Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM

13 posts, read 31,096 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in Dallas and want to get out of what my husband calls "the concrete jungle"!! I have a twelve-year-old and an eight-year-old. We need to be close to Denver, for my husband to work. I am a teacher and will be looking for a job in the town we are living in. I have got until next spring to plan for this move, but need help?!?!
Here are the things we are looking for:
1. Great schools
2. Small town feel-but not too small (I would love a town with a quaint downtown area.)
3. Close enough to shopping so I can get my shopping fix when needed
4. Homes around $300,000 with friendly people, walking trails, neighborhood pool, etc.
5. A fitness/rec/community center closeby so I can get my workouts in
I know it is ALOT to ask for, but I feel like it has got to be out there in the great state of COLORADO!!
Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM

291 posts, read 911,489 times
You don't have a lot of choices, but I'm going to suggest Castle Rock, Longmont, Louisville, Golden, Littleton, and possible Brighton. Of course, your definition of a "quaint" downtown area is up for debate. Do you plan on walking to your quaint down town area? If you do, it will limit your choices. You may have a hard time finding many homes in Golden at your price range. Brighton is a community that's experienced a lot of residential growth in the last dozen years, but it has a blue collar down town. Longmont has a great downtown area but may be too far out. Littleton has a smaller downtown area, but is actually a small sub city surrounded by metro Denver. It does have good proxcimity to bike and walking trails, especially along the South Platte River. Castle Rock would also be a good choice. It's an easy commute to Denver along I-25.
Most of these areas would fit your needs (Brighton may be a stretch), but not sure what your mental picture of housing is like. Most of these areas would not offer what you would probably be looking for in housing that's a walkable distance.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:51 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
How close is close to Denver?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
How close is close to Denver?
Close enough for my husband to drive to work?!?!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:13 PM

I have read that Broomfield doesn't have a "downtown" area, but how does it fit in my list of "wants"??

Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 PM

What about Erie? It looks like a great small town? Is it too remote?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,093 times
If you want to stay on the South side of Denver, Then Castle Rock fits the bill. If you want to go a bit to the east, then you Parker will also meet your criteria. From the sounds of your request, you still want to be in suburbia, aka tract housing type planned communities. Both places have plenty of homes available due to the housing bust. One thing you will find immediately is that housing prices in Denver are a LOT higher than Dallas. 300k is the starting point for most communities. The 4k sq ft place in Dallas for 300k will shrink to 2500 including the basement. with a zero lot line lot. At least this applies to the southern half of Denver. To the North around Brighton, things are much cheaper.
(Brighton is flat and no scenery, Castle Rock is to the south with mountain views and rolling terrain. Parker is a bit hilly and kind of in between.)

As for your "close to town"...The outer commuting bands Denver stretch roughly 50 miles from City center. An hour drive is not unusual. Castle Rock is only 15 minutes south of the Tech Center and is a real easy commute. There are also commuter buses that run from Castle Rock to Downtown operated by FREX. Light rail doesn't run to Castle Rock, but you can pick it up around Lincoln Ave, which is about 10 minutes from Castle Rock.
Both towns have historic downtown areas. Both are in Douglas county, which rates at the top of the school districts. Personal Opinion: Castle Rock is a more conservative and small town type place. Parker has grown to be another Burb of Denver and the people tend to be pretentious and rude sometimes. Parker also has lousy "California type" drivers...blinkers...never heard of them....wont think twice about cutting you off so they can slam on the brakes to make a turn to get to starbucks.... You know the type.

Over all you probably be happy with either. If you dont want tract housing, you will need to push your price range up to 400k to get something on an acre on Parker or 450k for an acre in Castle Rock. Plus you will have to be OK with going 5 miles out of town and giving up most of your amenities.

Nav

Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 AM

Thanks so much! I will check into both towns.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama02 View Post
I have read that Broomfield doesn't have a "downtown" area, but how does it fit in my list of "wants"??
This is true. However, it has a great sense of community and meets all your other criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama02 View Post
What about Erie? It looks like a great small town? Is it too remote?
It has no downtown, or much of any other kind of shopping, has a rec center, a small library, and is qute a drive from Denver.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It has no downtown, or much of any other kind of shopping, has a rec center, a small library, and is qute a drive from Denver.
Erie has a short stretch of main street that last time I was there doesn't have a whole lot of anything there except dust! Lots of new developments around but it is a good drive to Denver. If you worked in Broomfield or Boulder might be somewhere to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver