Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,862 times

Advertisements

Berkeley is a city-center neighborhood in Denver, Colorado , located northwest of the original city site, today on the west side of Interstate 25 . The neighborhood is bounded by Federal Boulevard on the east, Interstate 70 on the north, Sheridan Boulevard on the West and 38th avenue on the south. Berkeley is part of the area traditionally called North Denver. It is bordered by the West Highland neighborhood on the south and is often casually grouped together with the Highlands. The neighborhood contains two lakes surrounded by parks, one eponymous near 46th Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard and Rocky Mountain Lake Park on Lowell Boulevard and 46th.

Here are some of my photos to give you an idea of the area, some shot with my old camera last summer and some this year with a better camera. I am including the neighborhood of Regis and the amusement park Lakeside, which sits in a city of its own.

A large number of the homes around Rocky Mountain Lake Park and west to Berkeley Lake Park are small Tudor styled but with tons of character.

Though it is on 38th and technically in the West Highlands, here are some shots of the old Elitch Gardens. The old Theater and the Carousel were in their original location since 1890. The rest of the park moved to the Central Platt Valley in 1995.

It is very expensive to keep the theater erect and the outside has been repaired but the inside was as it look when I was a kid.

The shell of the carousel is used as a huge gazebo for the newly created neighborhood that sits where the old amusement park use to sit.

Some entire blocks look totally untouched from their original establishment, others have significant changes, examples later in the tour.

Some of the small Tudor and Victorian structures have had pop top additions to them, some look okay others are horrid.

Art Deco crept into the area in the 1920s with homes like this.

Several mansions dot the neighborhood but not a large abundance of them.

Olinger Moore Howard Chapel just east of Berkeley Lake Park. I have been here a few times to say goodbye to family and friends who lived in the area.

The view is much more welcoming in the summer months but still great in any season.

Regis University is a private, co-educational Roman Catholic, Jesuit university founded by the Society of Jesus in 1877. It is one of 28 member institutions of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities. Regis College, the Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions and the College for Professional Studies. The University's forerunner was established in Las Vegas, New Mexico by a group of exiled Italian Jesuits.

In 1884, the Bishop of Denver invited the Jesuits to move the school to nearby Morrison where it was opened as Sacred Heart College. In 1887, the school moved once again to its present location and in 1921 adopted the name of Regis College in honor of Saint John Francis Regis, a 17th century Jesuit who worked with prostitutes and the poor in the mountains of Southern France. In 1991, it was renamed Regis University with three schools: the original Regis College, the School for Professional Studies, and the School for Health Professions.

For the 14th consecutive year, Regis was named a top school in the West at the Master's level by US News and World Report. Notable alumni, Bill Murray, actor, Campbell Brown, television news personality – CNN, Edwin J. Feulner, president of The Heritage Foundation, a conservative Washington D.C. think tank and Rowan Gillespie, sculptor, was awarded an honorary doctorate at Regis in 2007.

Just over I-70, to the north of Berkeley Lake Park is the Willis Case - Regis Golf course.

This still considered Denver and the houses are similar but you will find more of them are larger and more Victorian in nature.

November 3, 1858 a goodly number of Masons met in a cabin on Cherry Creek in Denver to start the first Lodge of Freemasonry in Colorado. They contributed to the founding of the City of Denver and building of its character. Thirty years later, EL JEBEL SHRINE was chartered, and has contributed color, spirit and a fine balance of fun and philanthropy.
The new Mosque was dedicated November 1929 because more room was needed for its 5,500 Nobles, so EL JEBEL purchased the defaulting Rocky Mountain Country Club with 193 acres at 50th and Vrain in Denver, Colorado. The Great Depression of 1929 took its toll on their Nobles and in 1936 EL JEBEL was forced to sell the golf course to the City of Denver to pay off the Mosque and to retain the Shrine. EL JEBEL is Arabic for "The Mountain". http://www.eljebelshrine.org

This Victorian is easily over 100 years old:

Lakeside Amusement Park is a family-owned park in Lakeside, Colorado. It opened on May 30, 1908 and is one of the oldest amusement parks in the nation, and is still in it's original location. It is set against the shore of Lake Rhoda and the miniature railway circles the lake on a 22 gauge track. The first two steam locomotives were the "Puffing Billy" and "Whistling Tom" from the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. The park also has the first miniature gauge diesel locomotive, replicating the famous California Zephyr, manufactured in the 1930s. The steam locomotives are retired.
I can remember many a trips here when funds became too low to go to Elitches. Nickel day, La Raza day, fun times, especially on the speed boats.

Read more: http://americanhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/colorado_miniature_steam_train_rides#ixzz0CzDhR8Nm &B

I had to check out the park last summer and again road the train, the Wild Chipmunk and the Coaster. The Art Deco of the park really came alive as I didn’t know what Deco was as a kid. The park is right across Sheridan Blvd. to the west from Berkeley Lake Park

Many of the rides are Art Deco in style.

Lakeside's Cyclone Coaster has been ranked as a great classic coaster by ACE (American Coaster enthusiasts). I heard somewhere that this coaster is the last of the wooden structured coasters in the nation. This coaster has the vintage look of yesteryear.

View of the lake from the train –

The park reopens for business May 2, 2009 and I highly recommend the roller coaster for cheap fast fun. http://www.lakesideamusementpark.com/History.php

The former Mary Crest Girls high school. Friends in my neighborhood who had money went to either Mary Crest (girls), Regis or Mullen (boys) for High School –

The Berkeley School across the street from Regis University, built 1906

For the lively ‘epicenter’ of the Berkeley area, let’s check out Tennyson Street from 44th to 38th.
I remember this building use to be the local near new called Janet Lee. Mom use to drag me in here with her after visiting her mom who lived a few block east. Now it is a wonderful restaurant – Parisi.

Every small building or home that is facing Tennyson is now a business due to commercial zoning.

[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/denveraztec/Denver/2009%20Ber
keley%20Lakeside%20Regis/WestHighlands_319.jpg[/IMG]

The area is not immune to the modern structures that can be seen similarly in the West Highlands, Sloan Lake and LoHi – Lower (or east) Highlands –

The neighborhood around here will find more historic duplexes and frame home, but they are being bought up quickly.

Reason is that they are being replaced by this type of duplex –

Example of old next to the new –

These changes seem neat but are they are driving my aunts and uncles in the area crazy for the charm of what they knew is being replaced.

Early morning yoga –

Gotta be thin for this to be the entrance to your home –

Left over from Saturday night – the area has always had a little bit of grit as this is a popular street but overall a very safe neighborhood. Occasionally you will see someone who is trendy or wanting to live outside the norm.

My favorite new French Restaurant!

This use to be Dolly Madison and had the best Dreamsickles

Love the Pad Tai here!

I can remember dad taking me to the Oriental Theater for shows that cost $0.25 per person. Since the show were shown at least a year after major release at the modern and pricier theaters, reviews and plots were not remembered. I can recall on movie we all piled in and within 15 minutes mom had us marching out, the film was William Hurt and Kathleen Turner in ‘Body Heat’.

I hope these homes will last the transitions of old to modern, due to their charm and historic value. However, a number of the homes are small inside and may need more help then can be afford. For now, this is one of those neighborhoods that makes Denver unique and proud.

Hope you enjoyed the tour! Next up will be West Highlands and LoHi.
Denver Aztec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
You are the man!

Thank you! NW Denver is one of my favorite parts of town, one I don't get to much unfortunately.

I'm with your aunts and uncles on this one, the new modern homes are an eyesore IMO.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:20 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Awesome pix. While I'm a mod for 4-6 weeks, I'll get the index updated with all the photo threads.

s/Mike

Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 PM

119 posts, read 469,182 times
ha, I can almost see my backyard from some of your pics of the businesses on Tennyson St. I agree about Felix. Their brunch was great. Parisi is great also but always so packed. I love living in the area. Being so close to parks, lakes, restaurants & shopping is nice. Sunflower is on 38th a few blocks west of your pictures on Tennyson.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,694 times
Just goes to further my desire to return to Denver. Excellent thread.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:41 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,244 times
So fun to look at where I grew up! Thanks!
The pic where they were doing yoga, is where my elementary school was ( Alcott).
Tons of places are "used to be" places!
I grew up on 45th & Utica so, everything is familiar!
Seems strange that this area is such a "happening" area now!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:04 AM

275 posts, read 1,471,382 times
Great photos DA... I took the kids to the Lakeside Amusement park last summer. We went on a lot of the rides and it was fun... but I just want to caution anyone about the Lakeside Cyclone:

It is fun, but very tough on the back. I've been on many roller coasters including the cyclone in Coney Island and I think the Lakeside cyclone shakes you around and is harder on the back than any other I've ever been on. If you are under 40 should not be a problem... over 40, give it some serious thought first

Old 04-18-2009, 09:42 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,208 times
Awesome tour thanks! Brings back many good memories....and some of being bounced around on a wild rollercoaster.
Of course was ready to do it all over again albeit I was much younger then.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:43 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,862 times
Thank you for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
...I'm with your aunts and uncles on this one, the new modern homes are an eyesore IMO.
I have only see one or two of the modern that look appealing, but in LoHi. It seems like the non-bring historic homes that sat on a large lot are what get targeted for razing. The residents in the Sloan's Lake area put a halt to it a few years back by changing their zoning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Awesome pix. While I'm a mod for 4-6 weeks, I'll get the index updated with all the photo threads.s/Mike
Excellent! Thread reference helps when talking about an area. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamPacker View Post
ha, I can almost see my backyard from some of your pics of the businesses on Tennyson St. I agree about Felix. Their brunch was great. Parisi is great also but always so packed. I love living in the area. Being so close to parks, lakes, restaurants & shopping is nice. Sunflower is on 38th a few blocks west of your pictures on Tennyson.
You are lucky to live in this area. My friend who is in Paris 3 or 4 times a year said that Felix could easily fit right in to France and compete well with their restauants. Parisi is always packed but I have been please with their food as well. I could eventually add some pics of 38th but thought there were too many shots already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
So fun to look at where I grew up! Thanks!
The pic where they were doing yoga, is where my elementary school was ( Alcott). Tons of places are "used to be" places! I grew up on 45th & Utica so, everything is familiar! Seems strange that this area is such a "happening" area now!
I am with you, I never thought this area would have the appeal that it does. Sad that Alcott is just a big empty lot but the folks use it as a park now. I really miss Dolly Madison ice cream that was on 38th. Growing up where you did, you probably could hear the Lakeside Speedway and the coaster. I can recall hearing the Wild Cat at Elitches from my uncles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
Great photos DA... I took the kids to the Lakeside Amusement park last summer. We went on a lot of the rides and it was fun... but I just want to caution anyone about the Lakeside Cyclone:...It is fun, but very tough on the back. I've been on many roller coasters including the cyclone in Coney Island and I think the Lakeside cyclone shakes you around and is harder on the back than any other I've ever been on. If you are under 40 should not be a problem... over 40, give it some serious thought first
Good point MobyLL, it can jerk you around as the wood does not have that smooth sailing of the metal coasters. I rode it twice last summer and was fine but the Wild Chipmunk was a different story. I really felt my age when I got off that one. I use to wait in lines for what seemed like hours and ride this stuff endlessly. Now, being over 40, my aches seem endless after playing like a kid for a few hours.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,674 times
I still miss Chavez Mexican restaurant (on the corner of W38th and Xavier, if I remember) across from Elitch's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver