U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM

30 posts, read 85,696 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Evergreen next month, and we are evaluating our car situation. We know the snows are going to be heavy, but we currently do not have AWD/4WD vehicles. We own a 2WD Toyota 4Runner, and a Lexus LS400, both of which do not have traction control. Any chance we can get away with putting a really good set of snow tires on them, like the Firestone Winterforce, or are we fighting a losing battle here? FYI, our home is at 8000 feet, county maintained roads, but our driveway is somewhat steep.

If you think we need AWD/4WD, which I think we probably do, what makes/model do you recommend. We are strongly leaning towards a Subaru Forester with the above mentioned tires.

All replies greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 AM

221 posts, read 515,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
We are moving to Evergreen next month, and we are evaluating our car situation.

If you think we need AWD/4WD, which I think we probably do, what makes/model do you recommend. We are strongly leaning towards a Subaru Forester with the above mentioned tires.

All replies greatly appreciated.
Rob, I lived in Evergreen my first year in CO. Ditched my Ranger pickup truck back east and bought a Forester when I got here. It's been a champ.

I too lived in a house in North Evergreen (so good roads) but with a steep drive. It was southfacing but could get icy and snowpacked. The Subaru did well in all conditions, whereas my partner's Acura - not so good.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 AM

30 posts, read 85,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
Rob, I lived in Evergreen my first year in CO. Ditched my Ranger pickup truck back east and bought a Forester when I got here. It's been a champ.

I too lived in a house in North Evergreen (so good roads) but with a steep drive. It was southfacing but could get icy and snowpacked. The Subaru did well in all conditions, whereas my partner's Acura - not so good.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have been in a very similar situation. What year Forester did you own? Any problems with it?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 AM

5 posts, read 13,021 times
I had an f-150 4x4 when i lived there last year...i can't imagine not having a 4x4 there- although I own a home in south evergreen next to Conifer.
I rented the home to a couple that had an acura and 4x2 bmw mini suv - and they had major issues, got stuck on the side of the snowy road the first time coming to the house and had to be pulled out by a larger truck than I ... they moved out only 4-5 months later back to hot 4x2 FLA, I assume.... good luck but be careful- traction control 4x4 i say is a must anywhere in the foothills...you never know where u will end up driving around!!

Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM

33 posts, read 60,219 times
We have a mini cooper with a winter package/traction control and an older volvo equally outfitted, which are great in the Georgia, but I'm concerned about the Rockies. Should we get rid of these cars before moving?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:41 PM

71 posts, read 240,207 times
ptboat, you'll probably be okay with your winter package/traction control on both vehicles, I wouldn't jump the gun and get rid of them. If it turns out you need to make a change, I haven't seen any instances of prices on 4WD vehicles jumping in price after the first snow or anything. So, you'll have plenty of time.

Are you going to be in metro Denver or elsewhere?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:56 PM

268 posts, read 426,146 times
If you can't afford to buy a new vehicle, getting studded tires works ok for some people, FWD particularly.

I personally like my 4x4s. 04 Chevy Dmax and 05 Yukon.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 AM

6,288 posts, read 10,888,859 times
Definitely 4WD/AWD with snow tires. Don't pay attention to people saying all you need is snow tires + 2WD.

Let's say you've got a 2wd vehicle. You end up putting those two wheels in a slushy groove (not uncommon.) You're there spinning your wheel and gotta get someone to help you out.

Not an issue with 4wd. A 4wd vehicle can get you out of a lot of difficult situations where it's impossible to get out of with 2wd..

Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM

94 posts, read 231,511 times
Quote:
Definitely 4WD/AWD with snow tires. Don't pay attention to people saying all you need is snow tires + 2WD.
Snow tires and 2WD are just fine. What do you think we all did before AWD and 4WD were so common? I drive a RWD vehicle with snow tires year round. Some of the newer cars with traction control systems can be a real PITA and you usually end up having to disable them.

Front wheel drive makes things a bit easier unless you happen to have a 911 where the weight remains over the engine which is at the wrong end. Whichever solution you decide on tires are a very important factor.

If you are planning on replacing your 4runner I would suggest you sell it anywhere but Colorado. You are going to take a big hit for the lack of 4WD. You would be surprised at how few people know they even bothered to make a non 4WD 4runner.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:37 PM

6,288 posts, read 10,888,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outside1 View Post
Snow tires and 2WD are just fine.
Nonsense. This only works if you limit where you're driving (no steep driveways, no offroading) and you're extremely picky about when you drive. Impractical for the kind of driving myself and a lot of other folks do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>