U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM

5,090 posts, read 14,711,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
I grew up in Denver and due to forced busing, went to a predominantly black school. (I am white.) My neighborhood was *fairly* diverse for it's time. I liked the mix we had of races, religions, ethnicities. I think that has only improved through the years. My nieces & nephews are all of mixed heritage and I think we as adults worry about it enough for both the kids and us. The children aren't even giving it a passing nod. They range in age from 2 to 31, and have attended schools in Denver, Aurora, Littleton, & Arvada.

IMO, every generation gets better at rightly accepting it...every generation (hopefully) leaves a bit more of the negativity and "stigma" behind. Is there even anyone left who dares to knock an inter-racial marriage/family? Out loud, I mean. Even the few who still feel it's wrong have some sense to keep their opinions silent. I think your family will love it in Denver.
This is a good post from someone who has the experience of living the history in Denver. Yes, every generation is getting better. What I have tried to do in my life is not carry my bad experience from my past into my future and avoid teaching the children to hate and despise others because of their color.

I have been in Denver for over 30 years and my experiences are much better today than my experiences in the past with race relation. It is because Denver is so much more a relaxed place to live. Also it partly because I am also a better person because I have had numerous more instances to interact with different people over my life.

So, I would say if you want to come to Colorado--learn a new way of living. Also be careful what you teach your children, for they are going to make the new world--make your children better than you.

livecontent
Rate this post positively

Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,308,389 times
2bindenver:

I honestly can't say I've ever seen anything in Denver like what goes on in certain parts of Texas or the South. I would have moved long ago if that was the case.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM

13,776 posts, read 28,035,880 times
I'm going to try and look at the OP's post in a simple sense.

Mom and Dad are white and their three sons are black. The OP is wondering if the boys will feel out of place in Denver.

Should they feel out of place in a place where there aren't tons of black people around? Do they need black people around to feel comfortable? Or, would they feel comfortable anywhere? Those are questions that only the boys, or possibly the parents can answer.

Is there a substantial black population in Denver? Yes and no. It depends on where in Denver metro you are. I would expect to see some families that look just like theirs' mostly east of I-25/south of the Adams County line (within Denver), or anywhere with an Aurora address.

As some of you know, my father is Hispanic and my mother was white non-Hispanic. So I am white non-Hispanic and Hispanic. Should I feel more comfortable in places with substantial white non-Hispanic and Hispanic populations, somewhere like Denver? Would I feel comfortable in New Hampshire, or South Texas?

I don't think it's the racial/ethnic make-up of a population that matters. I think an unknown set of factors determine whether a place is racist, same goes for whether somebody would feel comfortable in said place. I didn't feel more comfortable in Denver or Southern CA where I could see more people that looked like me. I feel extraordinarily comfortable where I am now, where I never see people like me.

So I don't think there is a barometer, yardstick or ruler that can tell the OP whether the boys will feel comfortable, or whether or not they will be victims of racism. Unfortunately we rely on hearsay and/or the media to tell us if a place is welcoming, passive, or racist.

I would challenge this family to simply live their life wherever they choose to live, now or in the future, regardless of what everybody else looks like. I honestly don't think this family has anything to worry about in Denver, as far as "feeling comfortable" goes, I've always said anybody can make it/get along just fine in Denver.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Good post David and a lot of times I disagree with you. But I do think it's a personal thing. It's not measured, but really depends on who you are, where you grew up, who your parents are, etc.

As far as Denver goes, I think it's a pretty good mini city.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:34 AM

13,776 posts, read 28,035,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Good post David and a lot of times I disagree with you. But I do think it's a personal thing. It's not measured, but really depends on who you are, where you grew up, who your parents are, etc.

As far as Denver goes, I think it's a pretty good mini city.
Really? A lot of times you disagree with me? Ouch.

Like you infer above, everybody's experience is and will be different.

I agree that Denver is a (far) better-than average city. But, from my current perspective, Denver is a HUGE CITY.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:35 AM

5,090 posts, read 14,711,007 times
Thank You to all the people who have actual real experience of living a multi-racial life. I think is is very important to say that Denver is not that bad of a place to live. If we accept the racial comments from some posters than some of these negatives can become true, because they are believed.

In addition, misrepresentation of neighborhoods cause bad perceptions that can actually cause the neighborhoods to deteriorate. So, let us try be honest, but also try to emphasis good changes that are happening in Denver.

Livecontent

Old 07-24-2009, 01:32 PM

I thought so.... maybe that was a different David! LOL

oh wait, so you are from somewhere smaller than Denver? Well, it's all in perception. I've lived here a very long time, and to me Denver seems really smallish. Kinda sprawly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Really? A lot of times you disagree with me? Ouch.

Like you infer above, everybody's experience is and will be different.

I agree that Denver is a (far) better-than average city. But, from my current perspective, Denver is a HUGE CITY.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM

Hey no problem on being born! I'd like to say it's been fun, but there were many rocky roads for me. Some not being the fault of others, mainly just me trying to find myself, a lot being from others. My childhood was hard as I was the only brown person in the entire school. I learned what real racism is and I learned what true hatred is. Those experiences I carry with me for the rest of my life.

Those bad experiences were when I grew up in a small Colorado town. Moving to Denver helped me a lot with that. I got some exposure to blacks and other ethnicities. I gained a great higher education from college.

Overall, I'd say Denver has a lot of very good things going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Thank You to all the people who have actual real experience of living a multi-racial life. I think is is very important to say that Denver is not that bad of a place to live. If we accept the racial comments from some posters than some of these negatives can become true, because they are believed.

In addition, misrepresentation of neighborhoods cause bad perceptions that can actually cause the neighborhoods to deteriorate. So, let us try be honest, but also try to emphasis good changes that are happening in Denver.

Livecontent

Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM

23 posts, read 82,316 times
I love Denver. It's one of my favorite cities in the country. You will probably find at least one racist person everywhere you go, but Denver is certainly not known for racism. On the contrary, it's generally a very progressive city.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 PM

76,761 posts, read 104,603,757 times
Denver is a progressive city and they should be fine. It is a city that is around 12-13% Black, but had a Black mayor for 12 years from 1991 to 2003. He grew up in Denver too. It's next mayor was or is Hispanic. Most of the Black community is in Denver and Aurora, with some sprinkling of Black folks across the metro. It is a city and area known for being good for interracial couple too. So, I think they will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver