Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Denverian: I wholeheartedly agree. As much as you can, expose them to other cultures and other different people. I kind of got screwed in that aspect, and as an adult female black woman, have often had a hard time socializing with other blacks.
Thanks - great suggestion! As their parent, it just breaks my heart to think that someday someone will treat them poorly because of their skin color/race, but it's something we'll have to deal with. Our goal is to raise them to be very strong young men. And then we carefully chose where we live, meaning it seems to be quite tolerant and at least some racial diversity.

I suppose, as has been mentioned, kids can just be flat our cruel to one another. Maybe it's just the nature of the little beasts!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,693,714 times
Boys might be different than girls. Both sexes have pressures, but different ones. I can tell you, I've been dealing with my race for my entire life, and I fully expect the rest of my life. It's something you become aware of at a very young age and it never just "goes away". It has become a part of me and something I accept and try to use to my advantage in a positive way instead of allowing it to alter who I am in a negative way.

I do feel anger towards whites who pronounce that racism is gone. I wonder, how the heck would they know???

Old 11-24-2008, 11:10 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,021,361 times
I've met very few people who were racist in Denver, only 2 I can think of that were outright...not a common attitude in my experience. I can't say everyone was friendly to each other in general, more of the not wanting to get in a strangers business. Once you see each other for a bit people tend to get more friendly.

I've always loved to get to know the variety of people around me, I wasn't exposed as much growing up...but no one made a big deal about anyone's background either. It only really came up when eating (god I love Indian and Turkish food after being exposed to it) or talking politics, X country tried XYZ and it worked/didn't work. Otherwise, what the heck does it matter what people are...it matters who people are, I want friends with decent and upright people no matter what they look like.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 AM

I just read your profile to see what you are about, and after glancing at your status updates, it seems race is very much in your thinking.

Do you realize that your status updates are available for the entire public to view??

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I've met very few people who were racist in Denver, only 2 I can think of that were outright...not a common attitude in my experience. I can't say everyone was friendly to each other in general, more of the not wanting to get in a strangers business. Once you see each other for a bit people tend to get more friendly.

I've always loved to get to know the variety of people around me, I wasn't exposed as much growing up...but no one made a big deal about anyone's background either. It only really came up when eating (god I love Indian and Turkish food after being exposed to it) or talking politics, X country tried XYZ and it worked/didn't work. Otherwise, what the heck does it matter what people are...it matters who people are, I want friends with decent and upright people no matter what they look like.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM

23 posts, read 49,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks77 View Post
I'm sorry but you are DEAD WRONG. There are very few people in Denver with that attitude. Or I must be meeting nothing but the wrong people.
I disagree with this statement.

People live and let live around here. People of different colors may not necessarily approach each other on the street, make small talk, and invite the other over for dinner with the wife and kids (if that's what you're looking for), but it doesn't mean that people are racist. To form your impression on an entire city based on a few jerks you might have run across isn't really fair.

However, if you're friendly and engaging, you will make friends regardless what color you happen to be. Then, when this happens, you just might get that dinner invite.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Boys might be different than girls. Both sexes have pressures, but different ones. I can tell you, I've been dealing with my race for my entire life, and I fully expect the rest of my life. It's something you become aware of at a very young age and it never just "goes away". It has become a part of me and something I accept and try to use to my advantage in a positive way instead of allowing it to alter who I am in a negative way.

I do feel anger towards whites who pronounce that racism is gone. I wonder, how the heck would they know???

Spending 13 years w/my partner, who's black, I'm quite aware racism exists. I've been in the car (a high-end car) with him when he was pulled over for "driving while black", been followed in a store with him by an employee, and understood his concerns with work when he felt passed over for a job due to his race. But yeah, really I can't know. I guess being gay, I know what it's like to have people against me, but if I just walk into a store, I'm not immediately targeted. Similar, but different.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Ahhh being gay, a whole 'nother ball of wax. Just as bad discrimination wise, but again, a different breed. And if your partner is black, you def. have a more inside view, as my husband is white. Being gay, it's not like people see it immediately. Same argument goes for people like me from other black folks, many believe that since I'm light skinned, I get a better deal because my race isn't so pronounced. Well good for you on trying to raise a child with more awareness of culture and ethnicities, I wish it was done more. Maybe with this new administration...

Although while we have that going on, we have Calif. with their Prop. 8

Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM

3,971 posts, read 7,672,035 times
I am a BW, and I date interracially, I realize racism exists in all areas of life, there's no way to avoid it.
but I can say from personal experience, that being from Denver, I haven't really experienced any negativity. I find denverites to be friendly and outgoing and welcoming of "newbies".
I have had the chance to travel all over the US and I can say that Denver is progressive and educated and laid back.
You shouldn't have any difficulties. Of course, these are my opinions!! Welcome to Denver, hope you love it!!
p.s.- there are going to be "questionable" areas wherever you go. just take time to look around, get a feel for a neighborhood and school you will enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
We are thinking about moving to denver from phx but was wondering if there is racism there? We have young children and dont want to move directly into an area that may be an issue

Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 AM

402 posts, read 1,262,529 times
From a white/cracker perspective I'll add this. Racism isn't gone, hopefully one day it'll be extremely rare, but unfortunately that will probably take another generation or two. We do have Obama though that's a huge step in the right direction. I'm not sure if anyone can deny that racism as a whole has declined over the last 40 years, but it does exist. It took nearly 100 years for the 15th Amendment to be enforced and give everyone the right to vote. 40 years later bigotry has decreased enough for whites to have even voted heavily for a black man to run our country. If we weren't getting better as a country I don't think a milestone like this could have been reached in only 40 years when it took a century just to be allowed to check a box on a piece of paper.
It's not gone, but we're getting better! Discrimination unfortunately comes in too many forms... I was discriminated against when I lived in North Carolina because I was a Yankee from Jersey. Mostly by the same ignorant white people that discrimated because of race too.

WTME:
Quote:
often had a hard time socializing with other blacks.
Unfortunately white people are in a similar situation don't even realize it. I think it's Chris Rock that jokes about how all his black friends have tons of white friends, and all his white friends have one black friend. I may can stoned for calling out the whities, but take a look at people's friends lists on myspace and facebook... if they are white, most of their friends on there are white too. But that's not to say that black people have a huge mix of friends either though (but they do tend to be much better), it's just that we still have an issue with cultural exclusion and it's evident even online.

Personally I have a hard enough time meeting new friends to begin with, white, black, hispanic, asian, ... If I go to a primarily black club, bar, etc, I am looked at as 'whitey' and you can see in people's eyes that they are thinking "Does he know where he is?" Until we all drop this subconscience desire to retain our 'safe havens' where we can go and have everyone be similar, I don't know if we'll truely get past racism. In the end there will always be a few people who won't get over it... just like we still have people today who think the world is flat (no joke... google the flat earth society)

Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 AM

I thought you were born and raised in Colo. Springs and haven't lived in Denver for years? Am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I am a BW, and I date interracially, I realize racism exists in all areas of life, there's no way to avoid it.
but I can say from personal experience, that being from Denver, I haven't really experienced any negativity. I find denverites to be friendly and outgoing and welcoming of "newbies".
I have had the chance to travel all over the US and I can say that Denver is progressive and educated and laid back.
You shouldn't have any difficulties. Of course, these are my opinions!! Welcome to Denver, hope you love it!!
p.s.- there are going to be "questionable" areas wherever you go. just take time to look around, get a feel for a neighborhood and school you will enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver