Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 28,043 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing alot of rental homes available in Thornton. Is this a nice town to live? We need to rent for a few months before purchasing a home in the Denver area. We might need to rent a place sight unseen as we are trying to move to Denver in a 4 week period and will be driving across country with our two small children (and dog!). It may be better to stay in an extended stay hotel first, I guess. Just wondering if anyone can give me the scoop on Thornton since there are so many properties available there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,259,449 times
Like Denver, it depends what part of Thornton the houses are in. Thornton itself is fairly large in terms of geography.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,079,679 times
Ageed with CowBoyxJon, Thornton has some rough areas, rougher then Denver, but some very nice. WantToMoveEast could tell you these sections. However, I know of several folks who have used a few of the extended stay hotels in Denver while between homes, and they worked well for them. Best of luck to you for a smooth transition!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks for your input...I am thinking staying in a hotel for a few weeks might be best. That way we could see the rental homes (and neighborhoods) before deciding on one. I think I'm just panicking because of the short time frame! But we have done extended stay before and it wasn't too bad. Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:39 PM

128 posts, read 436,430 times
Default Can't comment on Thornton but...

Day's Inn near I-25/C470 (far south end of Denver)...$40/night weekly rate and are pet friendly if that's an issue. I think after all the taxes and pet fee my week long stay was about $320 if memory serves, I have the receipt somewhere. Not the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in but plenty livable for a week or two. I'm sure hotels closer to downtown will be more expensive, naturally so that is something else to keep in mind if you're footing the bill. It worked out well for us as we were looking for a place in the Aurora/DTC/Littleton area and those are all on the south side.

Google street view is worth using to get a general idea of the neighborhood too if you have not thought of it yet. I would not rent a place here (or anywhere) sight unseen...some of the places we looked at didn't quite live up to expectations from the pics but nothing really misleading, just things you can't tell from pics.

With that in mind I highly suggest a cheaper hotel to stay in for at least a week so you can at least get a rough feel for the different areas.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:10 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Would def suggest the extended stay hotel for at least a week of house hunting. Rentals often open up the first of the month. If you get here in early May, you will have plenty of time to find something to move into for June 1.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Thanks again everyone. We have discussed it and decided we might try to stay in an extended stay hotel for the entire summer in order to avoid moving twice. They are studio style rooms with full kitchens so we could make do- but it will be challenging since we have two little ones. Has anyone heard of the Savannah Suites? They have locations on North Sheridan and also in Westminster (some street called Mariposa). Just wondering. They seem to have a good price and look nice in the pictures but you never know...

Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,401,516 times
Within Thornton and Northglenn, I would stick more north of 120th ave. There is a pretty clear distinction between the new and old parts of Thornton. I would avoid the areas south of 104th, definitely the areas south and around 84th ave. Not that they are horrible, they are just run down and not very pleasant to the eye, as well as having a few questionable characters wandering around.

North of 120th is all newer build, still well maintained and full of life. mostly younger family's with some older folks thrown in the mix. Northglenn is within the area as well. It is a town that is landlocked and surrounded on three sides by Thornton.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
North of 120th is all newer build, still well maintained and full of life.
This makes me wonder if in ten (or less) years the "dividing line" will be 136th. (Or CO-7, or CO-52, or Wyoming)

If so, that's pretty sad, for all of us.

84th and 104th seem pretty full of life to me, but the people that live in those areas might not have the want/time/money/wherewithal to throw any/all discretionary income into (or go into debt for) upkeep for 50 year-old homes, not to mention, new homes shouldn't need a huge amount of maintenance.

Why does new automatically = good?

I for one, don't feel sorry for the people that live up north that spend what should be their spare time sitting on I-25.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,401,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
This makes me wonder if in ten (or less) years the "dividing line" will be 136th. (Or CO-7, or CO-52, or Wyoming)

If so, that's pretty sad, for all of us.

84th and 104th seem pretty full of life to me, but the people that live in those areas might not have the want/time/money/wherewithal to throw any/all discretionary income into (or go into debt for) upkeep for 50 year-old homes, not to mention, new homes shouldn't need a huge amount of maintenance.

Why does new automatically = good?

I for one, don't feel sorry for the people that live up north that spend what should be their spare time sitting on I-25.

good does not = good automatically. I was talking more in aesthetics than dangerous vs. safe. there are many older shops (60's-70's) that are in deep disrepair, many older homes and industrial buildings within the area as well that are also in disrepair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver