Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Only if you listen to the angry, vocal, snooty, urbanistas who hate any and all suburbs.
I agree. If you live IN Highlands Ranch you won't hear much negativity about it. In fact, I think the only place I've heard all the bashing is on this forum. A lot of people live here and work in the Tech Center at at Lockheed. It is a very family friendly community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 02:46 PM

171 posts, read 581,994 times
OP here.

First of all, I wanted to thank you all for your replies. I think I repped everybody....hopefully I didnt miss anyone. As an answer to some of your questions, only I will be working. The entire purpose of moving to Denver from Los Angeles is that we can afford a home there on one income instead of two. So my wife will work for a few years, and then be a stay-at-home mom once we have children (we're in our late 20s now)

Unfortunately, my wife and I still have differing opinions. She likes Grant's Ranch alot because of the "feel" of the neighborhood. And I have to admit that the curb appeal there is MUCH better than Highlands Ranch. Also, she tends to like Richmond-built homes - and there are many of those in Grant's Ranch.

I'm leaning towards Highlands Ranch for three reasons:
1) The commute will (theoretically) be less since youre closer to the freeway than Grant's Ranch.
2) Your association fees pay for the gyms (HUGE plus)
3) The trail system in Highlands Ranch is larger and more extensive than Grant's Ranch. We are both long-distance runners, so having good trails to run on is important to us.

That being said, my wife tends to always get her way so we'll probably end up in Grant's.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:47 PM

338 posts, read 320,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post
OP here.

First of all, I wanted to thank you all for your replies. I think I repped everybody....hopefully I didnt miss anyone. As an answer to some of your questions, only I will be working. The entire purpose of moving to Denver from Los Angeles is that we can afford a home there on one income instead of two. So my wife will work for a few years, and then be a stay-at-home mom once we have children (we're in our late 20s now)

Unfortunately, my wife and I still have differing opinions. She likes Grant's Ranch alot because of the "feel" of the neighborhood. And I have to admit that the curb appeal there is MUCH better than Highlands Ranch. Also, she tends to like Richmond-built homes - and there are many of those in Grant's Ranch.

I'm leaning towards Highlands Ranch for three reasons:
1) The commute will (theoretically) be less since youre closer to the freeway than Grant's Ranch.
2) Your association fees pay for the gyms (HUGE plus)
3) The trail system in Highlands Ranch is larger and more extensive than Grant's Ranch. We are both long-distance runners, so having good trails to run on is important to us.

That being said, my wife tends to always get her way so we'll probably end up in Grant's.

ucbedge-
1)Will you be commuting downtown? Some companies offer discounted passes for public transportation so that's something you may want to look into. If you do chose Grant Ranch there is a bus route that runs on Grant Ranch Blvd that goes to the Littleton light rail station.
2)As for a gym, there is Club USA on the west side of the neighborhood with fairly reasonable rates--they gave us 4 months free for signing a contract
3)You are right--there aren't extensive trails in the neighborhood itself however there are a lot of trails in this area within reasonable proximity.
Foothills Park & Recreation - Littleton, CO - Golf, Fitness, Pools, Senior Programs, Wellness (http://www.ifoothills.org/parks_Trails.asp - broken link)
Open Space Parks & Maps - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO

Also, the Grant Ranch neighborhood has a funny boundary line between Denver and Jefferson County, which will affect where your (in the future) kids will attend. Although, there is open enrollment available between all school dstricts here.

Good luck with your move!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,908 times
I moved to Highlands Ranch 2 years ago from Arizona and, for the most part, really love it here. I have 2 school aged children and am thrilled with the quality of education. My daughter is in high school and all of the high schools here are rated excellent. I have not heard of Grants Ranch, but here in Highlands there is plenty to do - tons of parks and walking trails. I noticed immediately upon moving here that people herevare very active - many cyclists, joggers, people always walking dogs. My HOA includes a membership to the Southridge rec center where I workout - beats monthly gym fees! If you are planning on kids I highly encourage you to look at Highlands Ranch as it is very kid and dog friendly. Also, I am happy to report my house has appreciated over $9,000 in 2 years which is a plus!
The downside is that I feel it can be a bit on the snooty side. Having lived in LA in college myself, I was used to the snootiness that can be found here. Having said that, people here and in CO in general are EXTREMELY nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver