Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 AM

32 posts, read 97,652 times

Advertisements

Good day sirs/madams.

A question! Is is possible to purchase a home in the denver area, near light rail in a walkable neighborhood under $200K? I generally qualify a "walkable" neigh as one where I don't need a car to go to: 1.the groc. store 2) light rail 3) dog parks 4)restuarants/shops. Please reply w/ a list (top 3-5) neighs. to consider when in Denver this July. Cheaper is always better

Many thanks for your responses.

tdm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Are you looking for a single family home or a condo? There should be condos and townhomes in that price range, but I'm not sure about single family.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:52 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Absolutely! You can find single family homes in Englewood for less then 200K. They will most likely be smaller homes and will be fixer uppers but your budget is not unreasonable. Englewood has light rail access as well as easy access via RTD to downtown Denver. It is a walkable area. You can walk to restaurants, shops, live music venues, grocery stores as well as medical offices (Swedish Hospital is in Englewood). It has a nice library and rec center as well as parks. It's only about 8 miles from downtown Denver.

Here's an old thread with photos of the area:
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ry-modern.html

Last edited by Dorthy; 04-15-2009 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: add photo link

Old 04-15-2009, 01:57 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Dedicated Dog Parks?

Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM

32 posts, read 97,652 times
wow! thanks for the responses. In terms of a SFH or condo/townhome I suppose that depends. I'm really looking for something w/ a yard (for the pooch) so while that may include a townhome I'm not sure a condo generally fits there. As for the dog parks, they probably don't need to be dedicated or fenced, just tolerated and/or permitted.

PS. I really like that bike path that runs down the Platte!!! Thanks for the heads up on E'wood.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:14 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
dogs are welcome on leashes

- price range? There are 103 under $200

Last edited by 2bindenver; 04-15-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 02:29 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
2b, the OP already stated that they are looking for something under 200K.

Here's a link to off leash dog parks.
Colorado Dog Fun - Dog Parks

There are a few in Englewood.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 PM

195 posts, read 794,143 times
Default hmmm

I bought for under 200K last year with similar requirements..if I had to do it again, I would have taken a closer look at the Berkely/Sunnyside/Highlands area. The area around Tennyson St. is very walkable.

Also check out Platt Park, very nice.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 AM

91 posts, read 340,102 times
I really like the area around Colfax and Krameria for walkability. But that would be the Mayfair and South Park Hill neighborhoods which tend to be pricier than what your looking for. I live just a mile or so east of there near Quebec and Colfax where housing is much cheaper. My house is within walking distance of many great amenities in all directions. I live very close (a two-minute walk) to the Stapleton dog park and several other Stapleton parks and bike paths. Also, Lowry is very close as well, so between Stapleton, Lowry and Krameria, there are lots of options for shopping. There are a lot of great restaurants on Colfax just a short walk or bus ride or car ride away. There's no light rail over here, but the Colfax bus is the busiest and most frequent bus line in the city.

If you're into biking around, Montview Blvd has a designated bike lane and Stapleton and Lowry have some bike paths as well. There is even a study being done right now to explore the feasibility of building a bike path along Westerly Creek that would run through the older neighborhood and connect Lowry to Stapleton. I believe this project is called the Westerly Creek Connection.

So I would say that walkable and affordable are realistic. Certainly, the area I live in is still a little rough around the edges, but that's exactly why it's still affordable, and I don't imagine it will stay that way forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver