Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:21 PM

171 posts, read 581,915 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody!
After looking at Sacramento, Portland, Denver, and Colorado Springs, my wife and I have decided to uproot our live-long Los Angeles roots and move to Denver. We met with an agent last weekend and she took us around to various places in the city (namely, Stapleton, Littleton, Columbine, and Highlands Ranch). Parts of Littleton and Columbine Valley really seemed to fit us well. But before we go and identify a specific house though, I told my wife that we needed to get this forum’s perspective!

A little about us – we’re both in our late 20’s, both in the Financial Services field (accountants), fiscally conservative but socially liberal, and grads of UC Berkeley. We’re Easter/Xmas Catholics, like to eat good food, love to exercise/run on trails, and plan on having kids within the next 2 years.

Questions:
1) Like I said, we liked Columbine Valley and Littleton the most. Are there any other parts/suburbs of Denver that you would recommend us look at if we like those areas (does not have to be in the southern portion of the city)? More specifically, we were hoping for a bit more of a woodsy feel….and we didn’t find that in any part of the city (moreso in Colo Springs, for example). Budget is up to $400K.

2) What are the downsides of living in Littleton? Commute?

3) Do light rail station parking lots fill up M-F? If so, when are they full by in the morning?

4) Are the schools in that area nice?

5) Are neighbors normally friendly in these suburbs? We are going to move without knowing a single soul in Denver….it would be nice to have pleasant/outgoing neighbors so we aren’t so lonely.

6) Are there any So Cal transplants here with any advice?

Of course, you don’t have to answer all these questions. We’re just grateful for any info that y’all can provide.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
I think the Columbine Valley is a great place to live. Now, I would like to make it clear--most of it is not in Littleton. Yes, it uses the Littleton address but it is actually in unincorporated Jefferson County. Littetons end toward the west, at Platte Canyon. There is a small part that is in Littleton West of Platte Canyon, on the North along West Bowles. However, Columbine High School is located in unicorporated Jefferson County near Clement Park.

It is a good area because there are numerous paths along the South Platte that go to large water bodies to the south near Mineral, right the Chatfield Reservoir. I have biked all this area and it has a extensive natural preserve. In addition, you are west of the Large Clement Park which has a Branch of the Jeffco Library. Across Wadsworth on Bowles is the Southwest Mall and good associated shopping nearby.

Another advantage to this area, you are near the rail Stations at old town Littleton and Mineral. You can easily get there by feeder buses, walking or biking; depending on your area. There has been some changes in the use of the commuter rail parking, as there is now restrictions and cost associated with some parking. It is explained at http://www.rtd-denver.com/AlphabeticalList.shtml
This should help to reduce the demand for the parking.

Livecontent

Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
I don't have any specific info to give you, but I wanted to thank you for posting a well thought out and informative post. So many people post such generic questions and offer no info about themselves, it is impossible to answer. We moved from central CA to Highlands Ranch 2 years ago and love it! Good luck with your move.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 PM

338 posts, read 320,020 times
We moved from Nashville TN to the Columbine Valley area about 4 months ago----and we love it here! My answer to your questions:

1) I can't really recommend another part of Denver at this time. When we flew out here as a family to decide on an area to live, Littleton was the first place we looked. After seeing it we knew it would be a perfect fit for our family and didn't want to look anywhere else.

2) The commute can be a downside to living here, however that just depends on where your place of work is located. If you want to go downtown for the entertainment-the light rail is very convenient. We use it all the time.

3) Yes, the parking for light rail fills up M-F, they do have an overflow parking spot that is available.

4) JEFFCO Public Schools - Home Page I feel the schools are great; however I'm comparing it to the failing school district my kids were attending in Nashville. Since my kids are middle school age, I did my reasearch as to the HS I wanted them to attend and we moved into that area.

5) We live in an apartment and haven't met those around us. Yet everyone that I have met out in the community(ie the library, schools, shopping) have been really nice.

6) Originally from Indiana with a few years stint in Tennessee; don't have any advice on this one

Overall, I would say our move to this area has been a positive experience for my family.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM

171 posts, read 581,915 times
livecontent - Thank you for the information about the difference between Littleton and Columbine Valley. It will certainly save us from some embarrassment in the future, as I know some of these city distinctions really mean alot to people. Thank you also for the link to the parking situation. Thats some great info....

rkb - thanks! :-)

ms ball - Thanks for taking time to answer all of my questions. You said overall the move has been a positive for your family....is there anything besides the traffic that you either didnt like or found surprising?

I spoke with our agent last night, and she recommended we check out the Ken Caryl area as well as Littleton and Columbine Valley. She wanted us to check out Aurora, but I think thats just too far out there. I'm torn on Highlands Ranch.....it almost seems a bit too perfect/new/planned. We seem to like 1990's homes that have bigger lots than the new builds.

Both of us have absolutely zero winter driving experience.....nor have either of us ever lived in snow (we've lived in CA our entire lives). Has anybody had a hard time with that transition?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 AM

338 posts, read 320,020 times
ucbedge:

There are things that I have found to be different--not in a bad way, just different for me. 1) the dry air. I was surprised at how it makes my skin so very dry. I started using almond oil, and it has worked wonders! 2) the brightness of the sun. probably sounds strange, yet being in the higher altitude the sun seems very different to me. 3) dogs. there are a lot of people with dogs here. I've never lived in a place where this many people have dogs. 4) HOA's. again, I've never lived in an area with so many HOA's. However I am leaning towards the positive side of them. coming from a non-HOA neighborhood i feel they help to make for a clean/tidy neighborhood.

I honestly haven't found anything that I haven't liked yet. After living in "the south", I am finding CO to be more like where/how I grew up in IN. I can't believe we've been here only 4 months. I've felt more "at home" here than I ever did in my time in nashville. Jeffco is definitely a family friendly area. There are trails and parks everywhere--perfect for biking and walking!
Quote:
I'm torn on Highlands Ranch.....it almost seems a bit too perfect/new/planned. We seem to like 1990's homes that have bigger lots than the new builds.
We went down there a couple of weekends ago....I'm on the same page with you on that one.

As I said in my revious post, High School was very important to me. We were also thinking about the Aurora area for Cherry Creek HS. but visited Columbine Valley area first and knew this was where I wanted to live, we didn't even it make over there to look. After making the move out here--I have no regrets on that.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:33 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,010 times
Be careful not to confuse what is commonly referred to as the "Columbine" area with "Columbine Valley". Columbine Valley is a very affluent country club resort located on the east side of Platte Canyon Rd. It is an incorporated town. Otherwise the description of Columbine including being unincorporated with a Littleton address is good.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,275 times
Quote:
2) What are the downsides of living in Littleton? Commute?

Commute, things to do -- and this will of course offend some people -- but the people who tend to live there.

Quote:
She wanted us to check out Aurora, but I think thats just too far out there.
And Littleton isn't?

I am assuming here you are referring to SE Aurora (land of foclosures) -- it really isn't any further away than Littleton.

If you want woodsy check out parts of Lakewood or even older sections of Denver proper, The Highlands, Sloans Lake, Cheeseman Park, City Park, Congress Park, Mayfair, South Park Hill.

You are giving up a lot in my view to live so far from the city, especially at your age. Visit Denver proper before you cross it off; it is an uncommon city with a lot to offer.

Also curious how Sacramento got on your short list -- it seems like the odd one out there by a long shot. Cheap housing right now though.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
I have been through the Columbine Valley numerous times over the years, as it was on my favorite auto route, when I commuting from Arvada to my job in Inverness Park. I always like to take the side roads; no highways for me. After work, I liked to stop and bike along the Platte Parks along Mineral.

As I said, it my previous posts,it has many advantages because of the parks and the public transit. But SteveinDenver comment about "things to do"---there is much, because you have the whole commercial area of shops, restaurants in South Jefferson County nearby. You have Old Town Littleton and you can easily grab the rail at Mineral, or Littleton for a quick trip into the city.

I want to thank ChiliCheeseFries for pointing out that there is a small municipality of Columbine Valley which surrounds the country club. I totally forgot about that little known fact. It only ads to the exclusivity of the Columbine Valley but there are homes for all economic levels.

Livecontent

Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 19,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
[/font]
Commute, things to do -- and this will of course offend some people -- but the people who tend to live there.
Steve - What do you mean by that? What kind of people live there?

I'm in a similar situation, late 20's (but with kids), looking at moving to the Denver area. I'm just curious. The part that we looked at earlier seemed to be dominated by retirees who have lived there their whole life. I could see it attracting younger people with kids because it is family friendly, has a cool old town area, has access to bike trails and transit, and is established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver