U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,331,591 times

Advertisements

Now it's want to move to Stapleton. I think. By now you should now that I'm extremely wishy washy. LOL. But either way, yes, home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
I like it, Iwanttomovesouth (Denver, that is).

There's no place like home.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM

2,811 posts, read 6,713,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
Now it's want to move to Stapleton. I think. By now you should now that I'm extremely wishy washy. LOL. But either way, yes, home.
So, could you even go back to wanttomoveeast? I think Stapleton is east of Thornton, no?

In any case, welcome home.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:19 PM

hmmm, where we live in Thornton, Stapleton is a little more west and much more south. So wanttomovealittlemorewestandalittlemoresouth. Or Stapleton.

Anyhow, back to diversity. I'm enjoying what I see in Stapleton. Lots of mixed races and mixed couples and that is lovely to see.

Where I am in Thornton, verrry white. But then a few Fridays ago, we went to Brewski's on 104th and low and behold there were black people!! And hispanic!! And some east Indians! and whites! All mixed up! That's not usually the norm.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 PM

13,786 posts, read 28,178,711 times
Quote:
hmmm, where we live in Thornton, Stapleton is a little more west and much more south. So wanttomovealittlemorewestandalittlemoresouth. Or Stapleton.

Anyhow, back to diversity. I'm enjoying what I see in Stapleton. Lots of mixed races and mixed couples and that is lovely to see.

Where I am in Thornton, verrry white. But then a few Fridays ago, we went to Brewski's on 104th and low and behold there were black people!! And hispanic!! And some east Indians! and whites! All mixed up! That's not usually the norm.
Exactly, you just need to go souther in Thornton.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 22,371,899 times
Quote:

Most of central Aurora (basically everything between Havana & Buckley, 6th Ave to Smoky Hill Rd) is like that too-- diverse & integrated. Though not much in the way of wine bars and fancy restaurants.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 AM

14,163 posts, read 25,884,708 times
Quote:

That's the odd thing I've noticed about Stapleton.. well maybe more interesting than odd. There are so many mixed-race couples here. Maybe even moreso than couples that are both of the same minority.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 AM

@David: But that area is not all new and fancy like I want. : (
@Vegas: We looked at that area, haven't ruled it out. We could always have our wine bars downtown.
@Denverian: I'm really sold on Stapleton. Now if we could just sell our home. : )

Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Status: "Ultra MAGA Bill Clinton Democrat here!" (set 19 days ago)

27,860 posts, read 19,184,611 times
I think one of the things that people confuse is "Diversity versus Acceptance". I would much rather live in a safe city that was accepting of my race than a supposed "Diverse" city where each race was not open to the others within that city.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM

339 posts, read 1,235,562 times
I don't look at things as face value. I analyze everything which may or may not be a good thing but it generally helps me get a better grip on what's really going on.

I see a lot of this 'mixed race' stuff being bought up here and I would like to clarify what that means to other people who may not have been here before.

Majority of 'mixed race couples' are Black people dating White. And that's mostly it. Now, this whole Atlanta thing...Atlanta is in THE SOUTH. Georgia. The vibe there is not going to be the same as it is in Denver. And FYI, I have met guys from Atlanta and also been there, who weren't Black and I actually found them to be a bit more adjusted to getting with a Black person than they are in Denver.

Denver may not be 'racist' per say and I wouldn't use that word to describe it, but I will say if you want anything more than a Black-White or a Black-Black couple as a Black person...it's pretty slim.

I think people here are kind of narrow when it comes down to it. Although I won't ever be going back to my home state to live, When I went back to Tampa, Florida few months ago I felt like I had a lot more options to choose from than here. As a Black person, if you wanted to date a Black person you can. Latino? You can. White? You can. And it wasn't just Mexican like it is in Colorado. It's Puerto Rican, It's Cuban, It's Mexican (rare). That doesn't seem to exist in this ****ing Colorado. And you can do it as often as you like without having to have a 'majority' shoved in your face all the time. But here in Denver my options seem mostly limited to just Black and White.

Nobody is going to outright say or admit, "it's racist here" in any city. This topic can be bought up in every city on the forum and people will still give examples of their neighbor, or people they've come across at the store, or their sister's Black friend's brother's cousin who dated a White girl.

So my verdict? Denver is not racist on the surface but it is prejudice to me. It's just in different forms. When I have a White person walks up to me in a bar and says, "I'm not normally attracted to Blacks BUT, you're hot", or when a Latino guy told me, "I'm mostly into other Latinos BUT" What the hell is that? It's prejudice. It's discrimination. And I've heard that here in Denver. Why can't I just be a good looking Black person without making it seem like my race is unattractive? Because many people native to Denver are narrow-minded and they can't see past that. Now, I bet you would never hear a White or Latino person say something like that in Atlanta. They'd been of gotten popped in the mouth. Yet these crackers and wetbachs out here think it's a compliment. And it's not. It's an insult. Love me for me and see beyond the fact that I'm Black. Travel more. Get out to different cities and open your mind. There's more than just the mountain standard time zone where most places are less than 10% Black and everything else is White and Mexican.

Let's not focus on people who are here from other states. Let's focus on the locals, the people who been here all their life. That's what's going to make up the character of a place.

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 06-06-2011 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 PM

357 posts, read 1,233,959 times
okay. while I don't agree with the use of the terms you use to identify people, I will comment on what you say. yes, there is racism here, but it's mostly of the "ignorance" kind rather than the "kkk" kind. I know cuz i went out campaigning for Obama and you can just imagine what many white people felt was acceptable to say to me, a black woman, about obama (and many of them were voting for him *sigh*) . The ones that weren't voting for him were even worse. That said, they can be educated, it will just take work. It's not my job to educate them-I have a life to live. They will find out sooner or later that they're insensitive, ignorant boobs and will adapt (fingers crossed). till then, I giggle a lot, and protect my child from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver