Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 11:22 AM

57 posts, read 138,049 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

If you don’t want to hear our background story, skip to the question at the bottom of my post.

My girlfriend and I will be moving to Denver in February 2010...probably without jobs. *GHASP*

We are in our mid 20's and will be graduating college in December '09 (I will have an M.S. in Technology with concentrations in Project Management and Instructional Design; My girlfriend will have a B.S. in Communication w/ minor in Biology).

I will be looking for work in entry-level Project Management (all fields, including IT) or Training and Development/Instructional Design. I do have some sales experience, but that is not first on my list. My girlfriend will be looking for an outside sales position (prefers but not restricted to pharmaceutical sales). We both have some but not a lot of professional experience.

We will be bringing $4000 cash, two cars fully paid for full of our stuff towing a UHaul trailer, a 20lb well behaved dog, a nice investment portfolio (for my age ), and good attitudes.

I know you all are thinking "Oh my, moving without jobs in THIS economy." Well we both love Denver and would rather be unemployed there than the Midwest. Additionally, we feel it would be MUCH easier and cost effective to live in Denver and find jobs rather than try to find them prior to moving. Both her and I are extremely confident in ourselves and will do whatever it takes to find work.

QUESTION: Prior to moving we will have to set up housing. Do landlords generally allow tenants without jobs? What if I were to pay rent 6 months up front?

Secondly, what is the IDEAL central Denver location for commuting throughout the metro areas that may offer employment? For our first place, we will be looking to rent a 1-2 bedroom for no more than $800/month. Is Capitol Hill easy to live in and central enough to commute to almost anywhere that could potentially offer us employment?

THANKS so much for listening. Please provide any comments/advice/suggestions that you deem fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 12:44 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,688,226 times
try somewhere near the Denver Tech Center(DTC) and radiate out from there. DTC is where you'll find the highest concentration of those jobs and there are nice areas around there that may or may not be in your range for a 1bed

Old 05-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
try somewhere near the Denver Tech Center(DTC) and radiate out from there. DTC is where you'll find the highest concentration of those jobs and there are nice areas around there that may or may not be in your range for a 1bed
We are looking to move closer to downtown for the time being, is DTC close?

How central is Capitol Hill to potential jobs? Lets say I got a job on the outskirts of Denver, what kind of commute could I be looking at from Capitol Hill? I realize many factors go into this but am looking for personal experiences and guesstimates.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,466,735 times
Avoid the DTC. Unless you end up working in that area there is nothing there that you are looking for, especially in your mid 20's. IT jobs are all over. You could end up working north, south, east or west.

I lived down there when I first moved to Denver. Looking back I cannot emphasize enough what a mistake it would have been to stay there and not move to Capitol Hill.

Cap Hill is a central commute to anywhere.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Avoid the DTC. Unless you end up working in that area there is nothing there that you are looking for, especially in your mid 20's. IT jobs are all over. You could end up working north, south, east or west.

I lived down there when I first moved to Denver. Looking back I cannot emphasize enough what a mistake it would have been to stay there and not move to Capitol Hill.

Cap Hill is a central commute to anywhere.
What kind of a commute would I be looking at if say I lived right on Cheeseman Park and had to commute to DTC in rush hour?

Old 05-18-2009, 03:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,466,735 times
The DTC is a big area. I can ride my bike from Cheeseman to the north end of the DTC in around 30 (a little less usually) minutes. Give or take it is going to be about the same in a car during rush hour.

Figure about the same to get up to Broomfield or at least the tech area up near the Flat Irons Mall, the same for Golden too.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,935,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncmaster414 View Post
What kind of a commute would I be looking at if say I lived right on Cheeseman Park and had to commute to DTC in rush hour?
The DTC (proper) starts at around Quincy and follows I-25 down to Orchard, extending east about half a mile. Commute from Cheesman Park -- depending on where exactly you lived you would head south on surface streets to I-25, and then following I-25 south to DTC -- maybe 30 minute commute in rush hour.

However, a lot of jobs that say "DTC" really are just generally in the southeast metro, which could go all the way as far south as Lincoln, roughly 10 miles south of the original DTC. That could add another 15-20 minutes to your commute in rush hour traffic.

There's a LOT of traffic heading south to DTC and then up north again every day; so don't assume that you're going against traffic.

The advantage of living somewhere Central is that you could take advantage of the other concentrations of jobs in Denver than just DTC.

If you do work in the DTC, and want to live somewhere close, I'd look somewhere around the Southmoor area (around Hampden and I-25) -- it's a nice, suburban area in the city of Denver, with the best proximity to the original DTC that you'll find anywhere, but also not too away from the rest of Metro Denver either. It's also very close to light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver