Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:20 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK913 View Post
Did this re-employment consulting firm share any other insights with regard to the Denver job market?

Yeah, I know you're originally from Johnson County and not a big fan of the conservatism of the area based on some of your posts in other forums. So, I was just pointing out the bright side in that at least you don't live in Johnson County as opposed to Denver.
I'm on a Linkedin webinar with them right now. They highly suggest using it to network. I've already set up a profile on Linkedin, and used it to contact someone doing a job I applied for to try and network into the company.

They're good with helping with resumes, but then I'm a writer, so didn't really need help with that. If/when I get an interview, I think they'll be great with coaching prior to the interview. If I learn anything new, I'll post it.

Lucky not to be in JoCo now because I'm not a fan of the humidity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm on a Linkedin webinar with them right now. They highly suggest using it to network. I've already set up a profile on Linkedin, and used it to contact someone doing a job I applied for to try and network into the company.

They're good with helping with resumes, but then I'm a writer, so didn't really need help with that. If/when I get an interview, I think they'll be great with coaching prior to the interview. If I learn anything new, I'll post it.

I checked out Linkedin, they want money to contact people. D not have that right now. Any other sites you know of?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:52 PM

50 posts, read 156,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

Using LinkedIn to network wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure many people out there really use it for that purpose as it's a relatively new concept. I could be wrong though! I'm on LinkedIn, and it seems to be more of a way that people get back in touch. For example, I had two old high school buddies that I had lost contact with find me on LinkedIn long after I had moved away. I have never had anyone contact me on LinkedIn for job search or networking assistance.

If you do learn anything new with regard to LinkedIn networking, it's obvious a lot of Denverites (is that a word?) and wanna-be Denverites like myself would be interested in hearing more. The standard methods of job hunting just aren't going to work these days. You have literally hundreds of other people (maybe thousands) living inside and outside the Denver area applying for jobs posted on Careerbuilder and Monster.

About the Jo Co humidity, I completely agree. I hate it. Often during the summer here, you get Florida-style humidity but without Florida's beaches to go with it! When you drive from Denver to KC, there is a huge difference in the air. 90 degrees in Denver is far more tolerable than 90 degrees in KC!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM

43 posts, read 143,126 times
I'm working at Rite Aid in Oregon. Trying to do a store transfer to the Denver area in September. I'll be there in early Sep. I still dunno what I'll put for my address. I'm reluctant to put an Oregon one. Crossing my fingers it'll work though.

I don't want to work in retail but I also don't want to not have a job lined up when I get out there. I don't care if they can only work me twenty hours - it's something!

It sounds silly to move in this economy but I'm really unhappy where I'm at right now. I don't want my current full time job at Rite Aid to stop me from being happy and going on a new adventure to a different place. I considered waiting another six months but it'll probably just the same situation then... can't wait any longer.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:29 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looopson View Post
I'm working at Rite Aid in Oregon. Trying to do a store transfer to the Denver area in September. I'll be there in early Sep. I still dunno what I'll put for my address. I'm reluctant to put an Oregon one. Crossing my fingers it'll work though.

I don't want to work in retail but I also don't want to not have a job lined up when I get out there. I don't care if they can only work me twenty hours - it's something!

It sounds silly to move in this economy but I'm really unhappy where I'm at right now. I don't want my current full time job at Rite Aid to stop me from being happy and going on a new adventure to a different place. I considered waiting another six months but it'll probably just the same situation then... can't wait any longer.
I was born and raised in Oregon, I know what you mean. Good Luck with the transfer. I applied at several, not hiring, maybe transfers work better.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:57 PM

50 posts, read 156,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I checked out Linkedin, they want money to contact people. D not have that right now. Any other sites you know of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Even in Denver it is almost impossible. We are here and nothing. There is just no work and a lot of competition for what there is. We have no family here, but he had a job lined up and after we got here three months later, laid off. I love it here, but not at the cost of my family and future. We have to go elsewhere but maybe someday we can come back.
You can contact people on LinkedIn as a free member; however, you have to build a list of contacts (i.e. people you know) first. You can then contact anyone who is on the list of any of your contacts (the site calls them "connections).

For example, let's say you worked with Joe at ABC Corporation before the layoff. You add Joe to your list of contacts. He will receive an automated e-mail and will have to accept your request. Once he accepts your request to be added to your contact list, you'll be able to see and contact everyone on his list of contacts. You then see "John at XYZ Corporation" on Joe's contact list. You can then contact John via the LinkedIn site since you know Joe.

So, I would advise adding everyone that you and your family have met in Denver, including former colleagues before the layoff that you mentioned. Then you'll have access to their contacts without requiring payment.

LinkedIn requires a paid subscription if you want to contact someone who is not in your list of contacts or the lists of contacts of anyone you know (network).

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver