Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Wishing for people's homes to be destroyed is a pretty hateful thing to say. I guess it goes with the territory of being a black hearted troll.
Well said. Apparently, Steve's hatred of all things suburbia outweighs any compassion for people who live out here and could have died. Nice guy, but then again, his reputation is hardly stellar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Welcome to America the land of cheap gas. Drive until you qualify. You DESERVE a new house as an American. I know one thing; I want nothing to do with the tranches anywhere east or along E-470. 50+ percent forclosure rates and what is really odd is very high property taxes too.
"It's better to let someone think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it."

You know absolutely nada. Your hatred of the suburbs clouds your thinking and you make sweeping generalizations that cannot even be supported. Drive til you qualify. That's hilarious. Especially when you see how much the homes cost out here. 50% foreclosure rate? Give me a link to that one. Oh, and yes, my property taxes are nowhere near being considered "very high." They went up this year because we voted to support our school district and give them money for the bonds and levies. What a bunch of lemmings we are! How dare we live beyond whatever boundary you've decided is a reasonable distance to live! How dare we want to live in a good school district with nice neighbors who take care of their yards and actually care about their neighborhood!

Great schools, low crime, convenient access to shopping and dining, fantastic views of the city and the mountains and for most of us, a reasonable drive to work. I don't know a single person in my subdivision who works in downtown Denver. Even we moronic suburban dwellers know better than that.

And by the way, Southlands Mall is hardly the "worst" mall in Denver. Gawd. You seem to be one of those people who likes to make dumb statements to get a rise out of people. I am one of those people who continue to let you bait me with your ignorance. But you know what? Go ahead and make all the statements you like. Seriously. Those of us who know we live in a gem will continue to do so and people like you who can't seem to find joy in anything will continue to complain about things you cannot control and no doubt surround yourself with people just like yourself. I'm sure you're a blast at parties.

For the rest of us, see you at Southlands! We will be heading for the fountain later this afternoon. Come join us and celebrate our good fortune that the tornado didn't do more damage. We'll be getting ice cream at Maggie Moos!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
3D's is correct.

Metrolist: NE Denver, S Aurora tops for home resales, an article from The Denver Business Journal, reports that northeast Denver and southern Aurora had the most single-family home resales through May. Year-to-date home sales in southern Aurora were 1,149, while northeast Denver sales were 1,115. Other strong areas in terms of resales were: southwest Denver (809), southeast Denver (759) and the central part of the northern metro-area suburbs (754). The Boulder area had the highest average selling prices for resales: $527,216 for the Boulder plains area and $663,311 for Boulder proper. The highest average selling price for condos through May was downtown Denver at $431,249.
Metrolist: NE Denver, S Aurora tops for home resales - Denver Business Journal:

Old 06-09-2009, 09:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Default Drive till you qualify!

Why all the contempt for people who can't afford a pied-a-terre in Stapelton?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
It is true that part of the reason why tornadoes appear to be a bigger problem than they were is simply the fact that development covers more acreage than it used to. 15 years ago, Southlands Mall (or anything around it) was simply empty space and Windsor, the site of last year's tornado disaster, was tiny farming hamlet lost in Greeley's shadow. These tornadoes would have came and went without so much as a mention in the press because nobody would have been there to see them.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, exactly, it is what it is... but it explains why it seems like tornadoes have seemed to become a more prevalent feature of the front range landscape than they once were.
That's true for all natural disasters. My husband was in the Air Force and we got orders to Florida. We moved right after Hurricane Katrina and lived there for the rest of the hurricane season. It was terrifying. When we were looking for a home, I was obsessed with finding a home in a "non flood" area of the city. The entire state is color coded according to whose house will likely be washed away in the event of a level 4 hurricane. Pretty much the entire city of Tampa. Yet, there are more homes built in the flood areas than any other place. Everyone wants to live on or near the water, no matter what the risk is. People continue to move to the Florida Keys though they get evacuated at least a few times during every hurricane season. People move to California every day and with the exception of a locust swarm, they are basically working their way through the plagues of the Old Testament!

If you get a dream job in Hurricane Alley, you move there. You keep your fingers crossed that you'll get lucky. That's really all you can do. There are people who live in that area who have never even had their homes damaged and others, like ebeth, who just moved to Denver and had her windows broken by hail on her first day in a new house.

There's not a "safe" place to live. Those who live in the mountains are at risk for forest fires. Those along the west coast are always being told the "big one" (earthquake) will happen soon. The volcanoes in Oregon and Washington "wake up" occassionally and freak everyone out. The midwest has tornadoes. The east coast gets hurricanes. Texas runs the gamut from severe draught to ice storms. Freaky things happen everywhere. You could live in a so-called safe area and have your house burn to the ground because of faulty wiring or an idiot with a misplaced firework.

The only thing you can do is be prepared for whatever comes. Put your critical papers in a fire proof/flood proof safe. Download your digital photos onto a thumb drive and put that in the safe too. Keep your photo albums together. You don't have to be obsessive, but it doesn't hurt to think once in a while about what you would do if you had less than 5 minutes to evacuate your house. When the tornado warning was issued on Sunday, I spent 10 minutes running around trying to find my stupid cell phone. After the tornado passed by, I spent a good hour collecting things like photo albums and baby books and emergency supplies and putting them downstairs. I'll bring the albums back upstairs after tornado season is over. I can spend my time more wisely collecting clothes, food, dog food and other things that would help us if a tornado destroyed my house. Oh, and I will always put my cell phone in the same place so I'm not running around the house cursing and freaking out.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why all the contempt for people who can't afford a pied-a-terre in Stapelton?
And those who can afford Stapleton get to put their kids in overcrowded classrooms in the Denver Public School System and those who don't register early enough get their kids sent to a "neighboring" school. Seems there's trouble in "paradise".

Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
I am still fine tuning the weather machine (with the assistance of the Yakuza who have the most knowledge in this area -- Katrina and all) such that all of exurbia will be eradicated. We managed to hit the worst mall in "Denver" this time around; fingers crossed we can knock down the rest of that clapped together soon to be in forclosure anyway crap next time around.

On another note; did anyone else catch 9news this morning wherein they showed a piece of someones roof that came off from that clapped together height of the bubble construction? Wood and shingles -- no asphalt at all. I guess some good came out of that one anyway; they might get the roof they thought they had purchased in the first place the second time around.

Welcome to America the land of cheap gas. Drive until you qualify. You DESERVE a new house as an American. I know one thing; I want nothing to do with the tranches anywhere east or along E-470. 50+ percent forclosure rates and what is really odd is very high property taxes too.
Ah, because we all know that a tornado could never hit Stapleton, now could it? They must know better than to hit urban or new urban locations.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
And those who can afford Stapleton get to put their kids in overcrowded classrooms in the Denver Public School System and those who don't register early enough get their kids sent to a "neighboring" school. Seems there's trouble in "paradise".
We have a giant tornado shield in Stapleton to protect us, you know!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:59 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Ah, because we all know that a tornado could never hit Stapleton, now could it? They must know better than to hit urban or new urban locations.
Something to do with new age pyramid-power force fields, I think. Or is it the crystals....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM

6 posts, read 20,687 times
The one tornado hit the Orchard Town Center, just west of I-25 AND 144TH. So much for the myth that tornado's only hit EAST of I-25. Lot's of bad info out there. I was shocked to find out that Weld County, Colorado has the highest amount of tornado activity in the entire USA. "Weld County had the highest number of reported tornadoes of any county in the United States in the 50 years between 1950 and 2000, with 213 twisters reported, according to the National Weather Service." I talked with a friend of mine who does tornado chasing. He said there is a debate in the weather community about where Tornado Alley starts. Some say the Eastern plains of Colorado, the other sides says it starts at the corridor of I-25 in Denver and heads east. One thing for sure, hail starts everywhere in Denver, man that stuff is nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver