Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 AM

53 posts, read 201,137 times

Advertisements

You will be fine with fwd with snow tires 99% of the time, most people I know that live above 9k feet have all seasons/ terrains and 4wd or fwd with snows, neither is ideal. One of them drives a Miata (small, light, RWD) and never misses work 20 miles away.

Some houses have driveways that are impassable for anything but a high clearance 4wd with chains on all fours though, particularly during spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 11:02 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outside1 View Post
Snow tires and 2WD are just fine. What do you think we all did before AWD and 4WD were so common? I drive a RWD vehicle with snow tires year round.
Get at least one vehicle with 4WD/AWD. I have lived here all my life, and 25 years ago I used to drive around in a Ford Pinto with rear wheel drive, but auto technology improved so I took advantage of it. Wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry (especially in the mountains)?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM

33 posts, read 64,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenUlasewich View Post
ptboat, you'll probably be okay with your winter package/traction control on both vehicles, I wouldn't jump the gun and get rid of them. If it turns out you need to make a change, I haven't seen any instances of prices on 4WD vehicles jumping in price after the first snow or anything. So, you'll have plenty of time.

Are you going to be in metro Denver or elsewhere?

Sorry to take so long to respond. We're actually going to Georgetown, in Clear Creek County. We'll be living in the town and not up a steep hill, so I'm hoping we'll be okay. The whole thought of snow tires vs regular tires has me baffled at this moment. It's definitely going to be an interesting experience.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:21 PM

16 posts, read 31,794 times
Front Wheel drive cars do pretty well even in ice and snow but clearance is usually what puts them in the ditch. Even in Denver an AWD or 4WD (at least one in ea family) is highly recommended. In my experience 4wd pickups are a little skittish on ice and in snow if you don't have driving experience, you end up having to load the bed up with weight. Just make sure you get Clearance, not familiar with Forester. My Jeep GC is a mountain goat there isn't anywhere I can't go with it any time I want. You are definitely going to want an SUV of some kind in Evergreen especially with a steep driveway, I don't care what the enviros tell you. Welcome to the area~!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:58 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverfromHays View Post
In my experience 4wd pickups are a little skittish on ice and in snow if you don't have driving experience,
A fairly accurate statement although it depends on the make and model. Definitely true for some of them. Others are better balanced. The best-handling vehicle for snow that I ever had was a 1988 Ford F-150 reg cab long bed with M+S tires. It was probably due to something about its weight distribution was just right for snow. On the other hand, I've also had other 4wd trucks that were worse.

Nonetheless, 4wd is better than 2wd, any day. Simple physics: four powered points of contact with the ground outperform under much more variety of conditions.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:06 PM

21 posts, read 34,073 times
4wd is recommended if your in the foothills. If you don't have experience driving in snow, slow down. I see more 4wd vehicles spin off the road than smaller cars. It will get you going, but you can't stop any better with 4wd. Just remember that,but don't creep either, just figure out quick how to drive through snow.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 PM

53 posts, read 201,137 times
Pickup trucks do OK in the snow because in 4WD on anything slippery they basically become FWD.

Try driving a pickup in 2WD, even with good tires through snow and you will understand. And I mean a real pickup, not a 4 door SUV with a 4 foot bed.

Pay attention to differentials as well, my RWD BMW with a limited slip does better in lots of situations then a 4wd with two open differentials.

And remember, snow tires are like a seat belt or air bag. >99% of the time you are just fine without them, but it's the <1% that will kill you or others. I see so many people buy Subarus because of the number of airbags and the structural integrity based on the VERY small chance they need them, then put crappy tires on them.

Last edited by karpiel; 04-28-2010 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 04:55 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
Try driving a pickup in 2WD, even with good tires through snow and you will understand.
I refuse to own a 2WD pickup.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 AM

95 posts, read 290,659 times
i wouldn't live in evergreen without AWD. there's some scary hills for a 2wd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver