Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:18 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,130 times

Advertisements

I don't know that the low humidity can cause health problems, though it can aggravate some existing problems. Mainly you notice it with dry skin, waking up with dry mouth (if your sinuses are stuffed up), and needing to drink more water to stay hydrated. Also, I tend to get more nose bleeds here than when I lived in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
What kind of problems are there with the dryness and lack of humidity? I'm curious what to expect in a non-humid climate. Does this cause any health issues? Skin/allergies/lungs/throat?
I moved to near Monument, CO from Southern California. Other than the extra huffing and puffing from climbing several flights of stairs (we live at 7300 ft) I have noticed no physiological problems. I always put lotion on my face after I shave anyway and I've always done that. Sometimes I put lotion on my legs when wearing shorts...but I shower three times a day so I probably would have dry skin in Panama.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:27 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
I don't know that the low humidity can cause health problems, though it can aggravate some existing problems. Mainly you notice it with dry skin, waking up with dry mouth (if your sinuses are stuffed up), and needing to drink more water to stay hydrated. Also, I tend to get more nose bleeds here than when I lived in San Diego.
Running a vaporizer (warm moist air) or humidifier (cool moist air) at night while you sleep can help with this. Friend of mine used to put a metal bowl of water with eucalyptus leaves in it on top of one of her radiators (old building), to help "steam" the air. Of course, if you have pets, that won't work

Old 08-25-2007, 01:42 AM

458 posts, read 2,774,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
I live in Indy, and I have to disgaree about the quick disapparence of the snow in the winter. If we get over 8" of snow and it stays cloudy after the snowfall, which it usually does, it takes at least a week for all of the snow to melt. Last winter we got about 12" of snow and my car was trapped in its parking spot outside of my townhouse for 4 days because the snow didn't melt a bit and the city did not plow my street...and I live in the city!

Until reading this thread I had no idea how much humidity makes it seem colder, although it makes sense. I originally from Cincinnati, and it has similar winters to Indy, although with much less wind since Indy so freaking flat! And I always thought that Denver winters are worse than midwest winters, but maybe not. I think what makes it so cold in the midwest is the wind. A lot of times the temperature will be 35 degress, but the with the wind chill factored in, it feels like 20 degree. Plus your face freezes off from the wind and your eyes start to water. In general, is Denver a windy city? Does it get more windy in the winter?
I am in Southern Ind. literally next to Louisville maybe 5 minute drive (New Albany, IN) and I'd say you are probably right but the snow does usually melt within a day or 2 here. We go to Indy usually at least once a year typically in the winter time to see a Pacers game every once in awhile and it typically is noticably colder there than it is here. I'd say your guys winters are a little worse than here. Sometimes it does snow and stays around for awhile but it seems like most of the time it is gone within a couple of days at the latest. That was one thing I always hated when I was a young kid is when it would snow and having fun playing in it and then it would be gone soon after. Also I can never forget when in December of 04 I believe, we got 22 inches of snow and it was completely gone within 2-3 days... You would have never believed there was just almost 2 feet of snow on the ground earlier in that week.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:56 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times
Does Denver have better weather than Philly and the east coast? I don't like very cold weather, but having so many sunny days would be nice. Looks like temps in Denver get colder but the east coast has a lot more precipitation and humidity.

I loved Indiana and met the nicest people when I visited there, but that state really does have awful weather. I would probably move to the midwest if it weren't for the winter.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 PM

227 posts, read 1,008,799 times
The difference between Denver winter and "back east" winter is SUN SUN SUN! It can be 25 degrees out with bright sunshine that will make you a little warm in a big overcoat. In Philly you probably won't get too many 50 and 60 degree days mixed in winter. Here, you get quite a few.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:30 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
I was born and raised in Massachusetts and spent 6 years in Baltimore and 2 years in Ohio and the winters out here are by far easier to handle than Back East.

The constant sun makes such a big difference.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:43 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I was born and raised in Massachusetts and spent 6 years in Baltimore and 2 years in Ohio and the winters out here are by far easier to handle than Back East.

The constant sun makes such a big difference.
It's also the lower humidity. I went to Philly last January and thought I was going to freeze to death - the humid cold really got to me.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
These weatherbug websites compute chill factor and heat index factoring things like wind and humidity:

http://weather.weatherbug.com/CO/Den...=1&zcode=z6286

Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,400 times
I don't have a problem with any cold, I'm not sure what the process is with humidity, I always just thought there are more people in the east therefore more people to complain about it. On one end, the fact that it's humid means the temperature is higher, and theres higher energy in the air, on the other hand, some of that water might condense on you and then you get cold. Maybe it's just the lower solar insolation reaching the surface thats the problem 'back east' where I've never been. I stick with 'they complain more' just because it's nice to picture different accents whining about cold. cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver