time of the year to vacation in Colorado. The skiing starts to suck (unless if you catch an immediate snowstorm), but the mountains are still too wet/cold for summer activities. This is the time of year when I especially like taking road trips to the desert southwest. That is, if a mega blizzard doesn't prevent you from getting there or back.

I thought the OP was asking about places to go this summer...? Perhaps I misunderstood.....

April is definitely "iffy" to go anywhere around here! We were lucky to make it from Laramie to Ft. Colllins last night.....

Old 04-04-2009, 07:31 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,366 times
I totally agree with Suzo and Mike FBE!

Glenwood is perfect and thinks to do for kids. If you drive up, you can checkout the castle in the Red Stone/Marble area and the marble quaries. Then head into Snowmass and Aspen, all about 40 minutes from Glenwood. The Maroon Bells mountain range is my favorite of the 14,000 foot peaks in the state. The gondolas up Aspen mountain are great fun and you will get the feeling that Juile Andrews had in the opening of the 'Sound of Music', if you remember that flick.

Grand Lake and any place in the Rocky Mountain National park is great. Sadly the pine beetle has munched so much of the western side that the hills appear redish or rust in color. But there is still much to see and do. Winter Park is on the way up if you take I-70, the other direction in would be through Estes Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver