U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:26 PM

13,786 posts, read 28,174,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2010 View Post
The black community is very well-established in East and Northeast Denver.
...and in Aurora. SE Denver is pretty diverse overall as well (particularly the Hampden Ave corridor east of I-25).
Rate this post positively

Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 AM

9,963 posts, read 17,639,777 times
Default So far so good.

I feel inclined to address this as I have to admit I was a little worried coming to Denver from the very diverse SF Bay Area. We have only been in the Denver area for 2 weeks, but so far I have noticed 0 problems as a Hispanic family here(I can usually detect racism within a few days). I live amongst white, Hispanic and Asian families for the most part with some black couples as well and MANY mixed couples. I think because we live in a newer area (belmar) it has attracted a younger more diverse crowd.

Now I am highly aware of racial tension, racial consciousness and racist behavior. IMO the Denver Metro seems quite integrated, and generally tolerant. I would even say that it seems more racially tolerant than most parts of California that I have lived in.

This has been a pleasant surprise for us, so far, and I hope it just continues this way.

P.S. It has also been refreshing to see other races/ethnicity besides just us Hispanics doing lawncare, cooking, babysitting etc. Honestly it has changed my perspective on a few things in America.

Last edited by Mach50; 08-13-2010 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 11:27 AM

13,786 posts, read 28,174,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Honestly it has changed my perspective on a few things in America.
Welcome to "the rest of America".

Old 08-13-2010, 12:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,488,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNewbie76 View Post
Ok here goes...my heart is dead set on relocating to Denver. Currently I reside in Atlanta(a transplant from NJ)been down here for 2yrs and I am ready to GO!!!!!! I have had enough! Anyway I have been reading the threads on here and have come across a few from black(african americans)complaining about the "the black experience" in Denver. It kind of leaves me puzzled because I am raising three african american boys 11 and 16yrs old and I do not want them to feel "out of place". Also I have a 19yr african american son who is in college and when he comes home for school breaks I want him to be able to fit in. Race has never played any major part in our lives. We DO NOT see color. My husband and I are both white and have friends from many different racial backgrounds. My question is in your opinion will the boys feel out of place in Denver? Also what is your opinion on Denver as a whole? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the quality of life there. Is Denver more of urban city or have more like a small town feel?
In my experience with Denver I found the people to be extremely friendly and agreeable. It's majority white, but there are still plenty of blacks as well as other minorities and everyone seems to get along very well.

I also lived in Atlanta for a few years and let me tell you, Denver is hands down a better place to live. I know why you're ready to leave. You're tired of all the traffic, the rude people, poor and unprofessional service everywhere you go, high crime rate, and the general backwardness that is part and parcel to life in Atlanta. And talk about racial tension: the blacks hate the whites and the whites hate them back, but they keep quiet because they're outnumbered. To give you some perspective, I grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and although Texas seems to get singled out as some kind of racist stronghold, in my opinion blacks and whites get along much better here than they do in Atlanta. I wouldn't move back to Atlanta even if my company doubled my salary. Life is just too short.

I think that you and your sons will love Denver once you get settled in. Good luck!

Last edited by Zekester; 08-13-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 01:38 PM

3,868 posts, read 7,057,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
P.S. It has also been refreshing to see other races/ethnicity besides just us Hispanics doing lawncare, cooking, babysitting etc. Honestly it has changed my perspective on a few things in America.
It's funny that you mention that because I moved from "the rest of America" to California and lived there for two years and had sort of the opposite reaction. It was funny to me that basically the only people doing lawncare, cooking, babysitting, construction, etc. etc. were hispanic/latino because that certainly wasn't the case where I grew up in Pennsylvania.

I also got a kick out of the fact that neighbors would stop and talk to me when I would wash and wax my own vehicle. It was such a conversation starter mostly because they were curious as to why I would want to do the work myself instead of finding and paying someone else to do it.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 PM

40 posts, read 89,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
In my experience with Denver I found the people to be extremely friendly and agreeable. It's majority white, but there are still plenty of blacks as well as other minorities and everyone seems to get along very well.

I also lived in Atlanta for a few years and let me tell you, Denver is hands down a better place to live. I know why you're ready to leave. You're tired of all the traffic, the rude people, poor and unprofessional service everywhere you go, high crime rate, and the general backwardness that is part and parcel to life in Atlanta. And talk about racial tension: the blacks hate the whites and the whites hate them back, but they keep quiet because they're outnumbered. To give you some perspective, I grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and although Texas seems to get singled out as some kind of racist stronghold, in my opinion blacks and whites get along much better here than they do in Atlanta. I wouldn't move back to Atlanta even if my company doubled my salary. Life is just too short.

I think that you and your sons will love Denver once you get settled in. Good luck!
I currently live in Atlanta but i grew up in a small town about 2 hours south. I moved here to go to college. It really pisses me off to see all of the people who come here from other parts of the county label us based on preconceived notions. The problems that Atlanta has EVERY big city across the country has. Its not just the South... You people are ridiculous

Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,562 times
Denver is a great place if you can afford the high taxes. Vehicle licenses are very high as most states go. In Denver area the vehicle license do not decrease in cost until you have owned the vehicle 10 years. Some of the suburbs are same.

Have seen many multi races here and no one gives it a thought. I believe your sons will be very accepted.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 AM

331 posts, read 957,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKING28 View Post
I currently live in Atlanta but i grew up in a small town about 2 hours south. I moved here to go to college. It really pisses me off to see all of the people who come here from other parts of the county label us based on preconceived notions. The problems that Atlanta has EVERY big city across the country has. Its not just the South... You people are ridiculous
What do you mean "You people"?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 PM

5,089 posts, read 14,751,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustytuu View Post
Denver is a great place if you can afford the high taxes. Vehicle licenses are very high as most states go. In Denver area the vehicle license do not decrease in cost until you have owned the vehicle 10 years. Some of the suburbs are same.

Have seen many multi races here and no one gives it a thought. I believe your sons will be very accepted.
NO, this is not correct. The license cost decreases every year, as the car ages, and stays the same after 10 years. However, it is extremely costly to own to license a car in Colorado. That is why I have a 16 year old car, which I bought new, and I saw the cost to register decrease every year to now, a very low rate. I have owned four new cars in this state and cost to register decreased every year.

Livecontent

Old 08-21-2010, 08:08 AM

9 posts, read 16,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2010 View Post
Sorry to open an old thread...but what neighborhood are you considering? South Denver is generally pretty white, or very Hispanic if you're in the southwest or even southeast. The black community is very well-established in East and Northeast Denver.
I live in South Denver (Centennial) and it is mostly Caucasian and Hispanic. Nevertheless, I still enjoy living here. I have been here for a almost a month and have not experienced hardly any race-related issues that I know of. I really like it down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver