Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,342 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have been reading threads off and on for a few months and gathered a lot of information about the downtown area . So, thank you to all of the regulars on here! This is my first time posting. My boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s and planning to move downtown this Sep or Oct. We currently live in Gilbert (suburb of Phoenix) and can't wait to get out. My boyfriend is transferring within his company and we will be coming with some savings. We really want to stay downtown preferably LODO, 16th St, LOHI areas. We have found a lot of great rental options but we are nervous to commit to certain price ranges until I know about a job. This is where any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a masters degree in social work and a specialization in child welfare. I have one year experience working in homelessness (during grad school) and 1 year experience in child welfare (post grad). I also completed 2 year long internships in child welfare. Ideally I would love to be in mental health, hospital work, or get back into homelessness; but I am very open to any decent paying social work job in Denver.

I have done a few searches in city/county/state jobs and found a few options but I don't know where else to look outside of government jobs. Also, coming from out of state (I have read the threads on how difficult this is ) I am wondering when to start applying. Is it too early to start now? I am hoping not to have more than a 30 minute commute. What is the job market like for social workers right now? How many applicants are there for each job (on average of course)? Will it be difficult not having very much experience and not being licensed (a job that will pay for licensing would be awesome!!)?

Any help you can send my way is most appreciated!! We are so excited to get out there but I am very nervous about the job situation. As I mentioned, this is my first post, so please let me know if you have any questions or if I need to be more specific. Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver wannabe View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been reading threads off and on for a few months and gathered a lot of information about the downtown area . So, thank you to all of the regulars on here! This is my first time posting. My boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s and planning to move downtown this Sep or Oct. We currently live in Gilbert (suburb of Phoenix) and can't wait to get out. My boyfriend is transferring within his company and we will be coming with some savings. We really want to stay downtown preferably LODO, 16th St, LOHI areas. We have found a lot of great rental options but we are nervous to commit to certain price ranges until I know about a job. This is where any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a masters degree in social work and a specialization in child welfare. I have one year experience working in homelessness (during grad school) and 1 year experience in child welfare (post grad). I also completed 2 year long internships in child welfare. Ideally I would love to be in mental health, hospital work, or get back into homelessness; but I am very open to any decent paying social work job in Denver.

I have done a few searches in city/county/state jobs and found a few options but I don't know where else to look outside of government jobs. Also, coming from out of state (I have read the threads on how difficult this is ) I am wondering when to start applying. Is it too early to start now? I am hoping not to have more than a 30 minute commute. What is the job market like for social workers right now? How many applicants are there for each job (on average of course)? Will it be difficult not having very much experience and not being licensed (a job that will pay for licensing would be awesome!!)?

Any help you can send my way is most appreciated!! We are so excited to get out there but I am very nervous about the job situation. As I mentioned, this is my first post, so please let me know if you have any questions or if I need to be more specific. Thanks again!!!
social work
is very much like fencing
some people are crazy about everything to do about fencing----
except fencing

Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,160,585 times
Check out the hospital websites and school district websites such as DPS. Also check out: Colorado Nonprofit Association: Nonprofit Job Board for jobs at various non-profits.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,342 times
Thanks Yodi! Great ideas. I will look into them. Any idea on what the market is like right now for social workers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver