Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:39 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times

Advertisements

BSL,

I am also contemplating a move to Denver some time down the road; and at first, I had the same concerns as you as I am from the Upper Midwest which arguably has the worst winters in the Lower 48.

After going to Denver a couple of times this past winter, I can assure you that they are not bad at all--and this past winter was allegedly the worst one they've had in the past 10-15 years. Back in the Midwest, we're sequestered to our homes and burrow in for the winter as the cloudy skies and -0 degree windgusts detered us from going outside. Colorado is totally different. Yes it can get cold, but not subzero cold. What's cool is that you see people outside all year round. You will see people sipping coffee on sidewalk cafe's in the middle of winter. You will see people strolling outside in the middle of winter. You will see the sun shining bright on most days during the winter. There is absolutely no sense of "cabin fever". Also, the low levels of humidity and the powerful sun (at a mile high, you're closer to the sun) will make 30 degrees feel downright warm. There were times when I was in Denver and it was sunny and 35, and I only felt the need to wear a long-sleeve shirt. There are cold and snowy days, but just wait 24-48 hours and the weather will change. One day it will be sixty and the next it will be 25--you never know. All I know is that there is absolutely no sense of "cabin fever" in Colorado compared to the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
BSL,

I am also contemplating a move to Denver some time down the road; and at first, I had the same concerns as you as I am from the Upper Midwest which arguably has the worst winters in the Lower 48.

After going to Denver a couple of times this past winter, I can assure you that they are not bad at all--and this past winter was allegedly the worst one they've had in the past 10-15 years. Back in the Midwest, we're sequestered to our homes and burrow in for the winter as the cloudy skies and -0 degree windgusts detered us from going outside. Colorado is totally different. Yes it can get cold, but not subzero cold. What's cool is that you see people outside all year round. You will see people sipping coffee on sidewalk cafe's in the middle of winter. You will see people strolling outside in the middle of winter. You will see the sun shining bright on most days during the winter. There is absolutely no sense of "cabin fever". Also, the low levels of humidity and the powerful sun (at a mile high, you're closer to the sun) will make 30 degrees feel downright warm. There were times when I was in Denver and it was sunny and 35, and I only felt the need to wear a long-sleeve shirt. There are cold and snowy days, but just wait 24-48 hours and the weather will change. One day it will be sixty and the next it will be 25--you never know. All I know is that there is absolutely no sense of "cabin fever" in Colorado compared to the Midwest.
Thanks for a good response.

Where at in the upper midwest are you from? I am from Indiana next to Louisville. It definitly is not as bad here as it is even in Indianapolis (it seems like every time we go there it's always a little colder there) but then again this isn't exactly a nice winter either but I'm sure wherever you are from is worse. The thing I hate most about it is like you said it's gray and cloudy like for 4 months straight. Like not even exaggerating. I know around here and Ohio and other parts of this region the cloudy days sometimes outnumber the clear or partly cloudy days each year. I wish I could find something that has the numbers, it would definitly be close. If it's snowing it looks pretty nice I guess but the problem is it usually doesn't snow much around here it's just cloudy all of the time then all of the sudden you get a 2 foot blizzard like we had in I believe 04. We had something like 22 inches and there were a few towns about 30 miles north of here that had literally 28-30 inches and this is all within 24 hours. That was crazy but some snow is ok and I'm sure it looks beautiful in CO with the rocky mountains covered in snow. When it does snow here it's usually melted within a day or two but sometimes it will be a slush type stuff on the road and it will freeze overnight and make the roads basically a hockey rink.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:38 PM

131 posts, read 492,763 times
Lets put it this way. I get colder in the winters in Atlanta, GA than I do in Denver, CO. Its all about:
1. humidity in the air &
2. sunshine.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCruiser View Post
Lets put it this way. I get colder in the winters in Atlanta, GA than I do in Denver, CO. Its all about:
1. humidity in the air &
2. sunshine.
Really, wow... I think Dallas has similar winters as ATL.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:28 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCruiser View Post
1. humidity in the air &
2. sunshine.
Yup. I can honestly say that 50 degrees here in Atlanta feels a lot colder than 40 and sunny in Denver. That "damp cold" is a mother!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:29 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
Really, wow... I think Dallas has similar winters as ATL.
Well, that may be true in mid-winter, but our winters certainly last a lot longer than either Atlanta or Dallas, and our winter precip is more likely to be snow than cold rain or mix.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
It can't be too cold there in winter, you have a naturalist resort just outside of town open 365 days a year. Many such resorts in 'winter' locales close for the off season.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:24 PM

112 posts, read 615,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I'm just trying to figure out if I could tolorate Denver or not. The winters here are usually cold, gray, and gloomy and you feel like not doing anything other than sit on your couch. The cloudy days around here literally outnumber the sunny or even partly cloudy days. I don't think I'm really much of a winter person and I guess I'm basically just wanting to eliminate Denver as a choice to relocate to. I'm almost set on the Dallas area but I always have people tell me it's not a nice place to live... too hot, high crime, ugly as far as scenery... When I visited I found it to be great so I don't know if I should just quit listening to other people or if there's something I'm missing about it. It had everything I want in a city (outside of mountains which I can live without) and while the weather obviously isn't perfect, it seems like it suits me best. I'm from the midwest/south I guess so I'm used to the humidity and it does get extremely hot here at times and I seem to do fine with it. I like how the winter in Dallas is short and not at all extreme in any way.
I live in Indy, and I have to disgaree about the quick disapparence of the snow in the winter. If we get over 8" of snow and it stays cloudy after the snowfall, which it usually does, it takes at least a week for all of the snow to melt. Last winter we got about 12" of snow and my car was trapped in its parking spot outside of my townhouse for 4 days because the snow didn't melt a bit and the city did not plow my street...and I live in the city!

Until reading this thread I had no idea how much humidity makes it seem colder, although it makes sense. I originally from Cincinnati, and it has similar winters to Indy, although with much less wind since Indy so freaking flat! And I always thought that Denver winters are worse than midwest winters, but maybe not. I think what makes it so cold in the midwest is the wind. A lot of times the temperature will be 35 degress, but the with the wind chill factored in, it feels like 20 degree. Plus your face freezes off from the wind and your eyes start to water. In general, is Denver a windy city? Does it get more windy in the winter?

Old 08-24-2007, 12:38 PM

616 posts, read 3,005,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
In general, is Denver a windy city? Does it get more windy in the winter?
I would not say so. We tend to get more wind in the spring and summer than the winter. I hear more people compain about wind in CO Springs. Some areas along the foothills can get some pretty good gusts. Enough to tip an unloaded semi w/trailer on its side. But, that is not that frequent of an occurrence.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchinggirl View Post
I'm originally from Denver, and have lived in SoFla for the last 3 1/2 years. My husband is originally from Miami, and we are moving back to Denver this fall. He has spent several visits in CO during winter (some VERY, VERY cold), and is concerned more about the dry than the cold. You'll definitely acclimate to the cold (which isn't severe in Denver - a few days each winter it'll get coldcold), but the dry will be a challenge. Get a whole house humidifier, and be patient. Honestly, 50 degrees in Denver is much more tolerable than 50 degrees (when we do get it) in SoFla.
You'll do great! (Can you copy my husband on this thread?!)
What kind of problems are there with the dryness and lack of humidity? I'm curious what to expect in a non-humid climate. Does this cause any health issues? Skin/allergies/lungs/throat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver