Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 13,937 times

Advertisements

I've read tons of threads from people relocating to the area, but still haven't been able to find answers that really apply to me. I'm going to be relocating to the Denver area for work in a month or so, working at the University of Colorado medical center. I want to find a place to live that's within about a 20 minute commute of there as well as Denver Heath, the VA, and Rose Medical center; that's more suburban than urban; that's safe; that's affordable (preferably around 800/month, definitely less than 1000/month). People I've talked to have told me to look in Stapleton and Lowry, but those prices seem a little high. I've also been told to look in Capitol Hill, but I'd rather not be close to downtown. Anyone have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:43 PM

11,813 posts, read 34,268,187 times
You'll find the area just to the north of 9th & Colorado is affordable. Denver is a very suburban city. Rose, VA (which will move) is close to 9th & Colorado. Denver Health is at 6th & Speer (west) UC is at the Fitzsimmons campus east.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
The area around DU also has lots of apts. It would meet your criteria for distance and rents.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,157,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
You'll find the area just to the north of 9th & Colorado is affordable. Denver is a very suburban city. Rose, VA (which will move) is close to 9th & Colorado.
Yes, this area would meet all of your criteria. The name of these neighborhoods are Mayfair and Hale.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:56 PM

Thanks for replies! I'll start looking in some of these areas. I've read other places as well that Denver is a very suburban place, with lots of single family homes even close to downtown, so maybe somewhere within Denver city limits will work for me. My main concern is parking- having lived in a large East Coast city for the last 4 years, I never ever ever want to have to parallel park a car again. Will I be ok for offstreet parking in DU/Mayfair?

Edit: Google Maps says it's a 25 minute drive from DU to Fitzsimmons, more in traffic. Any areas that might be closer? Given that I'm working long hours I'm trying to put my commute at a max of 20 min even in traffic.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
My daughter has an off-street parking place for her car at her apt. complex near DU.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,223,264 times
Lowry or Stapleton would both be ideal locations for you, being new construction, suburban type developments, easy accessible to all the major hospitals. Are you completely sure that it's out of your affordability range, or are you just assuming?

In terms of actual suburbs, Aurora could work-- the Fitzsimmons campus is in Aurora, after all.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 AM

6,607 posts, read 9,155,980 times
How about my neighborhood -- Indian Creek? Only reason why I mention it is because it's fairly central to the places you mentioned and has apartment complexes, townhomes, and a few SF homes thrown in, most to all of which have dedicated off-street parking. Quiet neighborhood, not bad in terms of rent, low crime (you can check on the City and County of Denver's crime mapping site) and it has a suburban feel even though it's not far away from downtown and the 'popular' denver neighborhoods like cherry creek or wash park.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Lowry or Stapleton would both be ideal locations for you, being new construction, suburban type developments, easy accessible to all the major hospitals. Are you completely sure that it's out of your affordability range, or are you just assuming?

In terms of actual suburbs, Aurora could work-- the Fitzsimmons campus is in Aurora, after all.

From the places I've found in Lowry and Stapleton, most seem to be at least 1200/month for a one bedroom place...not to mention what it would be once you add in pet rent (a concept I really don't understand, we don't have that on the east coast!), washer/dryer rent, paying for a dedicated parking space, and gas/electric. As far as Aurora, I've been told by friends who've lived in the area to stay far away, at least until I've lived there long enough to know what areas are ok to live in.

It seems like there are some slightly more affordable places in Englewood/Greenwood Village, and these look like a 15 min commute...any reason I shouldn't be looking in these areas? No one seems to be mentioning them...

Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,223,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace21 View Post
From the places I've found in Lowry and Stapleton, most seem to be at least 1200/month for a one bedroom place...not to mention what it would be once you add in pet rent (a concept I really don't understand, we don't have that on the east coast!), washer/dryer rent, paying for a dedicated parking space, and gas/electric. As far as Aurora, I've been told by friends who've lived in the area to stay far away, at least until I've lived there long enough to know what areas are ok to live in.

It seems like there are some slightly more affordable places in Englewood/Greenwood Village, and these look like a 15 min commute...any reason I shouldn't be looking in these areas? No one seems to be mentioning them...
Quit listening to your friends, they have no clue what they're talking about. They're probably recirculating crap that in turn they've "heard" from someone else and have no real understanding of the urban geography of the area. 75% of Aurora is just fine. Just stay away from Colfax (don't live any further north than Alameda) and you'll be fine. If you live in Aurora, just don't live in the cheapest apartment you find-- find something middle of the road or better. There are some fairly new apartments by Alameda & Buckley that could be worth checking out. Tons of fairly decent looking complexes all over the city, just judge each one its own, visit multiple times during the day and see if it passes your personal "smell test." Which you would want to do no matter where you lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver