Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM

28 posts, read 104,022 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Denver after we are done with our undergrad, but we have never been there and might not be able to visit, so we need advice!
1. We are both 22, so we want a place that has a young vibe, cheap downtown where we could live close-enough to the center not to have to take an expensive cab home every weekend night. What kinds of fun things are there to do?
2. Jobs! He works in marketing and executive business so there needs to be some good large companies in that realm... and I am going to go through an alternative certification process to become a middle/high school english language arts teacher, so there has to be a need for those teachers! Also, how is the school system?
3. We are extremely active--love running, so there needs to be lots of trails, 5ks, etc, and like biking to work and going to parks/swimming pools. We also would prefer to live really close to water. And--we need a professional baseball or basketball team that the city gets really into supporting!
4. What is the arts scene like (plays, etc)? Are there farmers markets, wineries, or health foods stores?

So pretty much, do you think that this city is a good fit for a really young, semi-conservative, artsy, active couple AND will we be able to find jobs here?
Thanks!

Also--how would these surrounding areas be for us: Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands, Longmont, Thornton, Westminster, Lakewood, and Aurora?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Yes. Denver's got what you need.

One of the cheapest downtowns in the country If I'm not mistaken.
Need you even ask about the "outdoors." there's probably more runners in Colorado than any other state.
There's qutie a lot of lakes around the Denver area. check out this link: Fish Explorer Colorado Lakes and Reservoirs - Colorado Fishing Map

Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I wouldn't recommend moving here w/o at least seeing the place. Even though, on paper, it sounds like Denver has almost everything you want, there is that pesky # 2 to be concerned about. The teaching market is tight. That's not to say you won't find a job, but it may not be full-time teaching. You may have to sub. I don't have any experience with your bf's field, I would suggest he do some market research. Also, you may just not like it. Where are you coming from? If from the east, you'll miss the green. If from California, you may not like the snow. Lots to think about before you move out lock, stock and barrell. I'd also suggest you read some of the old threads listed in the index, and do some general research re: baseball team, basketball team, etc.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-18-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM

12 posts, read 36,069 times
Job situation in Denver sucks right now so that could be difficult. Craigslist is a good place to find places to rent near downtown. Good neighborhoods are- wash park, cheesman park, mayfield, some parts of capital hill, Bonnie Brae. I wouldn't say Denver is a cheap city to live in its expensive but you do make up for some of it in quality of life ie-really well maintained downtown, close to mountains, good museams, resturants, active young people, open minded people, (less so in the suburbs) etc. Its a matter of prefernce, but I do not like the Littleton, HIghlands Ranch, Lonetree type areas. More older families, its an expensive cab ride from downtown (but there is the light rail), the area in general is expensive. The families in this area tend to have money and its VERY suburbia. Cookie cutter homes, newer built so greenery/trees etc are small/still growing. BUT I also know people that like it out there so its whatever you are looking for. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 AM

530 posts, read 2,617,437 times
WOW! From what I see you are interested in moving to so many places that you have never been to. Portland,Seattle,Vancouver,Knoxville,Charleston,Eu gene,Wichita,Atlanta,Phoenix and Denver. Quite a diverse list. I don't think you will get all of your answers from these boards. You should really think about what place best fits your needs and visit before you move there. Good luck!
BTW, Denver is awesome!!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 36,069 times
Also the teaching job for english is VERY tight!!! You would probably have the best luck looking in Denver Public Schools and Aurora Public Schools as they tend to be the less "desirable" areas in comparison to the other areas but even there teaching jobs that aren't math are very hard to find.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,754,868 times
For new college grads (entry level), Denver is supposedly in the top five for jobs according to this article:

Jobs: Top Cities for New College Grads - BusinessWeek

Half-way through the article, it says:

Quote:
With Phoenix in the top spot, Indianapolis, New York, Atlanta, and Denver round out the top five cities for new college grads.
Again it probably depends on the field. There are plenty of entry level service, healthcare, and maybe marketing jobs. Cost of housing is not too bad compared to other large cities. Teaching jobs I think you will have to be flexible in terms of commute and/or part-time positions. Best to visit where you want to live first, or have a job in hand, so that you know that is where you want to be.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:52 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,465,602 times
Concentrate around Cheeseman Park in your hunt for a place to live. Good access to running trails, grocery stores, bars, food, music venues. A farmers market takes place during the warmer months every weekend (Sunday?) at East High School right nere Cheeseman or down in Cherry Creek near the mall too.

A cab ride from Lodo will cost you 6 or 7 bucks at most and you can walk it, ride a bike or have some fun and take the 15 from Broadway and Colfax after you make use of the free mall shuttle.

Capitol Hill to the west a little bit is also a good bet, as are uptown just north, West Wash Park a bit further south, Baker, LoHi etc in that area west of I-25.

Map of Denver neighborhoods:

Denver Neighborhood Map

Quote:
Also--how would these surrounding areas be for us: Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands, Longmont, Thornton, Westminster, Lakewood, and Aurora?
Pretty much the opposite of what you described earlier. Sprawl, driving everywhere and eating in strip malls or chain eatieries. Mmm Applebees. Driving 30+ minutes to be in the city.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Save it, steve. They've posted in 9 different city forums with the exact same post, just customized to the city in the last paragraph.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 PM

28 posts, read 104,022 times
Thank you very much for all of this help!

Micktooth--you are right, my boyfriend and I still have until May to move, so we are working on narrowing down a long list. I have made a huge spreadsheet with every possible thing we might need on it. The things I have asked are mainly harder to find because they are less statistic related and hearing opinions is the best help!
But here is our current list:
1. Denver, CO
2. Vancouver, WA
3. Seattle, WA
4. Portland, OR
5. Charleston, SC
6. Atlanta, GA
7. Knoxville, TN

If anyone wants to comment on our list, please do! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver