Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times

Advertisements

Men's Journal has an article in June
"The best neighborhoods in America"
The Best Neighborhoods in America*|*Men’s Journal

It has named the Highland neighborhood in Denver, on the top of
The Bests Neighborhoods in America-Central

The Best Neighborhoods in America: Central*|*Men’s Journal

They call Highland--East Highland or E-Hi for short. That is the first I heard of that, but I am not of the "city's smart set" as they say.

Hidi, Hidi, Ho, E-Hi is Tops, Hidi, Hidi, Ho...
Yea, I got Cab Calloway on my mind, if you do not know who I am talking about---then you are too young...

Gee, Get This----The Magazine has Boulder's "North Boulder" on the same Central list--on the bottom; and they call it "No-Bo", Oh-No! Where do they come up with these names; from people who learned to read, from "text" on their cell phone.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it is off to Denver E-Hi, We Go
With Big Dreams and Little Means
Hi Ho, Hi Ho...Hi Ho, Hi Ho

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it is off to Boulder No-Bo, We Go
With Dopey Head and Beer Breath
Hi, Ho, Hi Ho..Hi Ho, Hi Ho

We got to stop all this--they all want to come to Colorado...

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-28-2009 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 AM

119 posts, read 469,230 times
I do really like that neighborhood, whatever they're calling it now, but I don't know about that $270,000 median home price. There are some dumps down there that are beyond repair that are probably bringing that price down. I know when my wife and I were looking for a home in north Denver we only saw one or two in East Highland that was in our range (and liveable), which was slightly below the mentioned median price.

I can see why this magazine would be high on East Highland. It has more of a vibe/energy to it than the neighborhoods to its west. West Highland and Berkeley are better places to live, imo, but are more of family neighborhoods.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Men's Journal has an article in June
"The best neighborhoods in America"
The Best Neighborhoods in America*|*Men’s Journal

It has named the Highland neighborhood in Denver, on the top of
The Bests Neighborhoods in America-Central

The Best Neighborhoods in America: Central*|*Men’s Journal

They call Highland--East Highland or E-Hi for short. That is the first I heard of that, but I am not of the "city's smart set" as they say.

Hidi, Hidi, Ho, E-Hi is Tops, Hidi, Hidi, Ho...
Yea, I got Cab Calloway on my mind, if you do not know who I am talking about---then you are too young...

Gee, Get This----The Magazine has Boulder's "North Boulder" on the same Central list--on the bottom; and they call it "No-Bo", Oh-No! Where do they come up with these names; from people who learned to read, from "text" on their cell phone.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it is off to Denver E-Hi, We Go
With Big Dreams and Little Means
Hi Ho, Hi Ho...Hi Ho, Hi Ho

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it is off to Boulder No-Bo, We Go
With Dopey Head and Beer Breath
Hi, Ho, Hi Ho..Hi Ho, Hi Ho

We got to stop all this--they all want to come to Colorado...

Livecontent
I just moved to NO BO, but tonight I will be in LODO..to see the Nuggets
deliver a blow blow..

Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,606 times
That's great exposure for Highlands. As luck would have it, I'll be in town for the Highlands Street Fair, excited to check it out, never been to that side of Denver before. It looks like from the maps, it's an easy walk from Millenium Bridge/16th St. It seems like a very walkable neighborhood. I need to look up the older threads on Highlands to see what people have said about it.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:59 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
That's great exposure for Highlands. As luck would have it, I'll be in town for the Highlands Street Fair, excited to check it out, never been to that side of Denver before. It looks like from the maps, it's an easy walk from Millenium Bridge/16th St. It seems like a very walkable neighborhood. I need to look up the older threads on Highlands to see what people have said about it.
That is a long walk and not direct. You would be walking around the fair and it could be tiring. I have walked from Downtown, through this area, and to my house in Arvada; but many years ago. I have been to the fair, many times.

I would suggest taking a bus to get near to the site and walk the rest of the way. Driving is a mistake as there are few areas to park, even when there is no fair. You may be tempted to take your bike on the bus, but it only can take two bikes and others will be trying to do the same. Better idea is just to bike all the way to the fair and when you seen it, you can further explore west to Berkeley, Tennyson Street. Then you will be far west and you will be the first to put your bike on the bus, going east; if you do not want to ride anymore.

You can take routes 32, 38 or the 31 on Federal and they will all get you very close to the area. I think that the 32 is diverted around 32nd and Lowell for the day, but would be a good choice.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-29-2009 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 10:22 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
These 4-letter names are driving me insane. I'll accept LoDo -- that's been in use for a long time. The rest of them should be banned from all forms of print journalism. NoBo? Please. I assume East Colfax will shortly be EaCo. I've actually heard SoBo (South Broadway -- but shouldn't that be SoBro?) and SoCo (presumably, south of Colfax, ala NYC's SoHO, south of Houston?)

I actually have heard a name for Highland that the article people hadn't, apparently, HiDo (a take off on LoDo).. Please, nobody start repeating this, someone has to put a stop to all these names!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
Yes, the fair is in the original Highland neighborhood around 32nd and Lowell. The article in Men's Journal focuses on Lower Highland, which is centered around 32nd and Zuni. Federal separates East and West Highlands. You can walk it, but it will be another mile or so. The fair itself is a lot of fun -- good food, beer, shopping, music. It was super hot last year.

I think it is great this neighborhood was mentioned in Men's Journal!! We rented there and it was a great place to live. Like another poster mentioned though, the median prices are a bit low in the article. We had to move to Sunnyside because we couldn't afford to buy in the Highlands area.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 PM

38 posts, read 135,894 times
That's LoHi according to the realtors. And I second what HighlandsGal said. The prices, even if it was a dump, were a bit off the charts, and we bought in West Highland instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver