Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM

43 posts, read 143,136 times

Advertisements

I'm a 26 year old male living in Oregon. I grew up in Portland and want to get away for a while. While I love Portland, it's grown too ordinary for me. So I visited Denver last summer on a road trip and liked what I saw. I've also read a lot about Denver being a good place for young people. I think one magazine I read even ranked it as one of the best major cities for dating.

So I'm single and was wondering if Denver IS a good place to meet people my age. What about the dating scene? I would be living within city limits as I refuse to live in suburbs. Hopefully close to downtown. I would also be going to school.

So I've read some of the forums saying Denver is boring for young people but then I read magazines that say it's awesome for young people because of all of the outdoor stuff. So what's the verdict? Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Denver is not a place you should casually move "just because" whether that's because you're bored, or you read some ranking in some magazine, or something you've "heard." Only move to Denver if you're thoroughly researched it, you have a good reason to move there (such as you work in an industry that is particularly strong there, you have family in Denver, or you just plain have acquired a taste for the city for whatever reason), and you really want to live there. Otherwise I'll bet you'll be gone in no time, off to the next hot spot espoused by whatever magazine. Denver is a nice place to live. But, no doubt about it, it's an ordinary city, so if that's what you're trying to escape from, I'd suggest keep looking. Maybe Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco... for something a little more out of the ordinary.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looopson View Post
I've also read a lot about Denver being a good place for young people.
And old people, middle-aged people, and very young people.

All age groups are represented here.

Quote:
I think one magazine I read even ranked it as one of the best major cities for dating.......So I'm single and was wondering if Denver IS a good place to meet people my age. What about the dating scene?
I'm one year younger than you, and I don't know too many people my age, but then again, I'm not looking for anybody.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "God, I love being a Turtle!"

No wait, that's not it. Here it is: "successful dates are dumb luck".

Good luck to you.

Quote:
I would be living within city limits as I refuse to live in suburbs. Hopefully close to downtown. I would also be going to school.
Yeah, don't live out here with all us dumb, soulless losers out in the suburbs. Make sure you insulate yourself well away from us in the center of the city.

Not all city is city and not all suburb is suburb, if ya know what I mean.

Quote:
So I've read some of the forums saying Denver is boring for young people but then I read magazines that say it's awesome for young people because of all of the outdoor stuff. So what's the verdict? Thanks guys.
See those grains of salt sitting right next to the forums and magazines? Take some of those.

A place is what you make of it, if you choose to make something of it.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:18 PM

229 posts, read 750,530 times
You'll be going to school? Undergraduate, graduate, technical, trade, culinary? Like what? Full-time, part-time? Where?

The city of Denver itself may not be the best place for someone looking for the traditional college lifestyle. Plus, if your 26, undergrad girls might think you're kinda old.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 PM

43 posts, read 143,136 times
Wow, I was just asking for input if Denver is a good city for young people. I wasn't expecting these kinds of responses. You guys are dicks. I guess I'll ask elsewhere. But thanks for reading at least.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:38 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,912 times
I hope it is, since I want to live in Denver after I graduate

Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
Quote:
You guys are dicks.
LOL!

You're funny

Denver is fun...there is a bunch to do both in the city and out of the city.

Of course if you want to live in the city center its going to take longer to get into the mountains.

Consider Golden if playing in the hills is more important than Saturday night fun.

Dating here is what you make it. I am sure you will have no trouble. You just might need some thicker skin :P

Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,093 times
Unable to find a suitable dating scene in a city like Denver is more a statement about the individual and less about this city; this goes for any larger desirable metro area..I find it laugh out loud hillarious when some one says there isn't a large population of attractive single women in Denver. Meeting the right person isn't always easy, but that's not because they are not out here.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,071 times
Quote:
Wow, I was just asking for input if Denver is a good city for young people. I wasn't expecting these kinds of responses. You guys are dicks. I guess I'll ask elsewhere. But thanks for reading at least.
I do not think they were trying to be "dicks" as much as trying to bring you more to reality. Things in Colorado are not what the magazines and people outside of Colorado would have you think, Denver is not surrounded by mountains, it is not the "emerald city" of OZ. It is a great place to live, but throw your expectations out the window and come visit for a while and look at the city for all of its good, and its not so good.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:14 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Denver is good for all people above ground that like sweeping changes in weather. Beautiful scenery, nice people, good opportunities for jobs, housing, recreation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver