Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the post "citygirlnow"! I live Lodo and am planning to move to Evergreen. I would never in a million years have thought of it being noisy. I'm staying away from downtown Evergreen. Been looking near Hiwan Golf Club...that area seems really quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:31 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirlnow View Post
Evergreen is a beautiful place to live. Visually. I lived there for 8 years and loved it! The people are wonderful and it has great community ties. If you move there, however, a few cautions: this is a very popular area for owners of extremely loud Harleys, whose main mission is to "be cool." I made the mistake of buying a home too close to "downtown." From April to almost November, the Harley noise made living in my home unbearable. There are two bars downtown, and this is where most of them frequent, often leaving at 1:00 in the morning. One police officer (mistakenly) told me they do nothing to enforce noise ordinances because they "support our bars." How sad (and illegal). Because of the numbers that drive up there, they literally passed by my house once every 45-60 seconds, from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and then the bar crowd. I finally had to move down the hill for my health and sanity. Selling my house was difficult, to say the least, and this was before the recession -- I suffered a huge economic loss. I now live nearer to downtown Denver, and it's so much quieter than the beautiful mountains of Evergreen. I've not regretted the move for a moment, and can actually open my windows to enjoy spring air. Evergreen is still visually beautiful and the people still have strong community ties. If you want to actually hear a mountain stream or a bird sing or feel the sweet spring air, though, living in Evergreen is not the place. Unless you live far away from downtown. Good luck in your search.
Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like the people that move near the airport and complain because of excessive jet noises(I live on the western slope, but am considering a move to the front range).

To the OP, performing your due diligence is the key here.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,547 times
robmypro -

did you ever move to Evergreen? we moved to Evergreen from the Boston in 2006 and have never had any regrets. My commute to Lakewood takes me about 40 minutes reliably and consistently and I live in South Evergreen (about 3 miles off Highway 73). My commute took longer when I drove the 11 miles from Stoneham, MA to the Fenway area in Boston. In the 3 winters we have been here I have had maybe a half dozen nasty snowy commutes. But I bought a Jeep when we moved here which has served me well on those very snowy days.

Evergreen is a wonderful place. Friendly people, a fun downtown, and amazing hiking all at our doorstep. I do imagine living in downtown Evergreen can be loud, but I am certain it also has it's charm. It's all been worth the tradeoff for us. After 3 years I still wake up each day, look at Mt Evans and think how lucky I am to be here. Occasionally I yearn for the city and then Denver is only 45 minutes away.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:32 PM

davieskathy-

Nice to read you like Evergreen so much. I'm looking at places there right now. I love it up there!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 PM

299 posts, read 712,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I moved to Denver 6 years ago from SoCal and you will love it here! I bought a loft in Lodo (downtown) 5 years ago and it's great but I really think Evergreen is the BEST place you could possibly choose to live. It's sort of like the Topanga of Denver if your familiar with LA...30-45 min commute to downtown and it feels like you are in the wilderness. It's also got restaurants, a rec center, beautiful lake, 2 golf courses. I'm looking at houses there now. On average I bet there aren't more than 4 or 5 days/year that the snow might be an issue as far as driving. The roads are well-maintained. There are also some amazing deals on houses right now. Castle Rock is nothing like Evergreen. It's basically a nice suburb like you could find anywhere. Hope that helps.
I can't resist chiming in.

I am living in Denver but I lived in Topanga Canyon, CA for a long time. I've spent quite a bit of time in the area including Evergreen.

I think it's an odd comparison - Evergreen really isnt' the 'Topanga' of Denver. There are just so many differences demographically, culturally, everything.

Topanga really isn't 35 minutes from downtown unless you live way down on the Valley side and go in zero traffic, and Evergreen commutes seem to be typically longer than that, too. On the beach side there is no way you can make it in 35 minutes, and even if you could you have to factor in beach traffic on PCH, etc.

My understanding of Evergreen traffic is that it's not just snow-days that slow you down - there are quite a few scenarios that cause the 70 to slow to a crawl, for example.

Although I would agree that Evergreen is much more like Topanga than Castle Rock, it's really not the same kind of feeling.

Evergreen is beautiful in places and I would love to live there (if I wasn't such a wimp about being cold!) but it ain't Topanga! It's its own thing!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 PM

I meant that it's like Topanga in that it is one of the closest mountain communities to a major metropolitan area....close enough that you can feel like you are in the wilderness and you can still commute to town every day. You're right. Topanga was actually way worse of a commute but everything in LA is a worse commute. The last 4 times I've driven from downtown Denver to Evergreen, it has taken me 30-40 minutes tops.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:23 PM

36 posts, read 87,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I meant that it's like Topanga in that it is one of the closest mountain communities to a major metropolitan area....close enough that you can feel like you are in the wilderness and you can still commute to town every day. You're right. Topanga was actually way worse of a commute but everything in LA is a worse commute. The last 4 times I've driven from downtown Denver to Evergreen, it has taken me 30-40 minutes tops.
yeah, i dont miss the 101 and the 405 at all. my friends still update their facebook status almost daily to "on the 405 parking lot ... fml" haha!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 PM

299 posts, read 712,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej25 View Post
yeah, i dont miss the 101 and the 405 at all. my friends still update their facebook status almost daily to "on the 405 parking lot ... fml" haha!
maybe so but oh wow do I miss Topanga Canyon. There's no place like it!

Old 09-20-2009, 05:55 PM

36 posts, read 87,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
maybe so but oh wow do I miss Topanga Canyon. There's no place like it!
as long as ive lived in the valley, ive only taken Topanga Cyn ONCE to go to PCH, then to santa monica. other than that i was only on it to go to work on topanga/prairie at the Time Warner building

Old 09-20-2009, 06:29 PM

29 posts, read 56,037 times
For this look at a map. Find c-470 and south Wadsworth. Go one block south to Deer creek canyon rd. Go west into the foothills. Either turn left on south deer creek or continue on. This little valley system is near to the city but in the mountains. Lots of houses for sale in these valleys. Check it out. Also, Parma lee gulch Rd, which is South of Kittredge is a great place to live. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver