U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,879,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace21 View Post

It seems like there are some slightly more affordable places in Englewood/Greenwood Village, and these look like a 15 min commute...any reason I shouldn't be looking in these areas? No one seems to be mentioning them...
These areas would be more like a 30 minute or more commute to Fitzsimmons. I think that reason why no one is mentioning these areas to the south is because of your criteria to be near Denver Health, Fitzsimmons, Rose and the VA. In order to be within a 15 minute commute to all of those locations you'd have to stay somewhat central. If you just need to be a 15 minute commute from Fitzsimmons, other areas such as SE Aurora might be a better fit for you since you desire a more suburban location.

As far as Mayfair and Hale neighborhoods offering off street parking, that would depend on the place you rent. Some places will have it and others will not. The Mayfair and Hale neighborhoods are a mix of single family homes, multi-plex's and high rise apartments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 PM

6 posts, read 13,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
These areas would be more like a 30 minute or more commute to Fitzsimmons. I think that reason why no one is mentioning these areas to the south is because of your criteria to be near Denver Health, Fitzsimmons, Rose and the VA. In order to be within a 15 minute commute to all of those locations you'd have to stay somewhat central. If you just need to be a 15 minute commute from Fitzsimmons, other areas such as SE Aurora might be a better fit for you since you desire a more suburban location.

As far as Mayfair and Hale neighborhoods offering off street parking, that would depend on the place you rent. Some places will have it and others will not. The Mayfair and Hale neighborhoods are a mix of single family homes, multi-plex's and high rise apartments.
Maybe I shouldn't be trusting google maps quite so much, but it's telling me 14 miles/21 minutes to fitz from englewood, vs. 25 minutes from wash park, so I had assumed these areas were closer...is that not the case? Does anyone know of something that might give a more accurate commuting time than google?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 22,366,880 times
Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't be trusting google maps quite so much, but it's telling me 14 miles/21 minutes to fitz from englewood, vs. 25 minutes from wash park, so I had assumed these areas were closer...is that not the case? Does anyone know of something that might give a more accurate commuting time than google?
Are you talking about the actual small city of Englewood, which is centered around Hampden & Broadway? Or, as I'm guessing, are you referring to the south metro corridor, Denver Tech Center/ Greenwood Village/ Centennial/ Lone Tree, which for some bad reason many homes and businesses there use an "Englewood" mailing address even though it's nowhere near Englewood? Either way, Lowry would be your absolute best choice, being smack dab in the middle of where you need to commute to, but outside of the city of Denver, Aurora would actually make a lot more sense than either version of "Englewood."

Yodi is right about the traffic times. The times quoted for you on google maps shows what it would take with no traffic. Traffic on all the North-South streets in Denver is bad, especially Colorado Blvd, where several of the hospitals are.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks- I'll keep looking in Lowry! Anyone know of any good complexes or places to find listings for rentals? Craigslist is a bit scarce...

Old 04-22-2009, 03:42 PM

24,402 posts, read 45,278,830 times
Quote:
Thanks- I'll keep looking in Lowry! Anyone know of any good complexes or places to find listings for rentals? Craigslist is a bit scarce...
realtor.com rentals.com rent.com or any local realtor (I'm not one).

Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Just one other tip when you use those websites-- a lot of property managers lie or embellish about where their apartments are really located. For example I've seen ugly old apartments that are actually in Glendale (kind of a slummy county island city) advertised as "Cherry Creek." So make sure that something that shows up as "Lowry" really is Lowry. Did you check out the "Amli at Lowry" complex-- or was that the one that quoted you $1200 for a 1 bedroom?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Just one other tip when you use those websites-- a lot of property managers lie or embellish about where their apartments are really located. For example I've seen ugly old apartments that are actually in Glendale (kind of a slummy county island city) advertised as "Cherry Creek." So make sure that something that shows up as "Lowry" really is Lowry. Did you check out the "Amli at Lowry" complex-- or was that the one that quoted you $1200 for a 1 bedroom?
I just found that one today! Seems like reasonable pricing even for a 2bedroom. Any feedback on the complex?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I just found that one today! Seems like reasonable pricing even for a 2bedroom. Any feedback on the complex?
It's a fairly new complex, pretty nice looking, but HUGE. Absolutely monstrous, there are so many building units it's unbelievable-- when you drive in it keeps going on and on. I'd imagine they must have a lot of amenities. Amli apartments in general have a good reputation.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 PM

13,785 posts, read 28,167,101 times
Quote:
As far as Aurora, I've been told by friends who've lived in the area to stay far away,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Just stay away from Colfax (don't live any further north than Alameda) and you'll be fine.
Thank you sir, I appreciate this, as you know.

Quote:
It seems like there are some slightly more affordable places in Englewood/Greenwood Village, and these look like a 15 min commute...any reason I shouldn't be looking in these areas? No one seems to be mentioning them...
Englewood/GV are much longer than 15 minutes away.

Englewood (Hampden/Santa Fe) to Denver Health is about 20 minutes away in the middle of the night on a Wednesday. "Englewood" can refer to any place with the zip codes 80110, 80111, 80112, 80113, whereas the real Englewood is really only 80110, and part of 80113. Either Englewood, and either way, it's well over 20 minutes regularly, and more with traffic.

Denver neighborhoods Congress Park, Cheesman Park, Hale, Montclair, and South Park Hill are all good recommendations. Look in zips 80206, 80220.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 PM

11,654 posts, read 32,624,785 times
Colorado Community Land Trust has some affordable units at Lowry $150-$160k

But you must qualify, and attend orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver