Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 PM

30 posts, read 90,921 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Castle Rock but want to make sure there are ample opportunities for our daughter to get into college. She currently has a 3.5 GPA. We are currently in CA and have a lot of college options, including JC's, CSU, UC and other private choices.

How hard will it be for her to get accepted to a major university in the Denver area? Are there viable community college options near Castle Rock? The last thing we want to do is move to a state that limits our daughters chances for higher education.

Any insight appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 05:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
what grade is this kid in?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Denver-area options are:

University of Colorado - Boulder

University of Colorado - Denver

Metro State College (Denver)

University of Denver (private, historically Methodist)

Regis University (private, Catholic, Denver)

Colorado Christian University (Non-denominational Christian, Lakewood?)

Others fairly close are:

Colorado State University (Ft. Collins)

University of Colorado - Colorado Springs

Colorado College (private, Colorado Springs)

There is an extensive community college system in the metro area, also in southern Colorado (COS)

Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Katiana's list is fairly complete, but I will also add the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, a public college specializing in engineering and sciences. Probably the best school in in the region (if not the country) for many of its disciplines.

As for your daughter's ability to be accepted in Colorado Colleges and Universities, I'm sure your daughter will find acceptance at one of the above mentioned universities if she continues to keep her grades up.

I will point out that, compared to California, at least, in-state tuition at Colorado universities is not cheap, and out of state can be very high. There also are limited opportunities for merit-based scholarships at most colleges here (we don't have a HOPE scholarship program like some other states). This is because Colorado tends to fund higher ed less generously than other states do. I think, personally, that the quality of education here is generally high, but because of the low funding you will pay for it.

All the above mentioned colleges have tuition information posted prominently on each of their web sites, so I'd encourage you to comparison shop.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 AM

30 posts, read 90,921 times
Thanks guys!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 AM

You're welcome. It's funny I forgot CSM b/c my good friend has three sons who went there. tfox is right about there being few merit scholarships at the CO state schools. The private schools, of course, have a different fin. aid system. Loans are also available.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Katiana's list is fairly complete, but I will also add the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, a public college specializing in engineering and sciences. Probably the best school in in the region (if not the country) for many of its disciplines.
My daughter just went through the college application process for engineering. CSM invited her to do their streamlined, fee-free application based on her scores, so she did. I'm sure it's a fine school, and not to belittle it, but CSM is far from being in the top tier of engineering schools on the national level.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
My daughter just went through the college application process for engineering. CSM invited her to do their streamlined, fee-free application based on her scores, so she did. I'm sure it's a fine school, and not to belittle it, but CSM is far from being in the top tier of engineering schools on the national level.
Well, rankings can be subjective, but in the geosciences that are its speciality it is certainly among the best. Outside of geosciences, it's probably not among the top nationally, though arguably it is the best engineering college in Colorado (though both CU and CSU are both respectable).

Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Well, rankings can be subjective, but in the geosciences that are its speciality it is certainly among the best. Outside of geosciences, it's probably not among the top nationally, though arguably it is the best engineering college in Colorado (though both CU and CSU are both respectable).
No disagreement here, tfox. I based my comment not so much on rankings, but more so on the competitiveness of admission (test scores, grades, etc.)

Old 05-08-2009, 08:23 AM

I think CU might be as good if not better. The Nobel Prize winning physicists are there (physics being a good part of engineering education), and you do get exposed to a broader array of ideas at CU.

MY DAUGHTER IS GRADUATING FROM CU TODAY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver