Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:09 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,366 times

Advertisements

I think it has to do more with the cost of living in that area then anything else. You can get much better deals in LoDo then anything close to Petco Park. Part of it is that it is new-ish but they also don't have a huge number of vacant wearhouses like LoDo and the Ballpark area had and still have. My co-workers in San Diego live an hour to two away from the office, this is one-way, only because that is where they could afford to buy what they wanted affordably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 PM

164 posts, read 596,043 times
I think that while maybe a super tall skyscraper isn't crucial, it should be a goal to design a building that gives the skyline some character. Quickly, off the top of your head, how many buildings stick in your head from the Denver skyline? Yep, just the Cash Register building!

There are many non-descript buildings making up the denver skyline, so it'd be great to have another couple that would enhance the city's identity.....then maybe it would have reason to quit referring to itself as a cow town (although I think this is so deeply ingrained in the psyche of the city it'll never change). The mountains shoulder too much of the load of defining this town's image; why not have something maybe reminiscent of a toned-down cowboy hat to top off one of these buildings? Or maybe one of those great shafts of light (like at the 9/11 site) except with more of a gold tone (gold rush association is the idea) at the top of one? Yeah, these are silly but at least something that'd stick in you mind MORE than the wacky stallion figure at the airport. Oh, and, the airport canopies are VERY nice---come to think of it, it makes me think of the Sydney Opera House. In Sydney. See what I mean?!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:23 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
It would be nice to see Denver with a new tallest. A signature building so to speak. I don't know about the cowboy hat idea though

Old 05-08-2009, 02:26 AM

795 posts, read 2,409,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icewater View Post
I think that while maybe a super tall skyscraper isn't crucial, it should be a goal to design a building that gives the skyline some character. Quickly, off the top of your head, how many buildings stick in your head from the Denver skyline? Yep, just the Cash Register building!

There are many non-descript buildings making up the denver skyline, so it'd be great to have another couple that would enhance the city's identity.....then maybe it would have reason to quit referring to itself as a cow town (although I think this is so deeply ingrained in the psyche of the city it'll never change). The mountains shoulder too much of the load of defining this town's image; why not have something maybe reminiscent of a toned-down cowboy hat to top off one of these buildings? Or maybe one of those great shafts of light (like at the 9/11 site) except with more of a gold tone (gold rush association is the idea) at the top of one? Yeah, these are silly but at least something that'd stick in you mind MORE than the wacky stallion figure at the airport. Oh, and, the airport canopies are VERY nice---come to think of it, it makes me think of the Sydney Opera House. In Sydney. See what I mean?!
Quest tower, and republic plaza, 1999 broadway come to mind. Perhaps lincoln park tower. The 4 seasons tower will make quite an impact as well being a 600ft plus spire tower. I don't think denver has a problem with identity in its skyline. Many people cant name too many buildings in SF or many other cities as well.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:04 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Republic Plaza is basically a square white box. Not very memorable. I think both the Spire and the 4 Seasons are both going to turn out fairly memorable, though, if the renderings are any guide.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Even with the "boxiness" of the Denver skyline, it is still a nice site to see. Imagine being at City Park looking west at sunset. Few cities can compare. And there's enough new work going on that will bring variety to the skyline.

You always hear people on this site talk about architectural variety, density, and size as criteria for a good skyline. If those truely are the hallmarks, then Denver has great size and density, and is beginning to improve the variety.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,531 times
I remember first coming to Denver on the plane and the building that stuck out the most was republic plaza. Its the tallest building in Denver and reflects the sunlight quite nicely IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver