Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:28 PM

106 posts, read 563,431 times

Advertisements

I have posted before and we LOVE the thought about Colorado an are 90 percent sure of the move from Florida. Our only reservation is the shock of the cold. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
You can look at the stats on www.accuweather.com and see the average highs and lows for each month. On some webistes, you can get even more detailed weather data. I personally do not think the winter here is as severe as in Illinois, and it is not as dreary as Pittsburgh's. There are weeks of sunny, dry weather between the snowstorms.

Still, it can snow any time from Sept through May in metro Denver and any month of the year in the mtns. Below zero days are not uncommon, and usually happen every winter. You can decide for yourself.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
LisaLisa-
Can't really tell your comfort level with cold. We moved to CO 3 yrs ago from San Diego. For me it's the wind that will make the difference in comfort. I've been fine walking the dog at 5 degrees with no wind. If the wind is blowing, it's not fun or safe. Winters here are not as bad as most people in CA think. We have lived thru 3 and everyone tells me the last one was the worst in years. I kinda enjoy the snow. Our 6 yr old does for sure .The rest of the year is great . Coming from FL you will enjoy the lack of humidity. If you've been in FL long you will probably have get a whole lot of new winter stuff.
If you are worried about winter temps, I would suggest a winter visit.
I have lived in AZ where the summer temps reached 128 and didn't really mind that either .
PaulPaul

Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 PM

530 posts, read 2,625,162 times
We moved to Colorado last year from New Orleans. We have 2 kids 13 and 11 and we all loved being here this winter. It's not what you might think. Denver is not up in the mountains like you see on the news. Sure it gets cold, but it is so nice to have the sun out most of the time with no humidity. You can't even imagine what the leaves look like in Fall. We love the seasons and the cool weather is so refreshing. Don't let it deter you, you will love Colorado.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:50 AM

226 posts, read 1,369,649 times
I have several clients who have moved here from Florida, Arizona, Texas and California and none of them have complained about the cold or snow. And all of them are happy they made the move.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
The shock of the cold is certainly too much for some. I think that the publicity that Colorado gets makes us sound ten times harsher than we really are (at least on the front range), so most people when they move here remark that they've been pleasantly surprised at our winters.

However, I think that if you're not at least a little bit excited about the possibility of seeing some snow in the winter, this may not be your place. Although, if you're really looking to avoid snow, there's only a small handful of states without it, and you're already in one of them.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:32 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
LisaLisa, where in Florida are you from? I've been to Jacksonville when it was 20 and it was darn right cold. I had to use my drivers license to scrape the ice off the windshield because who has ice scrapers out there?

Now, my brothers out in Bradenton think that 40 is cold, and out there, I'm sure it is.

If you're from Florida, you're probably gonna have a hard time with our dryness.

It's 34 and drizzling today and it's kind of miserable to be outside. You almost need a coat.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:33 PM

111 posts, read 610,337 times
Like all types of weather, you get used to it.

For me, in early winter, 40 degrees feels like its freezing. A couple weeks later, as my blood thickens, I dont wear a coat unless its less than 20 degrees.

Its been nice for a few weeks now, and today is 30s or 40s. Im f-f-f-ffreezing again! I cant feel my toes. Oh, maybe I should turn the heater back on.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:34 AM

53 posts, read 491,963 times
We just got here. We have been here 4 weeks now.

We moved from Dubai in the Middle East. IE HOT DESERT! It was 120 on a regular basis in the summer, relatively high humdity. (not as bad as houston Humidity or Florida I would imagine, but not low like here) The coldest it got in Dubai over the winter was 50 ish.....

Since arriving in Denver, it was nice and in the 70's for a week or so, then it has been up and down. We have had snow 3 times since we arrived... We went skiing right after we got here as well, so up to the mountains where it can be really cold.

Today it snowed a few inches this morning and the sun is starting to come out and the snow is already melting off the streets. I have always liked snow, and am an avid snow skier, so snow to me is something I wanted in a place to live.. not something to be avoided.

Now being here only a month means we missed the coldest weather this year, but we did come from a place hotter than Florida. We are adjusting fine. However my mother in law came and stayed with us for 3 weeks to see her grandkids, and she complained about the cold... and it wasn't cold (in my opinion) she is from Houston. So it all depends on your own internal thermometer...

Remember to dress different and you will be fine. Layers are your friend. Gloves and Hats should not be overlooked.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 PM

106 posts, read 563,431 times
Well, We live in Sarasota now. I would love seeing and living in the snow. So, I think
The change of seasons would be awesome and I think my son and my Jack Russell would have a load of fun. I am sick of Florida and the freakin humidity. Colorado TAKE ME AWAY..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver