Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo24 View Post
We are moving from SoCal in July, How do you like it so far? Are Tums part of your life now?
Not at all (unless I eat greasy hot wings for dinner, as I did last night). In fact, I've been sleeping better than I have in years. I'm still trying to unpack and get my literal house in order, so I haven't been out much, but I really like what I've seen so far. The first thing I had to do was slow down while driving. I'm no Speed Racer, but the pace of traffic is noticeably slower here. I'm thinking that might be a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:26 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,680 times
Where are you coming from? Salt Lake City
Why are you moving to Denver? Family nearby, need a change, feel comfortable in CO, been going steadily for the past 6 years, now it's time to just move!
Do you have a job lined up, or are you taking the plunge? hoping to get something temporary, fingers are crossed, but I'm taking a plunge with my job, will quit here in August.
Anything else-Yeah, I love Colorado, been there a bunch of times, it just feels like home now, even though I'm from Tex. Feels more like home then SLC ever did.

Spending another week in mid June there, can't wait!!

See all you transplants soon!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:28 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Not at all (unless I eat greasy hot wings for dinner, as I did last night). In fact, I've been sleeping better than I have in years. I'm still trying to unpack and get my literal house in order, so I haven't been out much, but I really like what I've seen so far. The first thing I had to do was slow down while driving. I'm no Speed Racer, but the pace of traffic is noticeably slower here. I'm thinking that might be a good thing.
I got a speeding ticket (first in over a decade) about a week after arriving in Denver. I was doing 41 on a 4 lane (2 in each direction) street with a median. I thought I must have something wrong with my car when he pulled me over, because I didn't think I could have been speeding. When the cop told me the limit was 30, I couldn't believe it! Cost me $110, plus probably another $300 in increased insurance premiums over the next 3 years. Ticket is finally off my record, insurance went down. What a scam.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I got a speeding ticket (first in over a decade) about a week after arriving in Denver. I was doing 41 on a 4 lane (2 in each direction) street with a median. I thought I must have something wrong with my car when he pulled me over, because I didn't think I could have been speeding. When the cop told me the limit was 30, I couldn't believe it! Cost me $110, plus probably another $300 in increased insurance premiums over the next 3 years. Ticket is finally off my record, insurance went down. What a scam.
Is there traffic school here?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 AM

27 posts, read 56,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Yes, I do like the slower pace as far as driving, people that come to SoCal for the first time think that we are crazy here the way we drive. I think so too even though I am not a speed racer either.
How do you like CO so far?

Old 05-23-2009, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,388 times
We moved here almost a year ago from LA. Best decision we ever made. I'm still surprised at how many other So. Cal "refugees" there are in Denver.

It's true about traffic speed, and I'm still not used to it. Speed limits are strictly adhered to, so I have to consciously watch the speedometer all the time; it feels like I'm just crawling along the road. Denverians are exceedingly polite drivers, and I try to respond in kind.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 22,195 times
My husband and I are moving to Denver from Tallahassee, Florida in August.
I was accepted to a doctoral program at D.U. with full funding and a teaching assistantship, so I do have a job of sorts. My husband is starting his search in the environmental/computer science fields. Hopefully he can find something before we get out there.
We also own a small gym in Tallahassee and hope to start something similar in Denver. Our gym is a tiny, underground strength/conditioning training facility for athletes, specifically runners, triathletes, MMA fighters, grapplers and sprinters. We are hoping that by starting our gym in Denver, we can meet people with similar interests. It has worked well for us in Tally.
As you can tell by my screen name, I cannot wait to be in Denver. Hopefully I can adjust quickly to the altitute!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,104 times
We are moving in August, I'm originally from AZ but we have lived in northern California for the last 3 years. It's just way too expensive here for what we have. (1br apt, older place with a small deck, 45 min from sf(where I work) $1,500) Rediculous! We are excited to get a house out there and finally have a yard and garden. I am lucky enough to be able to transfer to our Denver office, but my boyfriend will be on the hunt for work. He will also be in school though so it will be less important. We are doing everything we can though to save! Extra money never hurt anybody! Good Luck everyone!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 PM

21 posts, read 52,810 times
Hi everyone, had to respond to this thread. I am originally from Syracuse NY & my husband is from Panhandle of Florida. We ended up in Denver (Parker actually) for 6 years. Decided we wanted to be closer to family. Moved to Florida. So pretty but didn't take the sting of no jobs away! Left and went to south Florida. Hated it. Realized we liked to go out for hikes and a view more than we realized. Left to move to Philly to be close to other family. Hated it! Besides the traffic, even worst drivers than the 85+ year olds in Florida and the gray sky, couldn't get over the nuke towers ruining the pretty view. Moved back to CO last week.

It is SOOOOO good to be home! We definately will appreciate the city (we didn't come downtown that much before) Traffic is a breeze compared to PA and the weather is much easier than south Florida. Now I just have to get the kids to believe that there are no alligators in the water like in South Florida. Hope y'all like it as much as we did/do!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty289 View Post
Hi everyone, had to respond to this thread. I am originally from Syracuse NY & my husband is from Panhandle of Florida. We ended up in Denver (Parker actually) for 6 years. Decided we wanted to be closer to family. Moved to Florida. So pretty but didn't take the sting of no jobs away! Left and went to south Florida. Hated it. Realized we liked to go out for hikes and a view more than we realized. Left to move to Philly to be close to other family. Hated it! Besides the traffic, even worst drivers than the 85+ year olds in Florida and the gray sky, couldn't get over the nuke towers ruining the pretty view. Moved back to CO last week.

It is SOOOOO good to be home! We definately will appreciate the city (we didn't come downtown that much before) Traffic is a breeze compared to PA and the weather is much easier than south Florida. Now I just have to get the kids to believe that there are no alligators in the water like in South Florida. Hope y'all like it as much as we did/do!
Wow! That's quite an adventure. I lived in Philly for a few years, and I understand what you mean about the gray sky. It wears on you, doesn't it? Welcome back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver